Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

Let the restoration begin

dgjks6

Weekend update. I am at work for 24 today - so no more work this week.

So here we go. I got the brake, clutch, and lift lever on.

The engine has the head, points, and breather on.

I am waiting for parts to rebuild a trans off the 312 so I can swao it back for the transmission that came with the tractor. When complete this tractor will be original except for the paint scheme.

DSCF7082.jpg

DSCF7081.jpg

DSCF7084.jpg

Now for the problems:

1-what is this - I thought it was a piece of the engine shroud, but I can't for the life of me figure out where it goes

DSCF7083.jpg

2-I lost my first piece. The sleve that goes below the lift rod control knob. I was going to paint it red so I put it somewhere where I would not loose it. I lost it.

Day #246

Parts - $986 ($41 for a fuel pump and $4 for new grasde 8 head bolts)

Tools - $390 - no change

Disposables - $201 - (more paint, sand paper, tape, and odds)

Sparky

That piece is part of the engine airflow tins. It goes on the right side (looking at it from flywheel end) above the starter.

Mike........

wheelhorse656

:thumbs: :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: That Sucker is looking great! :drool:

JonW

This thread is awesome!

You are doing a great job!

It's good to see the "little helpers" in there hanging out with Dad. :thumbs: :thumbs:

dgjks6

weekly update

Day #253

Parts - $991- I bought a new collar for the throttle and a stop pin

Tools - $390 - no change

Disposables - $211 - more paint and sand paper

Not much progress this week. Working a lot. But I have been painting. I am kind of at a stand still. The motor is ready to mount,

DSCF7084.jpg

except I can't mount it until I get the tractor outside. And I can't test it until I get teh throttle and choke hooked up. Which I can't get hooked up until I put the dash on. Which I can't put on until I get the wiring done.

So.

Been painting a lot:

DSCF7094.jpg

DSCF7090.jpg

DSCF7091.jpg

I put the clear coat on the side panels, so I can put the battery tray mount in. The clear coat ran, so I had to sand it and paint the side of the console again.

Note to self - next tractor is going to be all red.

I mounted a tire out of boredom

DSCF7087.jpg

found work for the kids to do - the brake band is hand painted.

DSCF7086.jpg

I got a whole collection of parts I no longer need - either they were replaced becasue they were bad, or I had extras:

DSCF7089.jpg

My parts pile that need to go on the tractor is dwindling. However I found two parts I can not identify. Any help would be appreciated. I have two clips like the one on the left. I know one goes on the center toer to hold the wiring harness and fuel line. The other - no idea. And where does the square thing go?

DSCF7093.jpg

TT

The square piece on the right is the reinforcement for the brake band.

dgjks6

don't know how I missed that.

I figured out how to load pictures from the parts viewer, so now I have a whole bunch of questions.

First - what is part #17 - I don't remember taking it off, and in my dwindling parts piles I don't have something that looks like that.

72R10030-1.gif

Anglo Traction

First - what is part #17 - I don't remember taking it off, and in my dwindling parts piles I don't have something that looks like that.

Not familiar with the C85, but I reckon it's a Support Bracket for your Belt Guard. If you look at your very first Post , in your first Picture, you can see it. It fixes to the Hood Stand somewhere. You could try searching your parts boxes for the Starter Solenoid/Regulator , they may still be attached to it?. :thumbs:

AMC RULES

Thanks for sharing the parts viewer. Saved it to my favorites. :thumbs:

dgjks6

Not familiar with the C85, but I reckon it's a Support Bracket for your Belt Guard. If you look at your very first Post , in your first Picture, you can see it. It fixes to the Hood Stand somewhere. You could try searching your parts boxes for the Starter Solenoid/Regulator , they may still be attached to it?. :thumbs:

Thanks - found it, it was with the soleoid/rectifier stuff as you said. In the diagram I pictured and piece of steel angle iron - once you pointed it out I knew what it was.

jdpuller

:thumbs: :thumbs: keep up the good work this is a great thread. :thumbs:

dgjks6

More time at work bored - and in the planning stage. I keep dearching through the parts viewer and looking for things I don't have or don't remember about the disassembly.

I am almost to the dreaded wiring portion and have a list of questions I need help with.

The tractor had an hour meter, but I am going to leave that off, but the parts viewer has a seat switch and I don't have one on my original plastic fender, but the fender I bought has one. Is there supposed to be one?

The only saftey switch I have found so far is for the PTO. Is there supposed to be one for the clutch? And if so where does it go?

Is there any way to test the coil, solenoid, and rectifier to make sure they are good before I put them on?

When the tractor is done I have visions of turning the key and it starting, a little carb adjustment and I am ready to go, so I want to test everything possible before I reassemble it.

dgjks6

Now for the next our chapter of our story, entitled:

1 - Really? What is the matter with this guy?

or

2 - Give it up!

or

3 - Things happen for a reason.

So today after looking at these pictures of the tractor:

DSCF7082.jpg

and

DSCF7091.jpg

I noticed a thick layer of dust on the tractor. I went to wipe it off and found that it would not come off. It was the overspray from the clearcoat. Now all of the pieces had a rough texture. I thought about leaving it - because no one would ever see, but then I thought - no way - it needs to be shiny. Realize that the parts of the tractor that will be exposed are only half way decent at best. I could not get all the paint off, and you can see some of the edges and there are a few scratches and drips.

