Sign in to follow this  
TheGoodSon

Time to unwind...

TheGoodSon

Hey gang,

I'm not on here much, but I mentioned earlier that I got the 68 Raider running. Well, long enough to get it on to the trailer... The starter acted up, so I whacked it, and it fired.

Well about two more times of that, and it wouldn't do anything. Now I'm looking for a brush kit to redo the starter.

Again, the tractor is a 68 Raider with a hh100. The top plate of the starter is marked Tecumseh 32510, and it has 10 teeth - I think. When I run the number, I find replacement starters that look different, have 11 teeth, and are usually out of stock.

I just want to replace the brush kit, and I found a site a while back, but don't remeber where. Any suggestions on where to buy the brushes, or (gulp) the right starter?

Sorry for the long-windedness, thanks for your help.

Dusty

puddlejumper

Go to locally owned auto part store.(not sure about abig chain store autozone) They should Have a brush assortment and you can match what you have.

Buzz

Tapping on a starter can sometimes kill them by destroying the magnets inside the housing. I'd tear it apart first to see if any are broken or loose before spending money on brushes.

TheGoodSon

Thanks, guys.

I have had it apart. I cleaned off the scum and blew it all out. One of the contacts is substantial, the other is so worn that it's down to wires. Otherwise, it's in pretty good shape for its age.

When I put it all back together, it fired up first tap. Now, not so much...

I will check out the momnpop and see what they have. Thanks for the lead!

wedgeheaded

Check the comutator too, that's the slotted brass part the brushes ride on. If it's groved or worn in it will need to be turned till it's smooth. You might need to undercut the mica insulation between the bars too. You can do this with a hacksaw blade that has all the set goound off. If it's damaged, it's gone so be careful, or take it to a machine shop. Best to you.

wedgeheaded

Check the comutator too, that's the slotted brass part the brushes ride on. If it's groved or worn in it will need to be turned till it's smooth. You might need to undercut the mica insulation between the bars too. You can do this with a hacksaw blade that has all the set goound off. If it's damaged, it's gone so be careful, or take it to a machine shop. Best to you.