mflowers

C-160 Restore

rmaynard

Get a hammer and dolly and start tappin' on the metal till the thing is straight. That metal is tough and will straighten pretty easy. A little body filler will do the rest.

My fender pan was pretty dented from the underside from rocks and snow chains. I tapped out almost all of the dents and used a minimal amount of filler. I am no body man, but it wasn't all that hard to do.

Question is, are you going to have it ready for the show next Friday? :D

Everything looks good so far. :USA:

Bob

mflowers

I think I'm ok with getting the dents out, just a little unsure about pulling the right side back out. I was thinking about bolting it down to something solid so I can use a little leverage to pull it back up, then go at it with the hammer and dolly...hope I don't make it worse.. :D

FenderDents.jpg

bmuone

He bent the metal and did not break the lens or light? :D He is a gentle ruffian an't he!

mflowers

Get a hammer and dolly and start tappin' on the metal till the thing is straight. That metal is tough and will straighten pretty easy. A little body filler will do the rest.

My fender pan was pretty dented from the underside from rocks and snow chains. I tapped out almost all of the dents and used a minimal amount of filler. I am no body man, but it wasn't all that hard to do.

Question is, are you going to have it ready for the show next Friday? :D

Everything looks good so far. :USA:

Bob

I could load it all up in boxes!!!

rickv1957

The 2 areas where the arrows are factory places that are not perfect from stamping fender pan,the other area can be pushed back out by turning fender upside down,holding steady and pushing out or down with your foot to get most if not all,a little at a time!,Rick

mflowers

Well, I am probably making a much bigger deal out of this than it really is, but here goes....At first I had no doubt that I would use the TSC Resto primer and paint.

The color is not perfect but still just fine with me. (solved)

I painted a few small items with a spray bomb and noticed it was very soft, so...not really a problem because I intend to use the spray gun with hardner. Only problem is I haven't seen the finished product, is it really that much harder? (still to be decided)

I have read some of the post here and other places and thought maybe acrylic enamel was the way to go for durability, and better finish. I understand the TSC is an alkyd enamel that will fade and chalk after some time.

Then I confused myself even further by listening to a "pro"...now we have acrylic urathane and expoxy primer in the mix.

Then I read that most of it is toxic and will kill you.

So...after all that...can anybody tell me if the TSC Resto Series is in fact reasonably durable and safe to use or should I go for the acrylic enamel (urathane is out) AND can it be applies over the TSC primer?

:D

Save Old Iron

Then I read that most of it is toxic and will kill you.

Possibly,

but that's why we are letting Bob experiment with it first.

We will keep a close eye on him for the next 6 months.

mflowers

Well, after almost 7 years I am finally able to get back to this project!

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Better late than never! Welcome Back!

Texas Todd

Holy cow! I didn't notice the dates from the previous posts. Back to the grind!

I used Rustoleum Regal Red and hardener, cut with acetone and it came out nice. Just to see how it would wear, I painted my mailbox last June or July. It still looks brand new.

The before and after.

C160BeforeAfter2.thumb.jpg.d3a49a559bdc53d1419514be9a7e1435.jpg

Keep up the good work!

• Like 3

mflowers

My son now works for a shop that does blasting and powder coating and I'm thinking about having all parts except the engine done. Does anyone have experience with powder coat?

bmsgaffer

If you do a search on here for "powder coat", there have been several whole tractors done in powder. @Martin is the resident expert as far as I am aware. 

I think the consensus is that if the prep is done thorough and very well then it is very durable and will last a long time. There is not usually as much shine or gloss to it and the surface may not be as smooth, some people like it others don't. 

Personally, I have my wheel powder coated and then if I do any tractors ever it will probably be in epoxy with hardener, but I dont have access to cheap powder coating either... :)

T-Mo

BTW, since this is a restoration project, I moved it to the Restoration, etc., forum.

mflowers
3 hours ago, T-Mo said:

BTW, since this is a restoration project, I moved it to the Restoration, etc., forum.

Sounds good, thanks!

BaySide1
6 hours ago, bmsgaffer said:

If you do a search on here for "powder coat", there have been several whole tractors done in powder. @Martin is the resident expert as far as I am aware. 

I think the consensus is that if the prep is done thorough and very well then it is very durable and will last a long time. There is not usually as much shine or gloss to it and the surface may not be as smooth, some people like it others don't. 

Personally, I have my wheel powder coated and then if I do any tractors ever it will probably be in epoxy with hardener, but I dont have access to cheap powder coating either... :)

My 1991 520H has had the sheet Metal Powder Coated.

Pic Below

00v0v_5vw1H3zgeGE_600x450.jpg

• Like 1