Sign in to follow this  
CasualObserver

Horse Haulers

CasualObserver

Just picked up my new Horse Hauler last night... :D I previously had Black Beauty... a 97 4x4 S-10 ext cab. She still ran great, but at 154,000 miles, it was time to get out while she still had some value. So, I came across this gem, and she's now in the driveway. Best yet, she's RED!!... Now, she just needs a name.

truck1.jpg

truck2.jpg

nylyon

Nice looking truck, congratulations on the new horse hauler!

T-Mo

A name? How about "Red Hauler"? That's a nice looking Chevy. I think the '98 to '02 Chevys are one of the best looking trucks around, with it's clean lines and no-nonsense looks. Then Chevy ruined the looks of them in '03 with the "cats eye" look. Just my opinion of course.

My hauler is a '98 Dakota Sport V-6, and I pulled a 14 foot single axle trailer that I can easily get two tractors on. I have pictures of both truck and trailer somewhere.

Curmudgeon

I've had my current Horse Hauler since January of 2004, was new, now it has 85,000 miles on it. It would have had a lot more if it wasn't for being unemployed for 11 months and missing some of the shows in Pennsylvania. Speaking of which, I hope to make it in 2008, the 10 year anniversary of the show.

Anyway it's a 2004, Ford Ranger, 4.0 V-6. Slapped on a K&N air intake kit, which I like. Used to pull a small trailer as well, but sold it as I was in need of cash, so it's just the Ranger now. The one time I weighed it, I had a 1500 pound payload on. Yeah, it squatted.

Since I live on a gravel road, but mostly because I'm basically a slob at heart, I'd rather spend time using stuff than washing it, it's dirty like it always is. Fortunately, the reflections cover up most of it.

Ranger.jpg

Dale, in Michigan

T-Mo

Dale,

That's a nice looking Ranger, dirt and all. How's the power on that 4.0? I can't really tell, but is it 4WD or 2WD?

My brother-in-law used my 3.9 V-6 Dakota to pull a 16 foot car hauler with a Cavalier on it recently, though we pulled the engine and tranny out of the Cavalier. Still, that's a pretty heavy load, but it didn't really squat the Dakota and it handle it just fine. Though I wouldn't want to handle that load a lot with it.

Curmudgeon

4x4, need it to get out to work, and back in the winter. I hate winter, even have to buy more expensive vehicles that get worse mileage because of it. In case you're wondering, that's a low of 13 (only once) to a high of 23, mostly right around 21 day to day.

I'd say the power is decent. I see a lot higher ratings, but so far have never had a lack. But I've never tried hauling the rated 5500 pounds in the mountains either! I did haul two Horse's, spare 8-speed, dozer blade, mower deck, and misc other parts home from Ohio one day. 4'x8' trailer, a Horse in the truck, another in the trailer, 75MPH all the way.

HEY, it was a day trip, 700 and some miles, can't be messing around with no darn speed limits.

Dale

CasualObserver

Thanks for the comments guys, and Treed, I agree with you. I like the style of truck I got. I'm still not fond of the slanted headlights of the 03 and newer models. I'm undecided on the newest look. (mostly because I probably will never be faced with owning one and need the precious space in my head for other useless knowledge!!):D

Dale, I like your ranger. It was a tossup between a Ranger and my S-10 when I bought it. Just liked the s-10 better. Had the Vortec 4.3 and 4x4.... got 17 mph on a bad day and 22 on a good day. Probably never see those numbers out of the new one, but then again... daily driving is left to the Taurus!!

kj4kicks

As soon as I can find the pics, I'll post mine. It's a family heirloom. 1971 Ford Pickup. Started out life as a 1/2 ton, 302 engine, 3 on the tree, and manual everything. Couldn't even eat a cheesebuger and drive at the same time! Now it's a 3/4 ton, fresh 351W engine, c-6 auto trans, power disc brakes, power steering, and bucket seats. Drive it anywhere and get 14 mpg on the highway. (The old 302 only got 12) More power AND better mileage, now that I like.

That and the 6x10 enclosed trailer have logged ALOT of miles on buying trips for my business, as well as going to Cinci to pick up the FEL and parts tractor, about 1500 miles round trip.

Eldon.

Curmudgeon

Dale, I like your ranger. It was a tossup between a Ranger and my S-10 when I bought it. Just liked the s-10 better. Had the Vortec 4.3 and 4x4.... got 17 mph on a bad day and 22 on a good day. Probably never see those numbers out of the new one, but then again... daily driving is left to the Taurus!!

