Sign in to follow this  
TT

Fellow Redsquare "campers"

TT

In less than 2 hours, I have rough assembled what I will call the beginning of the "real life" Hot Rod Wheel Horse. :thumbs:

I have chosen to use a recoil start small block Kohler to enable a lower hood height. (I haven't got to the sectioning the grille and shortening the hoodstand part yet.)

I know it's ugly as sin right now, but at least "IT'S ALIVE!" (well, sort of. :thumbs: )

ratrod1009.jpg

Sparky

Are gonna shorten the frame, or lengthen the hood? Is the front axle gittin flipped? I really liked the flipped look on some other tractor you posted about.

Definatelly have a good concept started.

Mike............

TT

Remember this one?

wickedwhitewalls-1.jpg

I'm going to try to achieve that look, except for the low profile rear tires. (I can't afford them right now. :thumbs: )

combatmp29r

Terry the start looks good :thumbs: Maybe it'll be assembled and rolling by the time I get up there with the 2 horses for your families stable. :thumbs:

nylyon

Did the 2 hours include the splicing of the hood? Looking good!

TT

It's just overlapped a little and clamped for now, Karl.

There's a long way to go before it gets to see the welder. :thumbs:

About one half hour of the two hours was spent looking for & digging out parts though. :thumbs:

Greg B.

Oooohh, this is gonna be bitchin'! :thumbs: Can't wait for TT's Rod Shop to roll this one out. Gonna be a real jaw dropper :thumbs::D:P

Greg B.

TT

Gotta get started on the Hippo-grain tuck & roll seat cover now, Greg! :thumbs:

illinilefttackle

Aw Gee you guys!-You have all the fun! You get to make "HOT ROD" tractors,Racer Tractors,FEL for tractors,Rear Blades for tractors, Special mufflers for tractors, Articulated Tractors,Diesel Tractors-WHEW! And I can't even get my tractor to do what its supposed to do-pick up my plow!

Yea, I know-rookies have to pay their dues-but I wanna play too!-AL :thumbs:

kj4kicks

Lookin' Good TT !

Cant wait to see it in person. If you need a hand, let me know....

I don't have hippo-skiin nauga, but I do have an industrial sewing machine!

TT

Thanks, Eldon!

Maybe some of that metal flake vinyl from the Schwinn muscle bike seat covers of the 60's would look cool ????? :thumbs:

kj4kicks

Yep, It's called "Zodiac", and I can get it in about 10 different colors ! There is a nice dark red.....

TT

Oh yeah ! ! ! ! !

That would be :thumbs: with some silver piping. :thumbs:

Nick

Looks like a good start on the rat rod. :thumbs: Are you making the scoop from hood parts also? Now if you could find some white wall tires you would be all set. As kids I think my brother ran G-60 tires with uni lug rims on his Wheel Horse. Something like that might look cool if you could get the right size tires.

Nick

TT

I really want a pair of these, Nick -- but money's a little tight right now.

I'm just going to try to work with what I have for now, and hopefully be able to make it look decent. :thumbs:

I'll probably make the scoop from the piece I cut out of the hood. :thumbs:

Greg B.

Terry,

How about button tufted diamond tuck, with the red naugacow and silver piping? :D:thumbs: The tires are sweet and I like some of those wheels, too. Adapter plates wouldn't be too hard, for a guy with a mill and a rotary table.....

Bell used to have a three spoke steering wheel in red metalflake, too! Another adapter! Or maybe one of those 60s chain wheels for the Rat Rod.

I really like :thumbs: that suicide front end. Don't forget the antenna with the ultimate trophy; a bra :D:P

Yeah, we were a little rowdy....

Greg B.

kpinnc

Looks really cool in concept Terry. Looking forward to seeing it as it progresses.

Kevin

T-Mo

I dunno know :thumbs: , but the front tires don't look like the sketch. How are you going to hook the steering to that floor jack? :D :thumbs:

TT

I dunno know :thumbs: , but the front tires don't look like the sketch. How are you going to hook the steering to that floor jack? :P:thumbs:

I was thinking about individual brakes on the rear..... and steering it "shopping cart style". :D :D

TT

Chapter 1, Page 2....

Today the front axle was changed to the one from the B-115, which is about 2.5" narrower. This required about .500" of material to be removed in the bolster pin area on the axle beam itself. The B-115 spindles were replaced with Charger 12 spindles because they're shorter. The 6" front wheels & tires from the B-115 were then installed on the shorter spindles. The tires are wider and taller than the ones I'd like to use, so there isn't much of a drop to the front end yet. I may end up moving the bolster pin location upward on the frame, or making some new dropped spindles from scratch. :thumbs::thumbs:

The hoodstand was also shortened by 2" and the underside of the hood is now resting on the sparkplug wire boot. I sawed the bottom of the grille off and haven't got in to doing any reconstruction of that area yet. I also chopped the end off an old 753 belt guard and stuck it on just to see how things were going to work in that area.

Here's a new "ugly" picture:

ratrod2004.jpg

Rollerman

It's gonna be :thumbs: TT

Just a thought...how about a flipped 62 style front axle with spindles from a 300 or 400 series equipted with the 6" rims?.... :D

Hope you get it worked out by June...like to see this bad ride in person. :thumbs:

TT

I wish we had an extra '61/'62 front axle -- for Hobie's tractor. :thumbs:

He "accidentally" bought an axle for a '60/'61 M.E. tractor at the show last June and it's "floating" around here. If my kid will let me try it :D , I'd like to see what it would look like under the front end. I might have to do the newer spindle trick because I'm afraid it would sit TOO low. (even with 8" front tires) I'd also have to open the bolster pin hole up to 3/4", so I'd have to hit my Dad up for a drill bit. :P

It would probably be perfect if I just had those 12" low profile rear tires. :thumbs:

kpinnc

I like it Terry! Keep the pics coming! :thumbs:

Kevin

T-Mo

Starting to take shape pretty good. I agree it's going to be :thumbs:

Greg B.

That bad boy is going to snap some heads around, at a show. :thumbs:

Greg B.