Sign in to follow this  
Mith

What would cause this

Mith

What could be worn to cause the deck to be this wonky?

I'm pretty sure its on right, just in the QA at the front, and hanging from the lift arm. But its really wonky, and I cant tell why. I'm guessing that something must be worn and the belts are pulling it to the right. Any ideas where to look?

18-03-08_1706.jpg

18-03-08_1708.jpg

Greg B.

I'd be looking at the frame mounting points and the possibility of worn mounting holes, or bends, in the mounting linkage, but that's just me. The Port side does seem to trail a bit...

I like that front weight bracket. Been thinking along those lines myself.

Greg B.

Rollerman

Jim take the deck off & inside the carrier there should be a pair of threaded adjusters for getting those twin belts tight.

I'm guessing you have some wear in that area.

You may be able to adjust it straight...or may need some new parts to replace some worn ones. :thumbs:

TT

Jim,

I suspect that to be a deck similar to this one;

1966RL-366.jpg

There's a "tube" through the center mount where the cross shaft passes that can wear on the ends.

52520030.jpg

The wear in that area combined with the wear at the front mount is enough to make these decks trail very crooked under the tractor.

The mounting "carriage" also seems to bow on these decks due to the pull from the belts. I have thought about addig a diagonal brace to mine from the left front corner back to the right rear area to help brace it against this flex.

Greg B.

Boy, was I all wet! Sorry, Jim and thanks, Terry :thumbs:

Greg B. slinking back to his cave.....

Mith

Ok, thanks guys.

I didn't notice anything being bent. I also didnt notice it being out of line last summer, but I guess I might have missed it.

The possibility is there that I tweaked it on something, and everything is bent, hence I cant see a single bent item. I might take the deck off and measure it up to check its straight.

Greg, the weights keep the wheels down on the hills, the shaped bits hanging off the H beam are like suitcase weights, they lift on one by one to get the right weight. Probably 100lbs in all there.

RED-85-Z51

My 32" deck did that a few years ago..on it there are "ball end" on the 2 front hanger bars that "snap" into the front cross bar...one had popped out and was worn, made it all cock eyed and wouldnt lift right.

I added some bronze to the ball and heated the cross shaft with a torch, and cooled the ball, and snapped it back together with a hammer. Fit tight, no popping back out.

Stigian

I have the cutting deck from my 312 sitting around Jim if its of any use to you :thumbs:

Mith

Ian, its a short frame, so the deck doesn't fit. I've got one off my 312 aswell. I might modify it to fit some time, the extra 10" cut width would be nice.

Mith

Well it seems everything is worn. I cant find any one part that is causing that much slop, so I guess its the combination of all the slop in all the parts. If I push it with my foot it goes across to the right position, seems the pressure of the belts over the years has worn it so it can pull to that side.

I'm thinking I could add a spring to the left to equal out the pull from the belts on the right.

Cut doesn't seem to be affected, so the spring will just make it look right.

Greg B.

Thanks, I'm feeling a little drier.... :thumbs:

Greg B.

WheelHorse_of_course

All I can say is that the deck on my 854 does exactly the same thing.

I thought that adjusting the belt adjust turnbuckles would straighten it out, but they were frozen so I decided to let it go till the belts need replacing.

Cheers