Sign in to follow this  
boovuc

600, 700 series Starter/Generator Questions

boovuc

Hi Guys!

My Frankenstein 601, 856 or 1045 (since it has parts from all of them) has me scraching my head.

Armed with my trusty Volt-Ohm Meter, what am I looking for in diagnosing my voltage regulator/starter/generator? Lets say that I have checked the usual in regard to the key switch function, good grounds and clean terminals everywhere from the dash, battery and points down under the hood?

With a fully charged battery, this thing won't even make a clicking noise!? No lights, (big red generator light), nothing. Again, my VOM tells me that the key switch is working. How about a bypass for the key switch?

Even if that generator is crap, shouldn't I see or hear something? (Besides a fireball). :D

I'm a little stumped and need my hand held! :USA:

Thanks,

Boovuc

Mill Hall, PA

Save Old Iron

Boovuc,

I wish I could help on this but my experience with starter gens is 0 right now - But - I just bought a low $$ 800 Special just this week to learn a little from it.

The word "Frankenstein" is going to make this interesting as I have learned there are many "stages" of Frankensteinism.

I am a visual learner - I like pics - surprise there, huh ?

A pic of the back of the starter switch and the starter gen area of the engine would be a good start.

In the mean time , here is a link to get familiar with the s/g's. I'm trying to digest this one myself.

http://www.simpletractors.com/service/elec..._regulators.htm

http://www.simpletractors.com/service/elec...r-generator.htm

In your case, you don't even appear to have the starter part of the starter / generator.

I would check to make sure there is 12 volts at the "A" terminal of the starter gen unit while you are trying to start the tractor. If you have 12 volts there, the starter gen should act as a starter.

But this brings up a safety issue too.

Make sure the tractor transmission is in neutral before fussing with the s/g unit. It is possible the tractor could start and run away from you while your troubleshooting the relay or s/g unit.

Keep us updated. We will all learn from this one.