Sign in to follow this  
Mith

Mystery project

Mith

A few machining pictures (let me know if I'm doing too many pictures, I like looking at other people pictures, so I figured I'd do lots).

I was going to use a holesaw to drill the big holes I need, but impatience got the better of me, so I dug out the rotary table and set about milling them. Its my Dads mill, turning out to be the mad max of mills. He's added variable speed, 1-3000rpm, auto feed, and he's working on a DRO and computer connection so you can use it like a CNC mill.

30-03-08_1111.jpg

30-03-08_1139.jpg

30-03-08_1152.jpg

Stigian

As ever your not hanging about with the build Jim :thumbs:

Keep them pics and updates coming :thumbs:

That "Mad Max of Mills" looks a very handy bit of kit :D

Sparky

Never enuff pics Jim. Keep em coming!

Lookin great as well :thumbs: .

Mike.......

Greg B.

Jim,

Using the mill, as opposed to the hole saw, just kicks it up an extra notch. Tis is going to be a very professional looking build.

Thanks for the update.

Greg B.

Nick

Jim,

For a long time the common engine in the steiner was the 20hp Onan and a few had Kubota 21hp gas or 16hp diesel. Later they moved up to larger Kohler and diesel engines with the max around 30hp. The transaxles are hydro driven with a low and high range. The pump mounts on the rear of the engine with the front powering all attachments out in front of the tractor. For a while they had a rumor that the tractors would have 4 wheel motors, like you are planning, but thet hasnt come about yet.

Very nice machining work. :thumbs: I hack things out with dull sometimes bent drill bits a cutting wheel and maybe a die grinder. :D

Keep the pictures coming cant wait to see it working. :thumbs:

Nick in Ohio

Nick

Something I forgot to mention on the Steiner before. On models like mine the dash moves with the front half of the tractor but on the larger 525 the dash turns with the back half and stays with the operator. I couldnt tell from your drawing wich way you plan to go.

http://steinerturf.com/products/tractors/525/index.html

Nick

Mith

Thanks guys. I'm trying to keep the pace up or I'll get bogged down and it'll take me years to do.

Greg, the holesaw would probably have been a better choice, but I would have had to wait to buy a holesaw and the mill was just sitting there.....

I used to have to wait for mill time, its nice to just be able to use it when I want.

He's a pic of the one I used to use, the white one behind it is the one my Dad now owns (in the pics above). Its much bigger, but not nearly as true.

14-11-06_1611.jpg

Thanks for the info Nick. I was hoping they were much lower HP to get an idea of what its going to be like with 12HP. 30HP sounds like a heck of alot of HP, I guess they run big mowers and stuff though.

I'm going to have the seat and dash on the front half, not too sure whats going on the back half. Possibly a hydraulic arm for picking up wood etc and a 3 point.

Greg B.

Jim,

You have made me curious, so I'm going to wander :thumbs: for a moment. You say the mill isn't true. If I may ask, in what respect? There is little to go wrong with a vertical mill that can't be put right. Are we talking gibs that need adjusting or replacement, the head out of tram or spindle bearings? You seem more machinist and mechanic enough to put that girl straight.

Sorry for drifting,

Greg B.

Kelly

All I can say is WOW to have that shop and know how to use all the neat stuff you have, can't wait to see more pic's

Mith

Greg, the head is out. Its got such a long shank down to the tool that half a degree puts it right out. I dont really want to spend a couple hours setting it up for the next guy to knock the feed on, ram it into the vise and knock it out again. Its in the workshop at the college down the road, so it gets a hard life.

Cheers

Greg B.

Gotcha, Jim. My misunderstanding :imstupid: , I thought you were referring to your dad's mill.

I just recently aquired an elderly Wells Index vertical. She's about 100 hours out of a professional rebuild. I've got it in storage, in Michigan. My son asked if he could use it as a teaching tool and my response was NFW! A large part of precision is knowing your tools and you can't know something that keeps changing...

Greg B.

Mith

Greg, my Dads mill is bang on, he's the kinda guy who would spend all day to get it 'perfect'.

I reckon the quickest way to get a machine ruined is to let someone else learn on it, so my thanks to all the people who let me learn on their machines :thumbs:

Bought some goodies. Rams for the steering, and some bushes for the front axle and the pivot. Like an idiot I bought the wrong size ones for the pivot, but such is life, I'll need to go back for more rams soon anyway.

