Sign in to follow this  
wh653

653 Barn Find!!!!

wh653

Hi guys, first time posting here! I had the good luck of a call from a frien that was cleaning out his uncles farm and came across 2 old wheel horse tractors and he only had space for one and offered the other to me! So me having the love for keeping old things alive jumped on it. From the # on the side(653) I belive from what I read that it is a 1963 model? The motor is free but it had the mouse problem under the point cover. Anyway, (maybe a dumb question) being this old is this a 6v or 12 v system and does anyone know if this model should have a starter and a pull cord or maybe some has changed the motor? Right now I have no spark but I ran out of time tonight to look any farther that taking the pull starter and flywheel off and cleaning the mouse poop out of it, gave it a quick check and still no spark..owell tomorrow's another day. Thanks in advance, Scott

rickv1957

Hello and :D Rick

VinsRJ

:D and :USA:

Gene_S

Nice find Scott.

:D

I have a 653 and it is a 12V system with electric start. The tractor would not have a pull start if original. But a few Wheel Horse tractors that have a Tecumseh H60 or HH60 have been replaced at one time or another.

Duff

Hi, Scott!

:USA:

Glad to have you aboard, and nice find!

In addition to pictures, any other numbers you can find on the tractor and the engine will help us to help you.

Duff :D

hcminis

:D

Pictures....Please

tgranthamfd

Nice find, welcome aboard. Shouldn't be to big of a deal to get it all worked out and running. Mice gotta love em, not.

wh653

I got some time to get some pics today! Please let me know if it is worth saving? If I can get the motor to run, can anyone sugest a replacement that will bolt on, and also any idea on what kind of attachments would have worked on the hitch that goes up with the deck lever. Thanks for any info Scott. PS I tried to resize pic. keeping my fingers crossed!

Attached File ( Number of downloads: 81 )

quicktime.gif

ImageReady_clipping_1.pictClipping

dieselhorse

Any newer Briggs/Honda/Kohler engines would fit, as would the smaller yanmar clone diesel engine. You could also look for an older Kohler or if you want to stay original a Tech H60. Personaly I would lean toward a new engine, less issues with getting parts, less fuel consumption and they are not that expensive. Check Small Engine Warehouse and Tulsa Engine Warehouse as they run specials. I believe you just need to have a 1 inch crank shaft to put the pulley on and you might have to drill a couple new holes for the mounting bolts. Thier websites normaly have the measuments of the engines so you can see if it will fit under the hood. The new little Kohlers with the 45' cylinder alignment are quite smooth runners and affordable. Most new small horizontal crankshaft engines dont have the cylinder straight up and down like the old ones did, but instead have it slanted to one side and have overhead valves now. Good luck and keep us all up to date on what you decided to do. Mike

wh653

IMG_0085.jpg

I hope this pic works I got spark today, found out the hard way! still not running, but I will get her!!

Kelly

Good looking tractor bummer they cut the hood to fit the newer tucky in it.

wh653
IMG_0083.jpg

wh653
IMG_0087.jpgIMG_0084.jpg