Sign in to follow this  
wse100

Just learning about wheelhorse

wse100

I just bought a little wheelhorse gt1142 "Workhorse" and I am trying to figure it out. It runs great but did not come with a mower deck so I am wondering what deck / s would work. Also it has a quick attach adapter under it, and I was wondering if i could put a small tiller on it? it came with a plow and it attaches to little clips on the rear axel and under the tractor.

I really like it so far it seems to be built really well, and alot bigger than what I had before (Simplicity).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you for your time.

Charles

South Bend IN. USA

Rollerman

Charles good to see another local with a Horse on Red Square.

Your tractor will except any of the latter style quick attach deck from about 1972 up.

I'd stay with a 36" deck if you mow the grass tall...if you keep up on it a 42" will work too.

You should be able to pull a tiller behind the 11HP B&S in your tractor if you take it slow.

You will need the rear lift hitch & all the related parts that go with it too besides your rear axle bracket....check this thread.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1663

Thats another member in the South Bend area who is setting his tractor up to pull a garden plow.

Also if you find a tiller make sure it has the idler pullies that hang under the engine in the mid mount to run the belt back.

nylyon

Charles, first Welcome to RedSquare. Most any deck built for the GT series tractors (C-Series, 300, 400 and 500) will fit onto your Wheel Horse except for the large 60" and the 37" (I believe). The tiller mounts to the same bracket which your plow mounts to, but will require a rear lift cable to raise the tiller.

Again :thumbs:

Rollerman

Good call on the 37" twin blade deck Karl...they require smaller tires in front for clearance.

But cut great!

combatmp29r

I'm impressed Karl :thumbs: Soon you will know as much as TT :thumbs: :D

nylyon

How do you think I learn this stuff!

T-Mo

Charles,

:thumbs: I really can't add to what Karl, Joel, and Stephen have already said. Decks should be readily available, tillers might be a little harder to find, for a good price. But they're out there. Again, welcome to the site.

TT

Well..... you guys knew I'd be here sometime, right? :P

Charles, :P

You have purchased a very versatile tractor that you can be proud of owning.

I have owned three of them (so far :P ) and they were originally intended for use with a 42" side discharge deck. (hence the name -- "GT" for garden tractor, "11" for the horsepower, and "42" for the width of cut) I used a 48" dozer blade on one and never had an issue (except in the blizzard of '94 :D )

They were intended to compete with some of the "big box store" units and sold for less than a similar-sized Kohler-powered Wheel Horse of the same period.

Their "high point" is the fact that they are built on the platform of a mixture of the early 80's C series tractors crossed with the new sheetmetal design of the 1985 & newer 300 & 400 series, so most every implement or attachment designed for those models will interchange. (with the exception of the previously mentioned few.)

Their low point is the engine. In most applications, a Briggs & Stratton can be one of the most dependable, low maintenence engines you'll find. In this particular application, the over-center bail engagement principal used to operate the PTO clutch on many Wheel Horse models turned out to be a "murderer" to this engine. The model 252417 Briggs crankshaft is not equipped with ball or roller bearings and runs only on a cushion of oil on the surface of the aluminum engine block. When the PTO clutch is engaged, the pressure forces the crankshaft in to the bearing journal on the flywheel side of the block, causing poor oil delivery and a potential seized crankshaft. (not always, but often. :D )

To counteract this pressure, a steel plate was installed against the outside of the crankcase cover and the back side of the tractor drive pulley was machined to accept a ball bearing to ride against the plate to help absorb some of the thrust.

If this plate/bearing arrangement is properly maintained, there shouldn't be problems. There is actually a tool that is to be used to set the thrust on the bearing, but you can accomplish the same job by pulling outward on the crankshaft while pushing the drive pulley in against the plate and tightening the set screws.

I don't know how much work you can or want to get in to, but this might be good "life insurance" for your engine .......

You can also make your own thrust bearing pre-load tool by using a piece of 1 1/4" pipe about 3" long, some 3/8" fender washers, and a 3/8" - 24 bolt about 2" to 2 1/2" long. Remove the entire PTO clutch assembly - including the friction plate.

Loosen the set screws in the engine pulley and slip the piece of pipe over the end of the crankshaft until it bottoms against the pulley. Place a few flat washers on the bolt and screw it in to the hole in the end of the crankshaft. Tighten the bolt until it is "snug" and retighten the pulley set screws. Remove the bolt/washers/pipe and reinstall the PTO clutch assembly. That's it. :thumbs:

You must also be sure to use nothing but non-detergent oil in this engine - 30 weight in the summer, and 10w-30 in the winter. (Frequent changes are also recommended -- like every 20 hours of operation.)

