Sign in to follow this  
HunterdonNJ

c121 auto no reverse

HunterdonNJ

Hey oh wise and ....... I'm off my knees now.

Redid tractor, filled rear with new oil and replaced filter. Worked fine for first mowing. Went to back out of garage and no reverse. Rear was a qrt low, no leak, from I guess an air bubble that must of gave me a false reading. Still no reverse. What should be my next step?

Thanks,

Jonas

HunterdonNJ

Well after all this time with just a weak reverse I finally lost forward. It worked fine until I was done mowing and going to put it away when it just acted like reverse, very little power. So needless to say I'm tearing it down tonight and going to see if a new pump and valve will do the trick. Used of course but it will give me time to tear into mine to see what went wrong. If there was a newer hydro 314 to 520 in the area for sale I would of bought it just to make this a winter job and not one that needs to be done in a week :thumbs:

I'll keep you filled in,

Jonas

HunterdonNJ

Why would WH put a screen inside the transaxle? Once I took my transmission off the transaxle I seen at the bottom of the transaxle laid a screen. It seems that it was suppose to be in the bottom hole of the transmission but had broken off at some point. Either way it is now a discontinued item so once I get the gaskets and seals I'll try it without it floating around in the bottom of the the rear. I'll take some pic's so you can see what I'm talking about.

JimD

HunterdonNJ, I have never owned a hydro unit, so I can't really help you, but I do want to say I'm dismayed that your post has gone unanswered for over two months. Surely someone who knows about these transmissions could have responded with some advice. :thumbs:

HunterdonNJ

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about. WH calls it a stainer as it is a screen that has a magnet on the end to help. As you can see the end cap came off the strainer let it break free and just float around. It goes in the bottom hole the transaxle.

strainer.jpg

rickv1957

Surely somebody has a junk tranny with a spare filter screen,Rick

HunterdonNJ

Well, as an update I can say the c121 is back in action. I replaced the pump and valve along with new seals and gaskets and without the strainer. New filter and oil and I was good to go. I'll wait till winter to tear down the old pump and valve to see what went wrong if anything besided the floating strainer.

A buddy felt sorry for me mowing my 2 acres by push mower while I was waiting for parts and dropped off a Sears tractor for me to use. It had the 20hp vertical motor that more power then it would ever need. Felt like I had my legs rapped around a 50 gal drum and the mower deck did not have one single roller in the front so getting to close to a tree root would sit you in the seat as it would stop the tractor instantly. I don't like the hydro lever next to you in the seat so I guess I'll stay with my older, stronger and educational wheel horses :thumbs:

Jonas

rickv1957

so I guess I'll stay with my older, stronger and educational wheel horses :USA:

Jonas

Thats great your up and going! :) Rick

Brrly1

Well all I can say if your hydraulic pump fails you'll know why. That filter is to protect your hydraulic system, pump, hyd. valve, etc;. There is also a magnet on the end of that filter that will attract all small pieces of metal or whatever else might be going thru your system. Heres to wishing you luck. I think I would replace that filter or strainer. Could be costly if you don't. See Ya, Bye

Burly :)

:USA: