Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

Let the restoration begin

dgjks6

Bored at work again. Off to buy soldering tools after work today. I am just thinking about all of the new skills I have learned so far. I rebuilt a carb, rebuilt a motor, rebuilt a trans, learned to sand and paint (still not good, but getting better), learned to remove stuck bolts from multiple positions, read an electrical schematic and use a multimeter, learned several new swear words, gotten better at first aid, spent time with my kids, got yelled at by my wife, and now I am going to learn to solder wires. Only major thing left is starting and tuning an engine - providing it will start at all.

mavfreak

I thought I learned every swear word there was from my grandfather but any time I work on something I find ways to come up with new ones.

meadowfield

I thought I learned every swear word there was from my grandfather but any time I work on something I find ways to come up with new ones.

Me too !

my favourites are multi syllable ones - you can split them in two and insert other swear words....

I'll leave them to your imagination - using created when things you are holding suddenly get very hot, or the welder spits down your shirt or in your shoe!!!

:thumbs: :thumbs:

mavfreak

Me too !

my favourites are multi syllable ones - you can split them in two and insert other swear words....

I'll leave them to your imagination - using created when things you are holding suddenly get very hot, or the welder spits down your shirt or in your shoe!!!

:thumbs::thumbs:

weld in the shoe makes for very interesting dance moves! We used to have so much fun were I used to work teasing each other when that happened!

Horse'n Around

That's what I call the pain dance and what "John Travolta" was for disco, I am for the pain dance, Ive also been know to practice my vocabulary of expletives while doing my dance, both the usual expletives and the ones that I have made up out of necessity :thumbs: In 1982 I was a bodyman at a Nissan dealership in Tucson and I was using the MIG under a car doing a couple of spot welds on the underside of a rocker panel overhead. I guess I had my mouth open and a spark snuck behind the mask/shield and somehow managed to fly into my mouth and it stuck to the back side of my right front upper tooth.Boy I cant tell you how wonderful that felt! Then I flinched/jumped and smacked the side of my head into the rocker panel :thumbs: My expletive vocabulary increased by 25% that day :thumbs:

John

Toejam

Dont feel bad I just did the same thing pulling my flywheel this morning :thumbs: . I got it off after running a tap in and putting the bolts in all the way.

I love this thread :thumbs:. Good Luck.

dgjks6

you guys are killin me :thumbs:

dgjks6

I am trying to put the wiring harness back in. I am looking at all of the pictues I have and I am comparing them to my other tractors.

First look closely at the picture and I will ask my questions by number:

DSCF6258-1.jpg

see black arrow:

My 312-8 and the 416-8 have the wires to the rear of the tractor for the seat switch and the clutch pedal switch attached here and not the gas line. Which is correct?

the green arrow is the wire for the clutch pdeal interlock switch. It looks like it is coming out of the hole below (red arrow) but this should not be possible. Is it? Does anything go through that hole?

Any ideas are always appreciated.

Oh - and while we are at it - the wire for the head;ight looks likes it goes through the sttering shaft hole:

DSCF6245.jpg

Is that correct?

Aussie

Sorry I can't help with the wiring Greg but the tractor is looking good and starting to come together really well

Another thing to get you dancing and expanding your vocabulary is to set your clothes on fire while using a grinder (so I'm told)

frankiefiredog

Cleveland? Like Cleveland, Ohio? Where do you live?

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

Duff

Hi, Greg,

I don't have any definitive answers to your questions and I know you're trying to stay pretty close to "original", so I'll just throw out a thought. When I rewired my 312's and didn't know how to route wires, I chose paths that would minimize or prevent chafing whether from vibration or a moving part, and tried to keep things together to look neat. I also cased the wires in that flexible conduit stuff that's split down the side- probably overkill, but the stuff is realtively cheap and offers excellent protection.

Anyway, just a thought...... :thumbs:

Duff :thumbs:

dgjks6

I am in Akron, Ohio.

My 312 has the protective conduits. I am considering that just as protection.

Thanks for the input everyone.

mavfreak

Also I think it dresses it up nice to, makes it look cleaner and such

wheelhorse656

Looking Good!!!! :thumbs: for the up dates good luck with re wiring! :thumbs:

frankiefiredog

I am in Akron, Ohio.

Well it just must happen at some point that we cross paths and share stories and look at :thumbs: together. Akron is not too far away. I've driven further for good :thumbs: times!

dgjks6

I am in Akron, Ohio.

