Sign in to follow this  
Raider12

Mower Deck Por-15 or Power Coat???

Raider12

I know this subject has been hashed out here before on what products to use on our mower decks to preserve them from decay. (I looked in old files no luck) Seven (7) years ago I rebuilt my mower deck. I had the shell blasted and then powder coated. Iv been asked many times how is it holding up. I could not honestly say how well the under side held up because I never (in 7 years) took the deck of and actaully scrubed the underside. I have power washed while jacked up, but never removed the deck and scrubed the bottom to see how the powder coat has survived. Until now. I was amazed at how great it still looks after 7 years of living hell under a mower deck. Here are some pics to show what it still looks like.

This deck assembly is about 16 year old.

(Moderator.. if this topic is better suited in a different area please move.)

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

This is better than a Timex.... It takes a beating and keeps on ticking.....

rmaynard

And there is a good testimonial for powder coating.

Just for our information, what did it cost to have it powder coated seven years ago, and do you think it was cost effective? Looks like it may need a bit of touch-up at this point.

Do you plan to just paint it or are you going to have it re-coated?

Bob

Raider12

And there is a good testimonial for powder coating.

Just for our information, what did it cost to have it powder coated seven years ago, and do you think it was cost effective? Looks like it may need a bit of touch-up at this point.

Do you plan to just paint it or are you going to have it re-coated?

Bob

If I remember correctly, the cost back then was $25 to blast it the shell and pieces that go with the shell. Power coating was I think..... $75 or $85. So I think it was a good investment. The shell and all the parts attached are powder coated inside and out. No paint on this at all.

In order to "touch" up this shell with powder coating, it would have be blasted again. So I will probably use by small spot blaster on the rough spots and use paint for the summer and do a complete tear down this coming winter (burrrr).

geoff

Since I am accustomed to working with POR products with car restorations (current project: frame off resto for my '68 Impala, using POR for the frame), my vote would be POR-15. I've been wanting to paint the under side of my deck for my 312-8...I just haven't gotten around to it.

POR is expensive but also worth the investment if applied properly. I recommend brushing it on by hand and making sure there are no drips. I've never sprayed with POR, but I've heard some horror stories. It adheres to EVERYTHING and doesn't wash off.

Good luck! :D

Raider12

Since I am accustomed to working with POR products with car restorations (current project: frame off resto for my '68 Impala, using POR for the frame), my vote would be POR-15. I've been wanting to paint the under side of my deck for my 312-8...I just haven't gotten around to it.

I have heard of very good things about Por-15. Does anyone have a tried and true example of how well it will hold up on the underside of the mower deck?

I wanted to share these photo for eveyone to see how well the powder coating has held up for 7 years now.

If anyone has used por-15 and has results Im sure everyone would benifit from them. :D

rickv1957

Looks like the powder coat has held up very well!,Rick

Kelly

About 4 years ago I refurbished a tractor for my parents christmas present, and sent it to Texas for them, I blasted the deck and coated it with POR 15 two coats applied with a foam brush, goes on smooth, it is very sandy where they live and my Dad said in a year the POR 15 was gone, but the deck still looks like new being blasted every time they mow, they eat up 2 sets of blades a year but they also mow about 9 months a year.

rjr

I recently restored the 42" SD deck from my C-101 using West Systems epoxy on the bottom. It was just a "why not" idea of mine. Has anybody tried a 2 part epoxy? Interesting note. A customer service guy at West Systems I consulted suggest pouring iron filings on top of the epoxy before it sets upto add wear resistance. I didn't but I may wish I had.

tarcoleo

Have applied a two-part epoxy (Petit) mixed with rotten stone (a fine powder made from

ground mineral) using a little lacquer thinner solvent. This mix brushed on easily to

the underpart of my 48" deck. So far this season its doing well, but its early. More

later.

Tom in RI

Don1977

Raider 12 how much area do you mow, and do you have any gravel drive ways that you mow. I mow around 300 ft. of gravel drive and three acres. I have primed and painted the deck a over couple of times but in two or three months it's all sand blasted out.

Raider12

Raider 12 how much area do you mow, and do you have any gravel drive ways that you mow. I mow around 300 ft. of gravel drive and three acres. I have primed and painted the deck a over couple of times but in two or three months it's all sand blasted out.

I have 1 acre of land with a ranch on it. So I mow say aprox 5/8 maybe 3/4 of an acre? Twice a week sometimes in tyhe spring and less in the fall? Something like that.