Sign in to follow this  
BPjunk

HEY KELLY!!!! ATTENTION KELLY

BPjunk

Can you get me the serial number of the Charger with the with wall tires that you have????? Tell me the area you found the Charger and any other information you can? :D

AND WHAT EVER YOU DO ........ DO NOT MODIFY THAT TRACTOR!!! :thumbs:

I may have found some interesting information on that Charger . :thumbs:

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Kelly

Ok, Bill you have my att. Please let me know what you think this is? Here is all the info I have

T 7931

I picked up the tractor a mile up the road from me (Olivet, MI) lower mid MI. from a guy that bought it for the hit and miss engine that was on it (IH), He didn't like how slow it was with the hydro so he pulled the engine and parked the tractor beside the barn, where he got it I'm not sure, I think he said a auction near here but I'm not sure. I could ask if it would help? Please fill me in, the tractor is not whole all I have is the frame modified, dash tower(missing the tank holder), trans, 1 foot rest, rear fender, front axle and of corse the wheels and tires what I have is fairly nice here is a pic of it, I added the hub caps and hood for the pic.

100_7325.jpg

Kelly

BILL YOUR KILLING ME what do you think I have? I'm going to bed soon and won't sleep if you don't tell me.

nylyon

Me too, and heck it ain't even mine.

perry

ya bill, come on !.

sure would be nice to see what decals where on the hood. i am curious.

perry

is that hydro ingage lever on backwards :thumbs:

BPjunk

Kelly,

From what I have been trying to figure out from the information I have is that the Chargers with white walls were the ones used at the Indianapolis 500 race.

another piece of information I need is every word that is written on the tires to do some verifying.

Another interesting fact about the Wheel Horses used at the Indy 500 is the 500 SPECIALS were not used at the race track, the tractor of choice was the hydrostatic Charger models.

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Kelly

Thanks Bill I will go out tomarrow after work and bring a tire in the house and get all the info off it,It' frezzing rain out there right now. How many do you think were built with white walls? Only 1968? I would have thought they would have used a tractor with a bigger motor. I think this was a Charger 9 I think with out looking it up that was a Tec. motor also, Why not the Elecrto 12?

CasualObserver

Kelly I have the high res picture you sent me. I've posted it on the web here

Whitewall high res picture

Maybe that can save you going out in the freezing rains :thumbs:

Rollerman

Kelly I may be off base here...but seems like the one's that were actually used for going around the track they would have wanted the fastest they had.

A Tecumseh spins a shade faster than a Kohler & a hydro runs a little faster than the gear trans.

Then consider the driver may have rigged a string to over run the govenor?

You may have seen a tucky equipted hydro with wide white walls going a blistering pace in the area of 10MPH :thumbs: around the brick yard....but again just a theory since I don't know if a hydro can push faster if the engine does. :thumbs:

Kelly

Ok Bill I'll do my best I'll list everything on the back of the tire there is more back there.

Wheel horse

Turf-saver

23x8.50-12

2 ply rating

made in USA

C (then in a oval shape is a 4 then a space and 8) 2

The C and the 2 are on both ends of the oval

Boy are these things dry rotted :thumbs:

There you go Bill do your thing, Please let me know anything you find out.

Sparky

Dang suspense is killin me :thumbs: .

Mike.........

combatmp29r

Your not the only one Mike

BPjunk

Hummmm now what was the subject about ... a set of M&H Racemasters on the back of a Wheel Horse:huhs: .... uh no wait ... that's a Wheel Horse in my garage!

Oh yeah the white wall tires on the 1968 Charger, yes this was one of the Wheel Horses used at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Indy 500!

CONGRADULATIONS!!!!

It seems that after the race was over RECO Distributors :thumbs: just sold the Wheel Horses to the general public. (Radio Equipment Company is the Indiana distributor for Wheel Horse Products) I would find another 1968 Charger 9 and swap over the needed parts to restore that tractor! :thumbs:

Bill in Richmond, Va.

nylyon

Now you have a piece of Wheel Horse History! I suppose we now know the real answer to Wheel Horse White Wall tires! Great deal, and I agree get a parts tractor to fix up this one!

Kelly

:thumbs: :thumbs: Thanks Bill now I have a couple of questions you maybe able to answer, Can you tell me a production no. for the tires? Maybe how many were used at the race? And were I can get this info to print out? I think I have most of the parts to fix this up, but no Tec. 9hp I have a Tec. 10 that will work till I can find the right one. Again thanks, Bill I hope to meet you at the show this year.

kj4kicks

Congrats Kelly !!!

Nice find !

BPjunk

Uh and oh yeah I almost forgot .......

Hopefully at the 10 th Annual Wheel Horse Show should be some real good proof of this ..... like as in PICTURES! :thumbs::P:thumbs::D:D:P

Bill in Richmond, Va.

perry

sweet deals kelly.

gotta love them white walls

combatmp29r

Great find Kelly :thumbs:

CasualObserver

Kelly, there was no Tec 9HP... the HH100 Tec 10 was the original engine in the Charger 9 and Raider 9... I have both. Rumor is that it was only RATED at like 9.6 HP, and later got bumped up to a full 10 HP, thus... the Charger 10 and Raider 10.

bowtieguy

Heck, I like to look at it just the way it is....sure would make a good conversation piece in my Horse barn....em' wide whites take me back to the 50's when I put fake wide whites on my first ole beater....car didn't look like much but em' big ole Al Capon gangster white walls looked cool"

Wishin' I could find a WH with whites...sure would make a good parade tractor.

Hope to see more about this tractor at da big show in PA this June :thumbs:

Buzz

em' wide whites take me back to the 50's when I put fake wide whites on my first ole beaterJune :thumbs:

Fake white walls, man I hadn't thought about them in decades. Put them on my 1954 Mercury Monterey back in 1959. Bought them ridulously cheap at Pep Boys, transferred them to my next car. Man was I cool :thumbs: ...........

TT

There's a set of 4 "Porta-walls" hanging in the neighbors garage, Buzz.

I believe they'd turn to dust if someone tried to use them now! :thumbs:

Greg B.

Fake whitewalls.... :thumbs: Man, does that take me back. Am I the only one, here, that can remember the "special" whitewall paint that had to be renewed almost every weekend? If you didn't, it turned yellow and crazed like mad! The Saturday ritual went something like wash, wax, vacume and do the tires. I think we got that crap at Western Auto, back then.

Greg B.