Unbelievably I had to pay a 9% surcharge for paying in

Mith

hub getting there

02-04-08_2125.jpg

31-03-08_1853.jpg

The price increase I was dreading happened, prices up by 15% in one day, now thats inflation! All due to fuel prices and the Euro going down.

I've got enough to get on with while I get some more money together though. I think I have all the bits for the chassis and drivetrain.

Mith

Did a few more bits and bobs today. Its a bit tedious having to do 4 of everything for the 4 wheels.

I've got the rear axle all made up and tacked together, and all the parts for the front axle ready to be tacked.

Will get 14" ground clearance with 26" tyres, and it'll be 52" wide, somewhere about 7' long. I'm tempted to buy the tyres now to see how it looks, but at $200 a time (need 4) they arent really small money. I still have the pumps and valving to buy which is expensive too, so I've got to decide what gets bought first.

13-04-08_1612.jpg

The level stuck under the bench is 12" long for scale.

13-04-08_1610.jpg

Nick

Mith,

Wow, $200 each for the tires has to hurt. Are you using 26-12-12 tires? This thing should be a monster when your done. :thumbs:

Nick in Ohio

refracman

Mith

I could only wish to build the projects you they are fantasic !

And more pics!

Stigian

If i were you Jim, id get the pump and valves first. you can always mock the wheels up in wood if you need the wheels for working out clearance's

Mith

Nick, you got it, 26" tyres. They are Carlisle power tracs, the tread seems to have alot more traction than others and are worth the extra IMO.

Steve, enthusiasm is all you need, I've not been trained in any of this, just had alot of help from forums like this one and from people I know. Just go for it if you want to build anything.

I've got pretty much the frame done for the back. However, my phone charger has died so I cant take pictures with my camera phone. I bought a new phone (cheaper than buying a charger) but I cant get photos from it to my computer

So you'll have to imagine. Heres a nice photo of a big lathe from last week to tide y'all over until I get a new charger.....

18-04-08_1457.jpg

Nick

Mith, Can you get Power Tracs in 26" over there? I think we can only get them in 23x8.5-12. Super Lugs and Tru Power are the only ag tires we can get in 26" from Carlisle.

Nick

Mith

Sorry, I meant tru power :thumbs:

Mith

Well, I borrowed my Dads camera to take a picture.

The frame is pretty much done, tacked, but together. I bought the tyres, and widened the rims to fit. Tried to get them seated today and decided it wasnt going to happen. Took them down to the tyre place, and he couldn't get them on either, (and he wasnt happy with the widened rims). So I ordered some tubes ($100) which I was trying to avoid having to do. I was really hoping to have it on its wheels today.

Anyway, it sure looked smaller on paper. Its a shade over 8' long, and a shade under 5' wide. I reckon it'll be 7' to the top of the roll bar.

I'm still tracking down an engine, thats becoming a bit of a frustration at the moment, I let 2 slip through my fingers. I'll find one eventually, but its really holding me up now. I had previously thought about putting a 12HP in for the time being, but the more I look at the size of the machine the more woefully inadequate that size seems to be.

DSC_0243Small.jpg

Mith

Oh, and the hurting fingers while building artics seems to be catching. Had a whoopsie with a disc cutter. Time will tell what damage its done (apart from leaving a cool scar :whistle:)

DSCF0046Custom.jpg

linen beige

:whistle: I think most of us have had a "Horse bite or two. You know, the kind that make you want to:deadhorse: Hope it wasn't your throttle finger, and that it heals fast.

Stigian

Ouch, thats a nice slice out your finger Jim :WRS:

A scar to impress the girls eh? :D:D:dunno:

Its a shame the tires were not playing fair. Why was your tire guy not happy with the widened rims :whistle:

Mith

Yea, its just a little love bite. I thought I had lopped the whole lot off, but I only managed half way through.

After I did it I had alot of red paint on my arm (painting on a windy day), the girl in Tesco nearly passed out behind the counter :whistle: Took a bit of convincing that it was paint, not blood.

Ian, guess he was worried they might explode or something I guess. Either way, he couldnt do it, though he didnt try very hard to be honest.