Sign in to follow this  
Duff

1989 312-8 resto project

Duff

Hi, folks,

I'm a newbie to this forum and, for that matter, to Wheel Horse tractors. I inherited a '89 312-8 in fair condition and upon discovering how darn well built these rigs are decided to restore it. Anyway, in reassembling everything I lost some of my notes. :thumbs:

I've got the PTO activating lever reassembled and it works, but it seems like there should be a spring to hold the PTO "disengaged", in other words against the brake shoe on the drive pulley. The engagement is a positive lock-up, but when I disengage it, the pulley sort of "floats" between the brake and the clutch face. Can someone tell me where, if, and how to put in a spring to hold the PTO disengaged? I've pored over the exploded parts diagram from Wheel Horse with good results for everything but this problem. :thumbs:

Thanks much!

TT

There's a spring that hooks to the clutch lever arm rod inside the hood stand. (under the battery area.)

I can't see it on any of the IPL's either, so let me go see if I can find one I have torn apart so I can get a picture. :thumbs:

T-Mo

Deereman,

:thumbs: Since you are restoring this beast and if you're that far along, it's only natural that :thumbs: .

nylyon

Welcome to RedSquare. The spring attaches to the cotter pin on the rod then to the hole in the front of the battery box. If Terry can't find a picture I may be able to get one on my 416. Again :thumbs:

TT

We've got pictures.... :thumbs:

As Coach Karl stated, there is a cotter pin through the clutch rod. The spring hooks into the eye of the cotter pin on one end and to the underside of the corner of the "L" shaped drive belt guard bracket that bolts below the battery.

The cotter pin in the rod:

PTOspring001.jpg

General location of the spring:

PTOspring007.jpg

Front attachment point of the spring:

PTOspring009.jpg

Duff

Ah! The cotter pin on the rod! For repainting I had taken this cotter pin out and then forgot I had removed it and what had attached to it! :thumbs:

Many, many, many thanks, and photos of my beast will follow. I'm new to this posting thing, so I've got to explore how to use Photobucket.

Only about 2 more feet of snow to melt around here and I may be able to "road test" this unit. (No, guys, I'm not a wussy, I just don't have either a plow or snowblower [yet], and the mower deck is next up for restoration).

Cheers, and you guys are terrific!

Deereman :thumbs:

nylyon

Now, about the name Deereman.... This tractor isn't pained green is it? :thumbs:

Craig Arndt

You guys are awesome. I am so glad I found this thread. I've been using rope for my 416 since the restoration this past summer. I couldn't figure out how to hook up the spring, so I did the rope thing which is a huge pain.

The spring will go back in this weekend. Thanks! :thumbs:

Stigian

:D Deereman :thumbs:

You inherited a fine machine, these 312-8's are great workhorses :thumbs:

Duff

Many, many thanks to Tricycle Terry - with the pix the spring went in slick - took all of two minutes! It can be done without removing the rod - just takes some patience.

And nylyon, my friend - she's bright red, as only a WH should be! :thumbs: My Deere's are green...but now with envy as the old WH comes back to life!

Thanks guys!

Craig Arndt

I did mine this past weekend. I takes no time at all to remove the battery, cowl and cover with volt/hr. meter and get the cotter pin in. I spent a total of 1/2 hour doing it. Got the spring in place, got the string I was using the keep the pto lever from tripping otta there and now its original.

So much better. Thanks! :thumbs:

TT

Just part of the "Brotherhood", I guess. :thumbs:

Glad we could help you fellows out. :thumbs:

T-Mo

Deereman, Craig,

Congratulations to the both of you for getting your PTO lever spring :thumbs: in place and working. And Deereman I have a couple of green tractors also. :thumbs:

glenn27

Welcome also-- to the Brotherhood--as they say-------

Lots of knowledge around-as for me---I've forgotten or misplaced something and then felt really dumb when I saw one--and it was so obvious!! :thumbs:

C-Ya!!!