Sorry for the book, but I know these particular creatures well. If I ever get a chance to find another one in decent condition, one WILL live here again. :thumbs:

T-Mo

That's a lot to absorb - good info. TT, you should write the book on Wheel Horses. :thumbs:

Rollerman

That's a lot to absorb - good info. TT, you should write the book on Wheel Horses.

You know TT...JD Terry is on to something there...I'd buy one as long as you include your fancy MS Paint pics. :thumbs:

wse100

Wow thank you all for the welcome and advice. I plan to do as wh1056 instructed, I just want to make sure that I understand him before I begin. tickster since you are from the area do you have any suggestions as to where I can find some of these attachments? Maybe a few bone yards you are familiar with?

Again than you for your time, and have a great day!

Charles

PetesPonies

so which lift hitch could/would be used with a 702 ?? I saw where someone made a hydraulic 3 point lift, pretty cool. But what would be the correct lift for a 702?

Rollerman

tickster since you are from the area do you have any suggestions as to where I can find some of these attachments? Maybe a few bone yards you are familiar with?

Charles ebay is alwaysa good place to look.

Hang around here long enough & I'm sure one will turn up.

I may have a 42 also...but can't be certain yet.

If your familiar with SR23 going south off the bypass there is a lawn & garden bone yard down there......Michiana Equip?

Might check with them?

Watch your classifieds, craigslist, & local auction lists too. :thumbs:

Sparky

I had a GT-1142 Charles and it was a great tractor. Wish I had'nt sold it now but I know where it is and if the new owner gets fed up with it I'll be sure and git it back.

My only complaint about it was the aluminum Briggs made the front end light compared to a cast iron Kohler tractor. If you find the front wheels coming off the ground to often you might want to consider some weight up front.

Mike.....

PS....and I know that some of you guys just LOVE it when the front wheels come off the ground :thumbs:

wse100

ok, so I found a b 115 really close to my house at a reasonable price, and it has a 36inch mower deck. Will it work on my gt1142? I was told that my tractor could take b or c series 300 or 400 mower decks.

Just need advice before I go and buy it.

Thanks for your time,

Charles

TT

No, Charles...... it will not work.

The B-60, B-80 & B-100 are the only three models that would have a deck that would fit your GT. They are garden tractors with horizontal shaft engines -- the B-115 is a vertical shaft lawn tractor.

wse100

well i'll just keep looking! I didn't get to see the tractor (B115) but a friend of mine told me about it and got the info for me. Can you believe I have called every mower shop / scrap yard in two counties and no one has one to fit it? I would think because I live so close to south bend that there would be a better chance of finding one.

Thank you for your time,

Charles

Kelly

TT, you missed one the B-60 anyway Charles I have a 42" side discharge deck very nice I'd probably sell I'm in MI about a hour and half north of Ft wayne right on I-69 send me a PM if you are interested Kelly

TT

Oops.... I did miss that one, Kelly. :thumbs:

I edited the post -- and am claiming yet another screw-up. :thumbs:

wse100

Yeah I'm interested! I sent you a p.m. / thanks a bunch!

Woo/ HOO

Looks like I'm selling my simplicity boys!

wse100

First of all I want to say thank you to everyone that has helped by offering advice and valuable information :thumbs: I have really benefited from your insight!

I found an old 42 inch mower deck / and a snowblower for my gt 1142 I paid $125 for both, And I got tire chains with the deal!

I don't know what year they are but the mower deck looks like one that TT has in the pictures of implements (69?) :D The snowblower is ready to go, but the mower deck will need sandblasted & some paint! When i was looking at the mower deck i could not find a grease zert on the middle blade spindle? I found the two on the sides but the middle one stumped me. did i just miss it? How do you grease the middle bearing?

Also what all can i attach to this tractor (That will work?) I see people with old style plows, and cultivators....Will my tractor pull that? I just wondered.

Thanks again I can really say you all have made me feel welcome :thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

Good to hear your Wheel Horse is getting geared up. Just like Barbie Dolls :thumbs: the implements are where you can really get out of control!

Not all decks had greasable spindles. But often times of a spindle were replaced it would be replaced with the other type.

My guess is your deck had the middle spindle replaced.

You could put some light weight oil around the shaft and let it soak down.

They mostly use "shielded" bearings which means they are not intended to be serviced. But, if you want to disassemble the spindle you can pop of the sheild (if there is one) and lubricate it with lithium grease.

Most if not all of these spindles are re-buildables, and in many cases with standard parts readily available.

Have fun :thumbs:

willy victor

WSE100 these tractors will also take a rear discharge deck. I have an 83 GT1142 with a 42in. side discharge deck. It's basically the same tractor as the WH except for the engine and the color. Still running after many years of service, it does burn oil though, always garage kept. Hang around here and the guys will give you the straight dope on your machine.

Willy