Sign in to follow this  
catman81056

Back Blade

catman81056

The entrance to my drive is gravel and over time it pretty well went away. My youngest son also drives a redi-mix truck and he thought it would be a good place to put a load of wash-out. Well when it nice and dry the stuff hardens up really well but get a good rain and it turns into a mushy mess. The ruts made during rain and snow thawing is pretty bad. There was a definite crown. I want to bring in a load of 1" white rock and cover that slop up. So, I was looking at back blades because I figured I might need to loosen this stuff up while grading it down. The back blades I saw looked simple to make so thats what I did. Using their pattern and adding some of my own ideas this is what I came up with:

DSCF0502.jpg

DSCF0503.jpg

DSCF0506.jpg

DSCF0504.jpg

I had to try it out and I was pleased, the crown is gone and it didn't bother the D160 one bit.

Rollerman

Wow Tim that is impressive! :thumbs:

I've seen some homemade ones built before...but they looked like just that.

Your's looks like a heavy quality pro built one.

Yep I guess I'm saying your a pro builder now. :thumbs:

By the way what are the dimensions on that....48" wide?

catman81056

16" tall X 18" deep X 47" wide. When I first started rounding up the material I wanted to use the longest piece of 2X3 tube I had was 47". I could have used a piece of 1"x4" flat bar but it would have taken forever to mill the slots for the rippers. I used a piece of 1/2"X4" angle for the bottom blade. I just ground the front side to a dull edge. Over all the most time consuming part was drilling all the holes in the rippers. Even with power feed on the mill it took close to 3 hrs.

T-Mo

Nice, and impressive. :thumbs: Great job and it does look professional. :thumbs:

kj4kicks

Nice Job !! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Nick

Have to join in with the others, that is an impressive looking blade. Great job on the rippers. :thumbs: Looks better built than a lot of the blades being sold out there. :thumbs:

Nick

Greg B.

Ditto, to all of the above, Tim. I like those rippers.

Greg B.

69DEZ

SWEET!!!!!!! :thumbs::thumbs::D Very nice JOB!!!

.5racer

Great job , I have ordered material to build one myself . What was the final weight of the blade and did you have to use front weight to lift ? Just something I was wondering about ? :thumbs:

kpinnc

Man, I like that! Tim, that is just awesome! :thumbs:

Kevin

Stigian

Looks like it should last a few years :D

Top fabrication work Tim :thumbs: :thumbs:

catman81056

Thanks fella's. Good words coming from the group of people we have on this site is very flattering. I appreciate it very much. :thumbs: I salute you.

.5racer, I'm going to guess and say 125-150 lbs. I didn't have any problem lifting although it did squat alittle in the rear. Didn't seem to affect the steering when I drove up front to try it out.

The rippers are 1/2"x2" flat, I just cut an angle on the ends.

combatmp29r

Tim I meant to reply on this yesterday, but got side tracked by the kids. :thumbs:

Excellent piece of fabrication. I can see alot of thought wentinto the design by details like the angles mounting arms, and supports fror the tool bar back to the rear of the blade. I would actually say that that is better designed and built than the 5' one we have on the farm for the same purpese. :thumbs: My hats off to you. :D

catman81056

Thanks Joel. As you can see in the background I went ahead and tarped your tractor and Glenns plow. The engine and related parts are in the garage.

combatmp29r

Thanks Tim. I wasn't sure what all wa sunder the Tarp. I could see ablower, but new mine wasn't there yet :thumbs: Again you didn't have too as she's been outside a few years already, but I do appriciate it. :thumbs: