Sign in to follow this  
jlove

Need transmission for '73 hydro tractor

jlove

I am in need of a transmission for a '73 hydrostat riding lawn mower. It is the smaller model transmission. Model number 90-1173. Does anyone know where I could get one? I live in Indiana. My tractor will go forward just fine but is very very slow in reverse.

rickv1957

Hello and :D If your tractor goes good in forward,maybe just needs linkage adjustment, :USA: Rick

Raider12

:D Glad to have you aboard. The Moderator may move this to the correct area in a while. But I may havve the trans you need. I will send you an email.

jlove

I have tried to adjust the linkage, changed the fluid and filter and still very weak reverse. I know i am looking for a model 90-1173 transmission if that helps.

jlove

I should have mentioned this in the post before...but I am not sure I really know how to adjust the linkage. I did replace the plastic piece the slides up and down.

Raider12

Jlove, I recieved your email. You stated your tractor was a 16 horse. This would not be considered the small transmission. There are hydro that are much lighter duty than what you would have in a 16 hp tractor. I tried to look up the model you posted. I could not get this to work. Is this the model of the tractor or transmission? We would need the tractor model. This is located just under the dash rivited in place.

But again, there maybe other issues to deal with prior o replacing the transmission.

Coadster32

:D Your first name wouldn't happen to be Jason, would it?

jlove

I guess I am not 100% sure that I need a new transmission. I just know that I have replaced the fluid and filter and nothing changed. I talked with a couple local people and they said it was common for the transmission to stop going in reverse. I have seen two kinds of transmissions for older model wheel horses and there is a smaller transmission and a larger transmission that I am aware of. My tractor has the smaller of the two. The model number 90-1173 is the model of number for the transmission. I got that from the tag on the transmission. I got a replacement from a wheel horse guys close to me but when I installed it, i got nothing. I am going to assume it is a bad transmission. If there is a way to fix my current transmission I would love to do that, but I am not sure what needs to be done.

I will also look for the tag that you mentioned on the tractor to see if I can figure out the model of the tractor. I have been trying to research that myself. I did post a picture if that helps a bit.

Attached Image

post-74-1273490006.jpg

Raider12

First off, pictures are always a good thing. The model number is just below the dash. Or above the gear levers. It's should be located one small tag that is rivited to the dash tower. This model number will help big time.

One thing you said that raises a flag with me is no reverse. If the hyro pump is working it would not matter whick direction. And the gear box I would think would have problem with forward as well as reverse? :D:USA:

What part of town are you in?

HunterdonNJ

My 79 auto did the same thing, lost reverse. I thought it was just a fluid problem but I think it's just like the old car trans where reverse takes the highest pump pressure. I'm thinking of just changing the pump and giving that a try. Right now I have a little reverse but only when running at full throttle. If and when I do change it I'll let you know. Keep us informed if you get er fixed.

Thanks,

Jonas

jlove

I didn't realize I had more replies to this post. I have tried to find another transmission and could only find one similar. I am not having problems getting it all back together. There is no tag with the model number under the dash. Just a flat piece of metal. I think it might have been replaced before I got it. I have been looking through the pictures on this site and it does seem like it is around the 1974-74 time frame. I am located in Churubusco IN and do not really know any wheel horse people that might be able to help me. I have been looking for a manual online but it is hard not knowing the model of the tractor. It does have e 16HP Kohler in it which makes me think that might not be the right motor since it does have the smaller of the two transmission types I have run across.

C-Series14

Check on the leading edge of the right side panel, below the battery for the tag also.

Well, I just saw where the battery is! I would say it is a 1978-1979 C-161 Auto. So, the ID tag SHOULD be on that flat plate below the steering wheel. Are there 2 small holes where the tag was maybe?

jlove

Mike - Thank you so much. I have looked up pictures of the 1978-1979 C-161 and my tractor is the same. I can't thank you enough for helping me figure out the model. I have been looking at earlier tractors for a new transmission. I did get one from i think a C-120 which is not as wide, but tonight I was able to modify the mounting for the tank/fender and the tractor works great. This will at least allow me to use the tractor until I can find the correct transmission.

I appreciate all of your guys' help. I am so glad that I stumbled upon this website!

Jerry

C-Series14

No problem. The decal was throwing me off! It makes it look older....then I saw the battery.