Well it just must happen at some point that we cross paths and share stories and look at :thumbs: together. Akron is not too far away. I've driven further for good :thumbs: times!

sounds like fun. We should do an Ohio/PA get together.

mavfreak

I know we have a few of us that are within a two hour drive maybe we should try to set up some kinda MG. I'm around 2 hours from akron canton area

dgjks6

Well fellas, its that time again. The bored at work update. Sit back and relax - this is going to be a long post - and not very funny because everything actually went smooth - for me.

First with the formalities:

Day #280

Parts - $1130 ($16 for gas line and $6 for clutch spring)

Tools - $397 ($7 for a pair of wire cutters, also scored a soldering iron for free from my Dad's place)

Disposables - $243 ($20 for fuese, wire, shrink stuff, connectors, etc - I am putting them here because out of the $20 I still have mopst of the parts left, its hard to buy 1 conneector or 1 fuse)

Now for the fun -

I sanded the rear fender - It was painted black with a brush, and had a layer of blue and a layer of green also - and had sticky letters the said "bad to the bone" - note to self, next time maybe spend a little more on a fender and have to sand it less

DSCF7135.jpg

Found out why the clutch switch was by passed. The tab that activated it was bent. Luckily I know how to fix that. Bent it back into shape with a pair of pliers - and of course scratched the paint - another note to self - use a cloth next time:

DSCF7133.jpg

Now for the wiring. The back of the switch looks like this:

DSCF7129.jpg

The connector fot it is discontinued. The Toro dealer gave me some clips for free and told me how to fix it. This is what I came up with. Oh - the one with the double cut out was a mistake, but live and learn. I was too embarassed to go back and ask for another piece.

DSCF7138.jpg

The wiring harness is almost complete - I soldered on two fuses - ruins the color scheme, but wal-mart only sold yellow ones, soldered the broken wires, used some shrink stuff, and replaced bad connectors. I just now need to make sure the wires for the seat switch are long enough and put on the connectors

DSCF7139.jpg

DSCF7140.jpg

And here is where I am at:

DSCF7128.jpg

So I am gettting close enough to start a puch list - so here it is:

1 - paint foot rest, fender, and hood

2 - disassemble, clean, paint, and put back together PTO

3 - Paint connector for thing that goes on transmission

4 - put on wiring harness

5 - put on coil

6 - put on carb and fuel pump

7 - run fuel line

8 - put on throttle and choke cable

9 - put all sheet metal back on

10 - remove tires from 416

11 - redo rear tires and rims and put on c-85

12 - start tractor (keeping fingers crossed that it starts)

13 - put decals on

Can it get any more simple? What could possibly go wrong?

mrc

hi dgjks6, i have watched this thread for a long time and i salute you! the one thing that strikes me about this thread the most is this: if you take the money you've spent on this project and try to buy a tractor today you'd end up with some cheapo MTD type piece of junk. with good maintenance you can pass that tractor onto your children. i would not count the tool money because good tools last a lifetime and you'll use them on many more projects. KEEP GOING!!! mike in mass.

dgjks6

Thank you mrc, I appreciate the support. I hope with keeping track of the tools, I can do the same restoration with my 416 - but hopefully keep in under $500 total.

Now for the question of the day. First, you have to understand I have a lot of down time at work - so I spend time looking at red square and the parts viewer. Then I try to make sure I have every piece - or as close as possible. So I found another piece I do not have.

14R10030-2.gif

Is this a real piece? Is it something I missed, or do I have it and not know what it is (like the angle bracket)?

The Toolman

Didn't you take any pics as you took this apart? Shame on you.........

Ronnie :thumbs:

dgjks6

I have all kinds of pics of the disassembly, but none of the ones I need. The one thing I did learn is on the next one I can't take too many pictures.

The Toolman

I have all kinds of pics of the disassembly, but none of the ones I need. The one thing I did learn is on the next one I can't take too many pictures.

Ya oughta figure 1 pic for every 2 parts from now on. 5 1/4" floppies are cheap now, you can afford'em...... :thumbs:

mavfreak

That sounds like everything I do. Never enough pictures or ones I don't need or can't see. :thumbs:

C-Series14

It is called a "belt support bracket" in my 1987-1979 parts manual. I honestly don't remember it and I have tore apart many a C-Series! :thumbs: