Sign in to follow this  
wfopete

Baddest of the Round Hoods?

wfopete

Initially I thought this would be an EZ question but maybe not.

What was the highest HP motor used in a Wheel Horse Round Hood model?

Then I thought, there are probably plenty of Round Hood models that use a motor that HP, so if that is the case lets include physical size/capabilities also.

Hope not to start any horse wars, there may be more than one winner!

Kelly

The 854 was the only round hood to use a 8hp engine and was the biggest they ever put in a round hood factory.

Doubletrouble

I think the one in Kelly"s avatar is pretty bad a$$ myself

jaydeer

Hey horse feathers show them your new 16 horse round hood, not that it came from the factory. Thanks to crazy horse for that one.

Kelly

Mine has a 16hp kohler in it

pumper.atv

mine has 15 hp

TT

24+hp Honda V twin in a Lawn Ranger (belonged to a friend):

th_Quigglepull1.jpg

• Like 1

horsefeathers

4433965318_f57e15aaf7_b.jpg

The mighty 854'

64 854 w/ original 8hp kohler!

The baddest of he bad! :D last of the round hoods!

Jaydeer, kid took my camera I'll take pics 'n post tommorw of the 16hp Wild Horse luvin' that one, it's a big bad wolf! luv the lil' red roundy hoods! Thanks :USA: HORSEFEATHERS!

horsefeathers

OK, who does have the bigest badest round hood ? Lil' red roundy hood ain't afraid of the big bad wolf! Soooo..... Lets see what ya' got! Cummon don't be shy put em' up lets go! :D HORSEFEATHERS!

MikesRJ

I have a dumb question. :D

You have that big shiny aluminum cover on your engine there, which appears to be completely covering the air intake over the flywheel (which is normally open so air can enter and cool the engine).

Is there an air gap around that thing, or another avenue for air to enter the flywheel, or perhaps some other venting that just isn't visible in your picture so the engine can cool?

If not I would suspect your engine runs fairly hot which will eventually cause internal damage to the engine components.

Nick

8hp can get most jobs done just a little slower than the big tractors.

Having the hood would the Lawn Ranger be the last Round hood? This might be the heaviest round hood.

loading001-1.jpg

• Like 1

buckeye

I have a dumb question. :USA:

You have that big shiny aluminum cover on your engine there, which appears to be completely covering the air intake over the flywheel (which is normally open so air can enter and cool the engine).

Is there an air gap around that thing, or another avenue for air to enter the flywheel, or perhaps some other venting that just isn't visible in your picture so the engine can cool?

If not I would suspect your engine runs fairly hot which will eventually cause internal damage to the engine components.

I thought it was a hupcap :D

Coadster32

Sounds like the 854 was the factory big boy... (I got one!!) :D

854WH

i dont know how bad mine is i just put a brand new kohler 7hp engine

it runs on strawberry juice :D:wh::USA:

Attached Image

post-3-1274231690.jpg

horsefeathers

Nick, Lawn Ranger w/loader liftin' logs! Now thats a heavy hitter! :D I like it! Mike.,Spun aluminim cover is mounted on stand offs so 'da 8 pony can breath! Anybody else have a bad round hood? Lets see yer stuff! :USA: HORSEFEATHERS!

bell

Well, lets see....

The 502 diesel 8-speed...

dieselhorse_005%7E2.jpg

dieselhorse_007%7E1.jpg

Or, the 633 dually with a K181...

633_063.jpg

Or, the Johnny Cash tractor (psychobilly)

johnnycash_057.jpg

Or, the Suburban 8-speed... (k181) backburner project...

sundaypics037.jpg

I'm getting ready to start on another one that will be FULL under the hood... but, you'll have to wait until I get time for a mockup... :D

massey

This is getting good. I like them all.

horsefeathers

Round hood Junkie, I have seen yer horses on another thread here before!

And Yes, Yes, Yes! You have some baaadddd, baaadddd horses there! I aspire to be like the master, and 'am gaining on you fast! The deisel, dually,Johnny Cash,'n8spd sub! Too cool! Yer in the lead brother! And the Full under the hood, can't wait! Thanks! :D HORSEFEATHERS!

Duff

Dang, Jon, that psychobilly tractor is some gorgeous (but folks around here are getting used to my growing penchant for black on my tractors)! :USA:

Nice pics all, folks!

Duff :D

horsefeathers

OOOhhh Yea! Love them round hoods! Keep'em commin' guys! Let's see big power in a small package! You can do it! :D HORSEFEATERS!

horsefeathers

4618883861_a1b82103e9_b.jpg

Da' Big Bad Wolf! My son Jam Dawg & Grandaughter Shelby! Just picked this one up from RS member Jaydeer! Thanks Crazy Horse! 520 chassis, forward swept front axle, 8spd, 16hp Kohler, Streched round hood! SWEET RIDE!

4619408148_faf61823ff_b.jpgAfter a lil' red touch up! :D HORSEFEATHERS!

• Like 1

bell

A quick and dirty mockup... Will eventually have two K181's... (mockup is with a k141 and a K161, but I have a stockpile of small block Kohlers at my disposal)

bigblock_002.jpg

puddlejumper

Bell could you show pcture of belt settup. I am assuming the two engines will be belted together possibly using one as a pony motor to start the other. But unless its a secret I would really like to see other side of that tractor..........With belt gaurd off. I am starting to get wise to you folks :D

bell

Haven't got around to the belt setup yet, but it will be very simple... I will use 3-groove pulleys on both engines, with the outer 2 grooves belted together with a simple idler setup... and the drive belt will run off of the inner groove on the rear engine.

horsefeathers

Sounds good to me! That setup should workfine! And 16 horses under the Round Hood, Priceless! Those tires are crazy what are they off of? Looks like a fun project! Now thats a big, bad, round hood! Thanks! :D HORSEFEATHERS!