Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

Let the restoration begin

dgjks6

Thank you to everyone for you kind words. I am glad that this was entertaining - and hopefully somewhat informative.

The plan today was to mow, but mother nature wanted me to spend the day in my garage.

So this post is going to be:

Post restoration day #1 - the aftermath

First about the tractor. I went to show off my working headlights, and guess what? One burned out. 1 day old tractor and already needs maintainence.

In this picture is parts that are no longer good and have been replaced. They are going in the trash - unless I get creative and make a sculpture out of them.

DSCF7262.jpg

These are extra parts that I acquired during the restoration that are still good. As I was looking at this I remembered I said I would ship someone the old fuel pump. Time to go back through my PM's. It is amazing how you can completely forget something. Not sure if I am going to try to sell or save.

DSCF7265.jpg

These are parts I think I replaced with new - 95% sure

DSCF7264.jpg

And these are parts I have no idea where they go.

DSCF7263.jpg

And finally this part came out of the "Parts I replaced" box - but I don't think I replaced it and I have no idea what it is.

DSCF7266.jpg

And still trying to figure out where this goes (thanks to rmaynard for the pics for the others):

DSCF7254-1.jpg

Now for the plan.

I am going to ask my wife what she needs done around the house now that I am done with the tractor. Then look like I am making plans to do those things - by collecting tools, cleaning the garage and basment, and overall just looking busy. In reality - in my mind - I am planning where, how, and what to do to the 416-8.

Duff

Greg, in your first picture is that attachment lift handle bent or why did you replace it? I'm looking for one......

As to the decal you have circled, that's an "extra" for a hydro drive tractor. I got a set of 312 decals from Terry that had both the manual shift and hydro decals. I just put the hydro decal aside for a future project. :D

Oh...in your "mystery" parts picture, the rubber bumpers with the bolts were part of a seat assembly at some point. And the funny looking bent sheet metal nut thingy (top right in the picture next to the rubber bumper) is a speed nut used to hold on some of the sheet metal. On the 312's there are a dozen of them here and there around the dash tower, shift cover and side covers.

Great project you completed! :thumbs:

Duff :wh:

dgjks6

As far as the lift arm, the button was stuck. Turns out the arm is bent. I tried to unbend but no luck. If you want it let me know. I haven't had time to get to the post office im a while, but if you want it - its yours. I found one on ebay for $25.

As far as the seat things - I keep looking to see where they go, but I have all the pieces on correctly as far as the manual states.

That other clip - I keep looking to see where it goes, but I can't find it. I guess I will wait until something falls off.

rueger-99

Is that muffler any good?? I'm not sure if it would fit but I need one for a c-120. From what I can see it looks the same.

mavfreak

And finally this part came out of the "Parts I replaced" box - but I don't think I replaced it and I have no idea what it is.

DSCF7266.jpg

That to me looks like the cup that fits on top of the lifting arm that the return spring fits into

I seen on one of your posts that the rubber gromets under your seat have already been replaced so I don't think thats were they go.

whfan74

Your persistence has been astounding. The tractor turned out very, very nice! :thumbs: I am glad that you were able to stick with it and see it through to completion. :wh:

That tractor is going to last you for a very, very long time!

It is great to see the family already starting to enjoy it in the pictures.

WH854

Those black rubber grommets go on the bottem of the seat plate. The back 2 holes that fasten 2 the seat spring, I think they keep the plate from banging up your fender pan. hope this is clear to you :thumbs: They are called rubber bumpers

Chas

dgjks6

Is that muffler any good?? I'm not sure if it would fit but I need one for a c-120. From what I can see it looks the same.

Its a different part number from the c-120, but you can give it a try. Just give me some time to get to the post office and I will send it out.

Stigian

That's a great build Greg, glad you stuck with it and got it finished :thumbs:

TT

And these are parts I have no idea where they go.

DSCF7263.jpg

The clip in the center of this picture goes under the right front oil pan (to engine block) bolt and secures the wire going to the points.

wireclip006.jpg

The rubber bumpers go under the flip-up seat mount and attach with the same bolts that fasten the back of the "U" shaped springs to the plate.

bumped.jpg

dgjks6

Thanks TT.

AndI thought I was done using this emoticon:

:thumbs:

It amazes me how many times I can look at something and not see what was in front of my eyes. In my defense, we got a new washing machine and it came with stops from the factory that looked very similar - I thought maybe my son tossed them in the box after he took them off.