So I taped the tractor first to repaint the red part. This took an hour. There was one piece of plastic on the floor - under the jack stand - that would be perfect to cover the lift lever on the inside. So I grabbed the handle on the jack stand to lift it up and the jack stand collapsed and I was left with this:

DSCF7095.jpg

DSCF7096.jpg

Then I went to lift the tractor back on the jack stands with one hand on the rear of the frame and the other on the engine mount and the engine mount came out:

DSCF7097.jpg

Turns out I never put the nuts on the bottom of the engine mount :thumbs:

So I finally get the tractor upright and finished taping - after about 90 minutes - and apply another few coats of wheel horse red

DSCF7099.jpg

You guys can come to your own conclusions about my sanity.

wheelhorse656

:thumbs: that really sucks!!!! i think this stuff just happens. but i am glad to see you redoing the top coat of paint :thumbs: Good Luck

Bye Jordan :thumbs:

DMK855

Greg, It honestly sounds like some of my projects!! :thumbs: The good thing is that is coming along and believe it or not, there is an end in sight!!!

Looking great !! :thumbs:

dgjks6

Just a quick update for once.

I spent the entire day (minus time driving kids around). I painted a few pieces and I think I figured out the wiring.

But most importantly I finally really believe I can finish this. I had to give up on the paint quality. No matter what I did, I left mark - either with dirt, a scratch, or poor sanding. But now that I think I have a handle on the electric and dropped my expectations I feel better and think I can finish.

I have to say - hats off to all you guys who do I see on here do all those restorations. I respected them before, but now I can't believe some of the work you guys do - and how fast.

dgjks6

Day # 260

Parts $993 - bought some washers and pins

Tools $390 - no change

Disposables $211 - no change

Now for the update. Its been a busy weekend. Wife took 3 little ones to Chicago - so I had the three big kids, who really don't want to spend much time with Dad unless the need a ride - so I putzed in the basement.

I got the dash apart this morning. I found out why the tractor would not run. I thought the motor was blown, but it was becasue there were two chokes and no throttle:

DSCF7113.jpg

I got the PTO on and the wiring sorted out last night. Previous owner disconnected the saftey switches and messed with the wiring. There was no fuse to the solenoid, but two fuese in line to the headlights - along with a couple springs. At least he used red electrical tape ina few places:

DSCF7106.jpg

Here is a very brief explaination of how I did it.

Step one - remove anything you can.

Step two - get a wiring diagram

step three - clean key switch and ID the terminals

DSCF7104.jpg

Step 4 - label the wires

DSCF7105.jpg

Step 5 - trace where they go

Step 6 - and I made this one up on my own. Use Voltmeter set to ohms. Put one terminal on the end of a wire and move the other terminal to all the other wires until you see a circuit. Then label

Step 7 - use voltmeter to check all switches

Really thats all there was to it.

Now for the questions -

1 - still trying to figure the clutch swith. I know it goes on the R hand side and is activated by the pulley, but the manual calls for a push switch. Can't seem to sort that out. Late they changed it to a side type switch - and I can see where that would go. The investigation continues. Any help would be appreciated.

2 - after taking apart the dash and dumping out my bag of wires - I found this laying on the floor. No ides where it came from. Any thoughts?

DSCF7115.jpg

DSCF7114.jpg

JimD

The bracket bolts to the blower housing and holds choke cable in position with the p-clamp end. Here's a pic...

C85throttlecablebracket.jpg

There should also be a p-clip holding the cable in the next bolt hole down in the blower housing. Hope this helps.

Jim

dgjks6

Thats it. I quit.

10 min here, 15 there - slowly making progress.

Got to this point:

DSCF7122.jpg

Ready to go to the garage, put the wheels on and start the electric.

Soent my day off finishing the wheels. Painted them a few weeks ago - then touched them up and put on a clear coat.

Then compared the wheels -

DSCF7121.jpg

Honest - they are two different colors...and I have no idea why :thumbs:

Now I have to start over - first wait for a couple days for the paint to dry - then sand, and so on...

rmaynard

Honest - they are two different colors...and I have no idea why :thumbs:

Now I have to start over - first wait for a couple days for the paint to dry - then sand, and so on...

Don't bother. They will be on opposite sides and no one will notice. :thumbs:

Ken B

They do look to be a little different in color but they look nice. They do go on opposite sides and knowone will be able to tell the difference! Did you use a different shade of primer from one rim to the other?

JimD

In the pic it looks like the wheel on the right is in heavier light. Look at them outside in the sun and see how they look.

dgjks6

Weekly update:

Day #266

Parts = $934 - added $1 for stainless bolts and nuts for the dash

Tools = $390 - no change

Disposables = $223 - added $12 for paint and sand paper

I redid the rims. They were definately different colors. The problem was I put the clear coat on one while the silver was still wet. Turned a darker color. Now after more paint and sanding the rims are done.

I went though my box of parts - which is shrinking and found one I was not sure where it went. Got out the master parts viewer and found it.

Sorry camera is down (actually locked in the principal's office - my wife left it at school after the last concert - though she claims it was my #5 daughter's fault, who blamed it on my numer #3 daughter, who blamed it on my wife, but I digress) so this is the only pic you get today.

14R10030-1.gif

So tonight I sand and paint more and hope I can put that piece on without having to repaint everything.

Then tomorrow tractor goes to the garage, gets wheels, and a transmission.

Or maybe next week.

rmaynard

I think the use of black and white is very artistic.

Hopefully you should be able to get that dust and dirt collector plate back in without too much trouble.

dgjks6

Today is a monumental day.

I passed the $1000 mark

I figure the tractor lasted 30 years - so for my $1000 investment its onlt about $36 per year or less thsn $3 per month.

Day #268

Parts = $1026 - bought foot rest pads and a used steering collar

previous post had wrong number - should have been $994

Tools = $390

Disposables = $223