Sign in to follow this  
nwh1-0475

Saving a Motor

nwh1-0475

My neihbor has a Cub, not sure of the model at this time, it is a LT series with a 25 HP i think. Anyways he stoped me yesterday and said that he had ran it out of oil unknowinly, said I could have it if I wanted it. Is there any "easy" way to try and fix it, ie run some kerosene or sea foam through it and get some of the power back. Not sure if I want to spend 2500.00 on a new motor for a machine that already has 663 hours on it. Thanks for any help.

Doubletrouble

Does it turn over, is it seized up? If so you'll have to tear it down and check for damage to the bearings and such. If it does turn over then try putting oil in it and see if it makes noises that it shouldn't. Just my .02 good luck.

stoneman

had that happen with an old simplicity right after i brought it home. pulled the plug and poured oil in. let it set a few days and got it to turn by hand. flushed it with diesel fuel, filled the crank case, got lucky and used the thing for about 4 years and the guy i sold it to 5 years ago is still using it . . . :D good luck.

nwh1-0475

He filled it oil and put the dipstick back in it. It starts and runs, just seems to be lacking on power. If I flush it with diesel, do I start it or just let it sit overnight or what. I haven't ever do this before. :D Thanks.

W9JAB

I would check compression, you might have a valve

hung up!

KC9KAS

If you put diesel or kerosene in the crank-case, DON'T START IT....just turn it over by hand, and drain it, and do it again checking the drained fluid for any metal pieces. Put clean oil in it, run it to operating temps and drain & refill oil again. This will clean out the crank case and give you the opportunity to see if there is any metal pieces moving around in there.

TT

The first thing you need to do is find out exactly what ENGINE it is. (and tell us)

I'm guessing that it's probably a Kohler Command twin. :D

The second thing would be to quit trying to run it until you can open it up and have a look inside. If it's "down on power", it probably started to smear the connecting rod(s) and/or other internals.

"I ran it without oil" stories seldom have happy endings. :USA: