Sparky

Using my tractors

Sparky

So some of the guys I work with that only have 1 tractor(usually a little Craftsman lawn tractor) often ask why I need so many tractors when they can get by with only the one. I tell em that some are just tractors I like to collect but most of em have a job. My B-100 8speed is my main snow-plowin tractor and it does a great job. My C-125 auto with hydraulic lift is this years snow-blowin tractor of choice since the blower is a bit heavy to lift all day with the manual lift. My C-120 with an 8hp Kohler is my 11 year old sons tractor and he has a plow and LOTS of weight so he can get out there and clear the drive like his old man. My B-80 4speed is my 8 year old daughters tractor and she just likes to put around the yard although she has ventured out into the wood with me and seems to like it. I put some weights and chains on hers since she weighs in at about 60lbs and needs the weight to get around in the woods. My GT1142 is the one my wife likes to use for pulling a small cart around the yard when she's doing some gardening or whatever. My GT2500 is a bunch of tractors put together and is my first choice for hard labor. The neighbor has about 30 acres and we have been making trails around the edge of the property and I put a plow and some weights on it so I can move rocks, trees or whatever gets in the way. I have a 312-8 that shares mowing duty with my C-125 and 2001 Craftsman GT3000. The 1969 Massey Furguson MF-10 is a showpice but has a mowing deck and is ready to mow on a moments notice. The 1961 Wheel Horse 701 is just a collectors item and is currently in need of a fuel sytem revamp. A 1982 C-105 with a 12hp Kohler Magnum is going to be my pulling tractor if I ever get it finished...still needs more weight, wheelie bars and a pulling hitch. She runs and looks descent.

Guess I kinda rambled on.......Mike

• Like 5

whchris

well start with the horses the 702 like mikes 701 is used as a collectors piece except mine need a charging system revamp the v7's are a nightmare and i tend not to tell anyone i have them the c-125 runs the carts of wood to the house and the modifyed rj is just plain fun the cup origanal is being restored and im rebuilding the engine on the cub128 thats a gt puller the powerking pulls the small logs outa the woods for the c-125 to bring to the house the 3 middle aged craftsmans are nice when i just wanna beat something the newer one is a christmas present to my step father and the lt10 is going to plow the driveway in hopes that i can kill it and the big old agway is just waiting for a starter then im sending it down the line to who ever wants it and the gravelys mow the fields and my 48" scag walkbehind and 72" kwik kut ztr keep the lawn under control

• Like 1

gt4

I look at it like that saying about jeeps.  "It's a wheelhorse thing, you wouldnt understand"

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Talk about a ride on the "way back" machine...

what, was that like the second post here on :rs:???

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 4

Wheel-N-It

Yep that was long before I got here. Mike, what happened to these tractors you had nearly 10 years ago, and what tractors do you have now in 2016? What are the uses for the ones you have today?

Sparky

Wow! Someone was digging thru the forum! 

Well Van....everyone of those machines except the Craftsman GT3000 has moved on. The Craftsman was a fathers day gift 15 years ago and has been a pleasure to own all these years.

Back then I was trying to buy up everything red for miles around.....but now I just keep a few here for chores and fun. 

What do I have (kind of a boring list now): a 310-8 with a deck and a plow for both seasons....a GT1600 with a Kohler Magnum 10 under the hood. Have another deck and plow set up for this one as well....and finally a hacked up 656 with a Honda yank start that is just the best thing ever for motoring around. It has a slightly larger drive pulley so it scoots along faster than a stock WH. 

I did sell off a real nice 1054 at the WH show this summer with hopes of buying a nice 854, haven't found one yet. I also have the itch for another Black Hood.

Mike......

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Lol that has been some time ago

Wheel-N-It

Sounds to me Mike like you have a nice manageable list of Wheel Horses along with the Sears to do the yard work and snow work duties. 

I would have commented back on this sooner but found that my Chevy C30 dump truck would not start yesterday about 1pm and spent the rest of the day taking apart the distributor to replace the ignition module and it still would not start. There is 12vdc going to the module but nothing at the sparky plugs. So I'm just going to replace the whole distributor assembly. I had to do this to my old Suburban last year.

Also too I was hoping this thread would have more interest. Now would be a good time for someone to post a pic or two of their favorite or ugliest Wheel Horse at work.

ClassicTractorProfessor
2 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

Sounds to me Mike like you have a nice manageable list of Wheel Horses along with the Sears to do the yard work and snow work duties. 

I would have commented back on this sooner but found that my Chevy C30 dump truck would not start yesterday about 1pm and spent the rest of the day taking apart the distributor to replace the ignition module and it still would not start. There is 12vdc going to the module but nothing at the sparky plugs. So I'm just going to replace the whole distributor assembly. I had to do this to my old Suburban last year.

Also too I was hoping this thread would have more interest. Now would be a good time for someone to post a pic or two of their favorite or ugliest Wheel Horse at work.

My 292 in my C30 kept burning up the ignition module...finally got mad at it and we converted it over to a points type...runs great now lol...and as far as pics you mean like these?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Heck yeah, just like that ! ( Hubcap collection and all )

But tell me one thing Professor; 

What is that four wheeler green thing in the background?:lol:

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor
6 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

Heck yeah, just like that ! ( Hubcap collection and all )

But tell me one thing Professor; 

What is that four wheeler green thing in the background?:lol:

LOL It became a target for me to run over while trying to back the bucket truck back in that corner where the blue pickup is lol...didn't hurt it too bad...it's a 116 Deere I bought for 25 bucks a while back...figured on getting it running and selling it

DTOM

Yup, them 854's are hard to find.😂

• Like 1

Sparky
1 hour ago, DTOM said:

Yup, them 854's are hard to find.😂

Oooooo.....that stings!

:D

Mike.....

6wheeler

Ya know Mike? That must be the standard question. At our last meeting last Tuesday at the Eagles club. Several of the members asked why I had to have so many tractors. My C-165 8 spd is a great worker. My 312h is great for cultivating the gardens. My C-160 is a good mowing tractor. The 520h doesn't even need an explanation. And the D 250 handles the heavy garden work Ie; plowing and discing. And now with the addition of the Groundmaster? Even My wifes STX 38 pulls her garden trailer, which she uses all the time. We now have a completely useable fleet . The secret I use? Every one has its own implement. Therefore, each has its own purpose. I was asked. "Why don't you just get 1 new tractor that could do all of the chores"? Duh... Where is the fun in that? That would make way too much room in the shed.     Pat

• Like 1