Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

Let the restoration begin

TT

I THINK that guide was only used on the automatic/hydro models.

Kelly

Tractor is looking very good, but I have to warn you on the fuse holders you have, I picked some up at Walmart and everyone of them has taken a crap, loose wires they were not crimped very good, before you install them pull on the wires to see if they are tight in the holder, it took me a bit to figure out my new wiring was junk, you may be lucky just check.

dgjks6

I THINK that guide was only used on the automatic/hydro models.

Thanks. I am going to go with that theory. I have looked though pictures since you said that and I think you are right.

dgjks6

Tractor is looking very good, but I have to warn you on the fuse holders you have, I picked some up at Walmart and everyone of them has taken a crap, loose wires they were not crimped very good, before you install them pull on the wires to see if they are tight in the holder, it took me a bit to figure out my new wiring was junk, you may be lucky just check.

I went to Autozone to get some better ones, and they sell the same brand.

Kelly

Just pull on the wire to see if it pulls out, if not you should be ok.

dgjks6

I fell like Christmas morning. I got the choke and gas tank and gas line on. The electric ran.

Today my brother is coming in from Pittsburgh to help. The goal you ask?

Put on the throttle and start it!!

I will let you know how it goes.

mavfreak

fingers are crossed! Good luck, not that you'll need it!

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

We're relying on your 'Yippee it Runs!' Posting , as over here , we can't see or hear the Party Poppers, Fireworks and Champers Corks flying......we're waiting with anticipation!

bitten

Man, I'm really hoping that it fires for you. :thumbs:

Horse'n Around

Man, I'm really hoping that it fires for you. :thumbs:

Well said, me too. I bet it runs like a champ! :thumbs:

John

dgjks6

ITS ALIVE.

Ok - you get a story today and not pictures.

Brother was supposed to be here at 11am. Got here at 12:12. He brought nerf guns and had to shoot all of my kids for a while. Then I got him to the garage. He is working on a 1952 MG TD in his garage - he is in year 6 of the part by part restore. Anyway - he accepts my quirks and lets me put shrink wrap on all the wires (even in places where it is for looks and not much service) and lets me polish all the bolts before putting in. We run the electric and put on the seat. We run the throttle cable. He reads the manual - in less than 5 minutes, and heres the bad part, he connected the throttle and governor without following the step by step instructions I had memorized. I kept telling him he was not doing it like the manual said. He told me not to worry, he was doing it right.

Then I have to go and get my son and I'm gone for an hour. When I get home I have 1 hour and 14 minutes until I have to go out with my wife. So we hurry and get it moved out of the garage, tighten the electric, put in gas and oil, get the battery from the 416-8, and crank.

After a few seconds its off and running, took 45 seconds to warm up, then ran smooth with no choke.

No idea how he did it, but his connections worked. Then I had to shower and leave to go out, and just got back.

I feel like a kid on Christmas.

Tomorrow we are going to put on the drive pulley and PTO so we can put some load on it and fine tune everything.

Stigian

Congrats on getting the engine running, there's nothing quite like a running engine to spur you on to getting the rest of the project finished :thumbs:

Hat's off to you for sticking with this rebuild, I'm sure I'd of broken it up for spares if it was me..

:thumbs: for the very entertaining read, you've kept me laughing, grinning for many hours while I have read this whole thread.

Keep up the good work Sir :thumbs:

mavfreak

:thumbs:

whfan74

This is just fantastic! :thumbs:

I am glad she fired right up for you. I have followed this thread as well and appreciate your dilligence right up to the end. This will be one machine that you can be very proud of. Looking forward to more pics when you have time!

Horse'n Around

:thumbs: :thumbs::drool::drool: This is great news. Thank to you taking us all along with you on this journey to restore your tractor, we have shared your agony and torments and now we get to share your well deserved triumph. As Lone Waite on The Outlaw Josey Wales said... "Endeavor to persevere".

You did it !!!!! :thumbs::drool::thumbs:

John

312Hydro

Thank you for documenting your great :thumbs: build! I read the entire post and learned quite a few tips on restoration. You must be very proud of the finished result and kudos for getting your family involved. I agree with the others in that you have much more tractor than a "big box grass cutter" for the money invested. The experience alone is invaluable, but I suspect that you have some type of exposure to mechanics as you never quit when the going got rough! Take a bow,O Warrior of the Wheel Horse,you deserve it! :thumbs:

wheelhorse656

Excellent!!!! Excellent!!! :thumbs: Glad she is running good! Good luck with finishing her up! :thumbs::thumbs: :thumbs:

jdpuller

:thumbs: :thumbs::thumbs:

Good work. It will be so much more fun to use now that you have done all of this work your self.

dgjks6

OK - this is getting old. I have written this post three times and keep having interenet issues. SO I am going to be quick, instead of one long post, you get a few short ones with lots of spelling errors

Day #291

Parts = $1130 (no change)

Tools = $397 (no change)

Disposables = $283 ($40 in electrical stuff, pins and clips - I have enough electircial stuff to do several horses now)

And pics and videos - my son volunteerd to be the test pilot - he helped some, never with much enthusiasm, but was happy to try it out

DSCF7153.jpg

DSCF7154.jpg

DSCF7166.jpg

DSCF7168.jpg

th_DSCF7164.jpg

th_DSCF7163.jpg

and now a quick press of the send key and hope ti works

dgjks6

Man this internet sucks.

Now for more pics and questions

Here is the herd - while my wife was out all the horses and the craftsman came out and parked in her spot. Then I went to work. And turned off my cell phone. And hid from everyone. Even the 416 got moved. And yes, she did find out about it, and I did have to move into the doghouse for a few days.

DSCF7170.jpg

Now, what is this?

DSCF7162.jpg

And is this OK for the throttle cable routing? My brother ran it inside the PTO and belt. And used a cable tie, the cable I think is the wrong one, the high to low throttle movement is limited but it changes the rpm's are correct.

DSCF7158.jpg

DSCF7171.jpg

And is this correct for the seat. The seat is all the way back and still not as far back as far as the other tractors seats. I think its an aftermarket seat.

DSCF7156.jpg

DSCF7157.jpg

Now all I can is WINNER

dgjks6

And the final post, and excuse me if I cry a little. I would like to thank everyone here on red square. without you guys this would not be possible.

All thats left is to put on the sheet metal, paint the hood, secure the wiring, switch the tires and rims from the 416, put on some decals, and mow some grass.

btrrg1969

your seat springs are backwards

dgjks6

your seat springs are backwards

:thumbs:

And you know those are the only parts I did not take apart and clean and paint. It is on the to do list, but my borther was in a hurry.

frankiefiredog

I envy you.

I envy your project.

I envy your patience.

Hats off to you neighbor. That is one fine looking :drool:

I salute you and the work that you have done.

I salute you for all that you have learned.

I appreciate the thought and effort you put in to your posts telling the story.

Thank you for sharing. Job well done! Another Horse saved!

:drool::thumbs::drool:

:thumbs::thumbs: :thumbs:

JimD

Greg, you've done a fine job on this restoration Hat's off to you. Plase poost a few more pics when you have the heet metal on to how the complete tractor. Again, excellent work! :thumbs: :thumbs: