papaglide

Facts about the Toro Wheel Horse 520H

papaglide

Hello everyone. Well the bug has bit! I sold another Cub (127) and might buy a Toro Wheel Horse 520H but I need to know the background to this tractor. Some questions:

- is it a quality Wheel Horse capable of ground engaging work?

- is the 20 horse Onan something to be leery of getting involved with?

For $400 I might be buying a non oil burning or leaking tractor with a 48" non rusty deck. It was cutting grass when first saw it. Everything works on it. It just has a bunch of surface rust on the tin. That's an easy fix to me.

Bottom line: Is this a REAL garden tractor or is it a riding mower?

I am leaning toward the garden tractor answer but am afraid of the Toro on the hood...

Thanks,

Mike

stevebo

The 520 is a very strong garden tractor. It has a lot of power and other than the D series and one or 2 other models the 520 is the big boy made by wheel horse. For $400 you better go get it before anyone else does. A good 48 inch deck is worth close to that alone. Good luck-

nylyon

Depending on the year, the 520 could have a 60" deck. Regardless of the year, a 520 was top of the line Garden Tractor for that year. For what ever reason, my dealer talked me out of the 520 when I bought my 416, go figure!

HankB

- is it a quality Wheel Horse capable of ground engaging work?

Yes, the engine and trans will handle ground engaging implements with ease. Heck, my 314-H will do that and the 520H has more horses and weight. (It's a very similar design.)

- is the 20 horse Onan something to be leery of getting involved with?

I've heard replacement parts can be expensive and that the 520H has a tendency toward electrical problems. Despite this, there are very popular among Wheel Horse fanatics.

Bottom line: Is this a REAL garden tractor or is it a riding mower?

I am leaning toward the garden tractor answer but am afraid of the Toro on the hood...

They are arguably one of the last Toro/Wheel Horse garden tractors. The 520Xi (?) followed it and is also highly regarded but I'm not sure it's as sturdy as the 3/4/5xx series.

$400 is a smoking deal for one that is sound! Don't hesitate on that one!

Raider12

I absolutely LOVE my 520. And I would love to have another to add to collection. Where is this one located at Mike? I'll buy it and use it this summer and let you know what you missed out on. LOL.

All kinding aside, as long as it has not been abused, I think you will be very happy with the 520. It is far more than a lawn mower.

papaglide

You guys are a great help.

As a matter of fact the tractor is at a local Kubota dealer. They were a Wheel Horse dealer back in the day and now they are a Kubota/Toro dealer. They have all of the micro fiche for the wheel horses, heck they printed out an exploded parts view of my GT 14 for me.

They wanted $500 for the 500H but I offered $400 and they said its a deal. They are even going to put a new seat on for me. I am planning on picking it up next Friday. I will post picks for sure. The dealer used it for cutting the grass around the lot.

They had a nice, mint 314-8 for sale for $900 also. The salesman wanted to show me the nice "D series with a bucket and 3 point" for $750. We walked around and around and we couldn't find it.....somebody finally came out of the office and said that they just sold it. It had only been on the lot for 2 days!!!

Anyone in the market for a Cub Cadet 1862?

whfan74

Mike.............

Sounds like you stumbled in to a good deal and just missed out on one heck of a deal. If I were you I would hang around that dealership more often...........

Raider12

The salesman wanted to show me the nice "D series with a bucket and 3 point" for $750.

WOW! That was one super good deal there. It's probably a good thing I don't have a dealer with those deals close by. I have a feeling the horses and I would sleeping under the same roof.

Fiddlestix

Wow... $400 for a running 520H? That's just deluxe!

Since they were a dealer you have some confidence the electrical issues may be minimized. Not necessarily perfect, but runnable and all there.

You should be greatly pleased with the mechanical aspect and performance of the machine... for whatever reason these 520's seem to get ALL of that 20 horsepower to the work. Most others seem to lose a lot getting power to the work... like all those shaft drive and gear box fanatics.

Since you saw it run, the big issues to be wary of are the electrical gremlins. Nothing that cannot be overcome with some time and using all the resources here at Red Square.

Congrats and good luck! :D

rickv1957

Sounds like a good buy on a 520 at 400.00!,Rick

papaglide

Thanks guys for the confidence to buy this thing. It comes with a 48" sd deck. Am I right to think that all 300 and 400 attachments will fit this? Or is this a one off model and only attachment made for it will fit?

TT

With a few exceptions, most of the attachments made for the "normal" 1973 & newer garden tractors will work on a 520.

WheelHorse_of_course

Congrats on a great find.

There is only one drawback - this will be a thirsty tractor. That is only one reasson for having a variety of horse for different tasks :USA:

Cheers

:wh: :D

Operator

OH Boy are you going to enjoy that tractor! I can pull an 8" plow with no problem.

Tiller , no problem :USA:

Randy

Remember the pictures :D

Shuboxlover

- this will be a thirsty tractor.

I have had my 520-HC for about a month now, I have seen several people mention that it is thirsty. I suppose that if you compare the time that this engine is running, compared to other engines, I guess you could say it drinks a lot......BUT.......when I can get my mowing done in OVER half the time, I guess it is probably a wash when I look at fuel consumption VS. duty performed.

long story short.....

Drinks a lot.....but gets my mowing done VERY VERY quickly.

even Steven in my book

mavfreak

:D :USA: 520 $400 :wh:

hodge

If you got a good running, sound 520, from a DEALERSHIP, for $400, then the $900 314 must be in excellent shape. Sure wish that I had a dealership like that around here- they must not search on Ebay much...

papaglide

If you got a good running, sound 520, from a DEALERSHIP, for $400, then the $900 314 must be in excellent shape. Sure wish that I had a dealership like that around here- they must not search on Ebay much...

The 314 was a real good looker and was ready to go. The 520 has a lot of surface rust and looks kind of beat.

I got a decent deal on it because I countered his offer of $500 with $400. Then the quote was "your a good customer , I'll take $400."

wh500special

Then the quote was "you're a good customer , I'll take $400."

And that, my friends, is why you should build a relationship with your local :D dealer.

Keep getting your filters, spark plugs, and belts from that guy!

Steve

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

The 520 is a very strong garden tractor. It has a lot of power and other than the D series and one or 2 other models the 520 is the big boy made by wheel horse. For $400 you better go get it before anyone else does. A good 48 inch deck is worth close to that alone. Good luck-

Hi I found on line some front axles spindles for a 520H. Can anyone tell me if they would fit a 1973 D-180 front axle?

Looking everywhere to find some !!!

Thanks,

Jack

pfrederi

I am almost sure they will not if you are talking the 1" spindles

...have to look out in the shop tomorrow

Edited by pfrederi

pfrederi

If the 520 spindle you are looking at is 112765 it is very different from a D series spindle.  On the 520  the arm the tie rod bolts to is completely flat.  The D series has a big offset bend in it.  i will try to take a picture tomorrow,

StWeiler

Better give me the address to go "check it out" for you and make sure it's a solid machine!!!!!!  

bmsgaffer

Better give me the address to go "check it out" for you and make sure it's a solid machine!!!!!!  

This is a nearly 4 year old thread...

546cowboy

The last one my local dealer had sold for $1500 last year. Dealers are notoriously high. if that one says Toro on the hood it is a 1990 or later. Personally the lowest price I ever paid for one was $500 and I went and got as fast as possible. It was forty miles away from me. It was about four years ago when I got that one, so I guess I'm right in line with this reply.

Edited by 546cowboy