SharkBaron

How do I remove the transmission for a Model 312-8

SharkBaron

:wh: I need to replace the clip that holds the left rear axel inside the transmission, Model 312-8. Any instructions would be a life saver!!

Not sure how to reply to all, but THANK YOU!! All who replied. With this info, as the Geico Lizards boss says before the soon to fail trust excersize, "We can do this"!

:USA: :D

pfrederi

Do you mean the snap ring that hold the axle in the transmission> ( I am guessing your axle will pull out)

You have to remove the rear end an split the case to fix it. Download the WH Transmission repair manual.

Are you mechanically inclined??? Do you have a vice large enough to hold the transmission? (clamping. one axle shaft housing)?

The job isn't terribly complex but if you do not have a good place to work...

The manual can be downloaded free from the Toro website.

MikesRJ

Here's the manual you need:

Wheel Horse Mechanical Transmission Manual - 6/8-Speed

The trans will need to be removed and the case split in half to replace the C=Clip you're talking about. You should also replace all the seals while you're in there.

Duff

Manners...manners.... :USA: !

Splitting the tranny isn't that difficult and is worthwhile to check the condition of the rest of the components. If you don't have a vice, you can use a Black and Decker Workmate to hold it (how do I know?). Follow the instructions to the letter in the manual Mike linked you with, and it wouldn't hurt to snap a few photos of things as you take them apart. Once off the tractor, plan an hour or so to split the tranny and disassemble. If you're good with a wrench a couple hours should get it back together depending on the bearings. If they are suspect, replace them. Replace the seals no matter - they're cheap and it's easiest when the tranny is off the tractor.

Good luck and keep us posted/ask questions as you go!

Duff :D

oldandred

:D I need to replace the clip that holds the left rear axel inside the transmission, Model 312-8. Any instructions would be a life saver!!

Be sure to use a new c clip and clean out the grove it goes in make sure it doesnt have any burs cause if you dont it will come out again

belive me ben there done that

Raider12

:USA: :wh: You already have been given some good advise. I just wanted to say welcome. :D

Duff

I just reread the title of this topic and realized we haven't actually answered your question. :USA:

Removing the tranny isn't difficult, but it will take you a few minutes. I'm going from memory here, so I may miss a step or two. This can all be done by one person, but if you have an extra pair of hands it makes it a lot easier!

You'll want to support the rest of the tractor and frame on blocks before you unbolt the tranny.

You'll need to:

-Remove the rear wheels

-Remove the seat

-Unbolt the rear fender pan and remove it (disconnect the wires for the taillights and seat safety switch)

-Unbolt the gas tank, disconnect the fuel line, and remove the tank

-Remove the support brackets that hold the gas tank and fender pan in place (two bolts into the top of the tranny)

-Take off the main drive belt

-Disconnect the clutch spring (careful!)

-Disconnect the brake actuator rod at the brake shoe

-Remove the shifter plate on the console (requires removing the knobs from the gear and hi-lo shift levers

-Unbolt the tranny from the frame (four bolts on the front of the tranny).

Others - am I forgetting anything here?

Duff :D

dgjks6

just an update -

SkarkBaron was able to follow the instructions. He brought the brkoen trans over to my house and I swapped him for the one on my non running c-85.

Hope to see him up and running soon.

rickv1957

Hello and :D Rick

stevasaurus

Hello and :USA: ...so is anybody going to fix the trans??? :D

dgjks6

I am going to try to fix it. I have always wanted to take a transmission apart. When I get to it...

Hopefully in a few weeks.

My master plan is to rebuild the k181 of the c-85, but I still need a new(used) crankshaft. In the mean time, after todays work the the c-85 is almost completely disassembled. No motor, no trans = not much left.

By the way, he thinks the guys here (me included) are obsessed - in a good way.

And he did the entire disassembly procedure with open end wrenches.

Duff

And he did the entire disassembly procedure with open end wrenches.

Wow! Now THAT'S dedication! :D

Duff :USA:

SharkBaron

:D Thank Y'all for the help, manuals, and moral support ! Got the transmission back in(dont ask how long it took, it's embarasing), and yesterday chewed through6 to 8 inches of myback yard !! Couldn't have done it without y'all Youze guyz rule!!!

" I love the smell of fresh cut Kentucky Blue in the morning. It smells like...... victory !"

rob65

Here's the manual you need:

Wheel Horse Mechanical Transmission Manual - 6/8-Speed

The trans will need to be removed and the case split in half to replace the C=Clip you're talking about. You should also replace all the seals while you're in there.

Thank you for posting this link! :thumbs:

Henry Melton

Hi my name is Henry. I am a new member to this forum. I have a 3 speed transmission with 1 inch axles. I built it myself. Iput 13 horse Honda motor and wheely bars. I can do whellys that flip people out. I have a newer tractor with the 8 speed unidrive with 1 inch axles. Can I use the axles from the 8 speed for the 6 speed. The shaft size are the same. And the wheels fit. I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your help Henry Melton