mflowers

C-160 Restore

mflowers

I finally have had some time to get started on the C-160. So far I have found very little wrong with the tractor considering it is 30+ years old. I am having to take a few parts at a time into work for sandblasting but once that has been done I'm hoping the pace will pcik up just a bit.

Here are a few pictures as it sits today, if anyone has suggestions along the way I'll take all the advise I can get!

Tractor008.jpg

Tractor007.jpg

Tractor006.jpg

Tractor005.jpg

Tractor001.jpg

tgranthamfd

Nice start, it will start coming together before you know it. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, right off hand, but I know zero about the hydro units. :D

rickv1957

Looks like a good start there!,Rick

jpmcleod

I am glad you posted your picyures. I just got a C-120 and C-175 and they have their share of surface rust. I have started on the C-175 and have it almost stripped. Yours give me inspiration not to give up, although yours is not that rusty.

I hope yours yurn out really nice.

mflowers

There is more surface rust than pictures show, I am struggling with just how picky to be when sanding. I guess a little pitting will give it some character!

C-Series14

Great start! Take it down to the frame, you won't be sorry! :D

mflowers

Making a little more progress with the dis-assemble, I took a few pictures mostly for my reference but thought I would share some.

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

Prater

One thing I recomend, before you teardown use easy off oven cleaner and a powersprayer on the whole tractor. It is much easier

to work on without 30 year old grime getting everywhere.

mflowers

The last pic is just after using Purple Power and power washer, although there are still some spots that I couldn't get. I was wondering about oven cleaner...may even take some of the paint off too and save me some time sandblasting. I'll let you know how it works out..thanks!

jimbotelho

Hi I have the same machine that you have can you tell me the drive belt size ?the toro dealer tell me it is 84 in I am having trouble with the idler When I push it to energize it does not seem like it goes down far enough It works its way back up to the disengage position also if you have a better picture of the idler assy I would appreciate it Thanks :D

C-Series14

Hi I have the same machine that you have can you tell me the drive belt size ?the toro dealer tell me it is 84 in I am having trouble with the idler When I push it to energize it does not seem like it goes down far enough It works its way back up to the disengage position also if you have a better picture of the idler assy I would appreciate it Thanks :D

7478 is the part number, 84.22", HB/5L belt.

mflowers

Jim, looks like you have your answer..now I have a question for Guru. I have taken it down pretty much to the frame, I had to remove the dash and steering wheel as an assy. The steering wheel looks as if it has a roll pin holding it to the shaft, any suggestions for getting it off, I really don't want to have to paint around it!

Duff

Jim, looks like you have your answer..now I have a question for Guru. I have taken it down pretty much to the frame, I had to remove the dash and steering wheel as an assy. The steering wheel looks as if it has a roll pin holding it to the shaft, any suggestions for getting it off, I really don't want to have to paint around it!

:D To put it mildly, it's a challenge.

Try this thread:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...538&hl=roll+pin

There are others if you use the search words "roll pin".

Good luck!

Duff :USA:

Daddy Don

Keep it going you will love it when you get finished.

C-Series14

Like said before, it can be a challenge. I have removed 2 wheels once the pin is out with my 12 ton press. The pin is a roll pin, they need soaked and then a good punch the same size as the pin helps.

jimbotelho

thanks for the closeup of the idler I finally went up to a 85in belt and guess what ,it worked idler drops down nicely and when it is raised all the way up the belt stops moving completely I cut the lawn the other nite with the 36in deck and it performed great Now I have the mate for my 417a that is the workhorse of my "lil herd" :D forgot to mention the smoking belt problem also disappeared :USA:

mflowers

Great start! Take it down to the frame, you won't be sorry! :D

Well advice taken. It's all down hill from here!

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

Sure are lots of parts here..

DSCF0057.jpg

DSCF0058.jpg

I did find the front axleshaft broken at the weld

DSCF0059.jpg

I thought I saw on here where a member was selling an upgrade version of this steering shaft front bearing??

DSCF0060.jpg

And finally, I had to see something finished!

DSCF0061.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

rickv1957

Now you are ready for the fun part,painting and reassembly! :D Rick

massey

I just bought one of these tractors in "kit" form so I'll be watching this for all the info I can get. Thanks for the pictures so far.

Ed

mflowers

I just bought one of these tractors in "kit" form so I'll be watching this for all the info I can get. Thanks for the pictures so far.

Ed

I have lots of pictures, mostly for reference later, I am happy to share them if you get stuck.

Yes it will be the fun part, staying out of the "dog house" will be the challenge now.. :D

TheUnknownCat

Yep, I'm watching this post too. My 160 is likely to get the same treatment this winter. You're lookin' good. :D

mflowers

Well, dropped off most of the parts for sandblasting to a guy who rebuilds the big tractors. After talking with him I have decided to go with epoxy primer and acrylic enamel (he likes Dupont), the results he gets with this combo are 1st class. I had the hood and engine tins done with Valspar Resto Series and was really concerned about the durability, so....off it comes!

I am hoping that matching the color won't be too much of a hassle.

mflowers

The steering wheel is off!!! I soaked with Kroil (http://www.kanolabs.com) for several days and roll pin came right out. The wheel itself had to be coaxed a bit in the opposite direction but came off clean. :D

mflowers

Got the parts back from the sandblasting guy....

But he bent my seat pan.

DSCF0140.jpg

DSCF0141.jpg

I guess it's my fault, I left the tail light on and he couldn't get the bolt off one side, sooo, he just pryed it off! :D

Anybody have some advice for getting it straight again?

massey

Mark the exact location of the dent and hit that sandblasting guy squarely in the head at that precise point.