Sign in to follow this  
glenn27

417-A info needed.....

glenn27

Any input on a Wheelhorse 417-A model? I can't find a lot of info in any spec sheets.......Couldn't have been but a couple years???

Thanks for any help----- :thumbs:

glenn

TT

They were built in 1985 & 1986. They had an Eaton model 1100-032 hydro and a Kohler KT17QS twin cylinder -- which I have been taught to avoid.

What exactly do you need to know ? :thumbs:

Sparky

I've also been told to avoid the KT17 series I. I think they made a KT17 series II thats supposed to be fine. Something about if the tractor was going uphill or down hill the cylinder that was higher got starved for oil (splashed lubed) till the motor leveled out which caused the motor to fail prematurely. The series II is a pressure lubed system, I believe, which took care of that problem.

I have a 418-A with hydraulic lift and its a great tractor.

Mike...........

nylyon

Glenn, I have a brochure for that year and can photocopy a page or 2 for you, probably Monday though...

417-A

- Overall Width (in) 38.0

- Overall Length (in) 65.0

- Kohler Series II 17 HP

- Eaton 11 Hydro, 1 1/8" Axle - 8 pinion

- 16x6.50 front tires - with tubes

- 23x9.50 rear tires - with tubes

- Hydraulic lift

- 739llbs

T-Mo

TT,

Made in 1986 AND 1986? As for the Kohler KT17, this should be the series II as Karl mentions. The series I first came out in the late 70's, i.e. '78 or '79 and by '82 or '83 Kohler tried to rectify this mistake with the Series II. So by 1986, all new engines should be the series II variant. Not as troublesome or problematic as the series I, but still not up to Kohler's standards.

TT

TT,

Made in 1986 AND 1986? As for the Kohler KT17, this should be the series II as Karl mentions. The series I first came out in the late 70's, i.e. '78 or '79 and by '82 or '83 Kohler tried to rectify this mistake with the Series II. So by 1986, all new engines should be the series II variant. Not as troublesome or problematic as the series I, but still not up to Kohler's standards.

Sorry, Terry..... new monitor with different resolution. (I can't see it as well, but I do like seeing "more" on the screen. :thumbs: )

1985 spec # is 24350 & 1986 spec # is 24363

I fixed my post, and am gonna need new glasses -- but I still stay away from KT Kohlers. :thumbs:

glenn27

That's all I wanted to know--I ran across a friend (of another friend) the other day--he had/has one--that the carb caught on fire--burnt the top of the engine a little--mostly cosmetic...

.had 1,800 hrs on it--so would be about due for a rebuild anyway------Had a 48" side discharge deck , also....

I was thinking along the same lines as you folks--but wanted to get several opinions...

Thank You! :thumbs:

kj4kicks

If nothing else, the deck is worth something, if it's decent!

glenn27

I'll sleep on it--it's not going anywhere----- :D

Who knows--it might be on my trailer (For Sale) coming up to Penn. in June...

:thumbs: :thumbs:

nylyon

I think that it has Halogen headlights as well, those are the bright ones, assuming of course they didn't burn up.

glenn27

You are right--the headlight are actually a sealed beam, per say--nope all that is fine--

the fire was restricted to the top of the engine--air cleaner/wires/etc.--he threw a blanket over it to smother it out--but said it was still running.@ the time....

I don't know--keep the suggestions coming----- :thumbs:

bowtieguy

Hey....I liked my first 417-A so much that I bought another one....both have less than 700 hours on the engines...and the price for both would not have bought a new MTD rider

The only thing I did not like about them is the crazy "idiot light panel"....sometimes they work and sometimes they don't....on one tractor, the wire going to the oil sending unit was disconnected....I didn't give it much thought about it at the sale, so when I got it home I hooked up the wire and the OIL light stayed on while the engine was running....so I figured I got suckered at the sale as the owner said nothing was wrong with the WH...after getting some good WH advise on the 417-A from Bob (blueknightbob) I learned that this engine was supposed to carry alot of oil pressure....so I ordered the correct oil sending unit from Toro and learned that someone had installed the INCORRECT oil sending unit....put the new one in and the oil light went off and have been mowing with it for 2 years now....great machines and probably the only WH that I will ever own that has a CHROME muffler and CHROME air cleaner cover!

Heck, I probably don't need 2 of em' but what the hey....kinda like the 55 Chevy, they don't make em anymore so get rid of them, they ain't eatin' no hay!! :thumbs:

T-Mo

I saw all of those idiot lights in the '86 brochure. I wouldn't mind having a 400 series, may have to find one. :thumbs:

glenn27

Keep the suggestions a-comin'...

I'm still @ the bottom of the learning curve (on most anything).. :thumbs:

T-Mo

Keep the suggestions a-comin'...

I'm still @ the bottom of the learning curve (on most anything).. :thumbs:

At least you're on the learning curve. I'm pretty far below the curve. :imstupid:

glenn27

Well-the gentleman called me last night-about the 417-A, and also several attachments, but not Wheelhorse, but in VGC.......

Wanted to know if I made any commitment-yet------he says he wants to clean up....."make me a package offer"--he asks...

(I just don't know).... :thumbs: and <_<

Thanks

glenn

Craig Arndt

Glenn, I slept on my 416-8 for a week. Kept driving by it, getting out to look at it. He was $700 firm and I just didn't know. I got great info on it, so I took a chance. Its condition was worse than expected, but the hours were low. Now you know the rest of the story on the restoration, but boy did I learn a lot. I tore it down to nothing but frame rails (my neighbor asked why I bought a wood chipper) :thumbs: but that is kinda what it looked like stripped.

If you get a good deal take it. You've got a great project and a tractor only made for two years.... pretty cool.