Brain dead decision for me. Ford family discount. It's the ONLY way I could get even the Ranger. What I really wanted as an F-150, but the extra 8 grand just wasn't going to happen.

Dale

kpinnc

I may soon be the "stepchild" around here, but I drive a 1997 4x4 extra cab Toyota Tacoma. I love my truck! 195,000 miles- 3 sets of tires, 1 starter, 2 sets of plugs/ wires, and a new oil filter when I change the oil. No joke, that's it. Best vehicle I have ever owned. I get 26 MPG on the highway, and in 4 LOW it has never stranded me. Granny gear is so low in the thing you can point it to the road, dump the clutch, go inside and eat dinner and come back before it goes 50 feet.

Pop drives an F-150. He teased me for years that his golf cart could pull more than my "baby truck" as he called it. He got stuck 3 years ago pulling a tandem axle trailer loaded with oak. I pulled the F-150, trailer, firewood and all to the highway (couple hundred feet in the mud), jumped out, got into the back of my truck and yelled m-m-m-m-my Toyota!!!

He doesn't pick on me about it anymore....

Rollerman

Great story "K", but did you have to wind ip up an extra turn or two? :D

My current horse hauler is an 02 Ford Superduty 3/4 ton with the V10.

It will pull everything I have & some....but won't pass a gas station... :P

At best I get maybe 14 highway...but I'm no math wizz & thats a vague estimation.

We hope to have a boat next season or even sooner & will need it for trailering.

I did have a a Nissan P/U at one time....bought it new in 95 & put over 250,000 before I had to change the timeing chain...that was a great truck for me, just out grew it though.

I have a 95 S10 Blazer that is my wifes old car for a work beater....but with just over 100,000 on it the thing drives "squirly"...prefer to drive truck & sell Chevy but wife is sentimental.

Stephen in northern IN....wish I had a deisel

T-Mo

Next year I want to get another truck, thinking either a Quad Cab Dakota, or a Chevy Colorado Crew, or possibly a Nissan Frontier or maybe a Titan, if I go full size. It'll depend on what I can find and for what price. I'm not sure if I want a full size, but I'm still undecided.

nylyon

Current horse hauler is a 4x8 trailer pulled behind a 2005 Dodge Durango, just turned 13,000 miles (which also pulls our camping trailer, love multi duty machines). In March or April of next year, I'm planning on getting rid of the Durango for an F350 Diesel Dually or Ram 3500 pickem up truck. Towing with the Hemi and 3.92 gears, I'm getting a whopping 9 MPG pulling the camper. The Diesel will get much better than that and be a much better towing truck can't wait!

camping.JPG

T-Mo

Here's my '98 Dakota:

DodgeDakota.jpg

kj4kicks

OK, I'll see if this works....

P1014964.jpg

nylyon

That truck's in great shape. What's that next to it, maybe an old Chevelle, hard to make out?

kj4kicks

Chevelle? Nah, but close. It's the first car that I ever bought.

1968 Buick GS 400

yardLF.jpg

nylyon

Very nice GS, you've kept it looking great!

CasualObserver

Those are awesome!!... :D I would say one's a "horse hauler"... the other is just a "Hauler!!" :P Sweet Rides!

kj4kicks

Thanks guys ! They both do what they're supposed to do.

The Buick had a frame-off restoration, and it still has less than 100k on it.

One hauls horses, one hauls the horse's a$$....

Eldon.

T-Mo

Those mid-70's Fords are my favorite era for Ford trucks, except for maybe the mid-60's versions. What year is that one as I always get confused on what years had the bulge inside or outside?

kj4kicks

Mine is a '71. The 67-72's had the bulge out. 73-79 had the bulge in.

Thanks for the comps.

Eldon.

Sparky

Heres mine actually hauling a few horses :D. Its a 2002 GMC-Z71 with a BIG TEX 6'x12' trailer. I can get 4 "C" series in it with room for extra stuff. This pic is at the "07" Wheel Horse show. I had 4 tractors and extra stuff in the trailer and an RJ-59 in the bed.

Mike.....

2007_0622Image0004.jpg

Sparky

Check out the guys truck next to mine.

Mike...

Curmudgeon

Now I'd LOVE one of those. The guy next to you that is. Nothing less than a 475 with a 13 speed though! Got a need for power.

Uh, that was nothing LESS than a 475!!!

Dale, 230 with a 6 speed in the work truck he drives. (just a baby LOL)