Sign in to follow this  
firemart

Seafoam or Mechanic?

firemart

I have a guy telling me to Seafoam my carb to remedy my full-choke-only running engine. I'm not a believer in "snake oil", but, I am intimidated with taking on the carb. cleaning on my own. How good is this Seafoam stuff?

tranders

I'm a firm believer in a Seafoam.

rickv1957

Seafoam is a good product that I use but a dirty plugged up carb needs disassembled, soaked and cleaned correctly,do it right and it will be a one time job,Rick

stevasaurus

Firemart, Seafoam is great in the oil...trans...gas. It probably is good on pizza. :omg: Do not be intimidated with the carb though..there is only maybe 3 adjustment screws that once the holes are clean, they get gently bottomed out and backed out usually 1 1/2 turns...some differ on the amount they are turned out...but a minor adjustment after that. A ton easier then finding that electrical thingy you just went through. :D

Butch

Berryman B-12 Chemtool best carb cleaner I've used. And it's cheap!!

Butch

firemart

Hey Butch, I looked at the Berryman stuff today. As you all know, I am not comfortable with the carb. work. If I use the Berryman, do I just dip the carb. in?

WheelHorse_of_course

Firemart,

You might want to check the main throttle shaft for side to side play. Grab the throttle shaft at the top of the carb and see if it can move side to side in the hole.

If so, you may want to consider a carb rebuild instead of justr a cleaning.

Look in the links section there is a guy there that can do this for you and has a lot of experience. Sadly he will take a while (he is that good) , but he may have a rebuilt unit he can send you as long as you can send him your "core".

:D :omg:

buckeye

You could try Startron enzyme fuel treatment. i heard from another member that it's better than seafoam. I think it's available at TSC , but haven't looked yet.

abrown0920

seafoam is good stuff.

Tearing a carb apart is easy. Find some manuals on-line and have at it. I like to use a white towel when I take everything apart so I don't lose any pieces. there really isn't much to them and rebuild kits are cheap.

firemart

Firemart,

You might want to check the main throttle shaft for side to side play. Grab the throttle shaft at the top of the carb and see if it can move side to side in the hole.

If so, you may want to consider a carb rebuild instead of justr a cleaning.

Look in the links section there is a guy there that can do this for you and has a lot of experience. Sadly he will take a while (he is that good) , but he may have a rebuilt unit he can send you as long as you can send him your "core".

:D:omg:

Yep, side to side. :D NO crank today, too. Depressing, to say the least. This cannot become a money pit. We are on the Dave Ramsey program, and this is beginning to add up.

Butch

Hey Butch, I looked at the Berryman stuff today. As you all know, I am not comfortable with the carb. work. If I use the Berryman, do I just dip the carb. in?

Yeah you can dip it or spray it. The carbs on these tractors are pretty simple. I just took a Holley 4150 750 cfm doubler pumper apart!! It was beyond repair! Had to drop $400 for a rebuilt one. As long as the carb is small and only has a few parts then I'll play with them. I count how many turns I make with a part before it comes out so I know how to put it back together. Instead of writing the turns down I'll associate the number of turns with a date or something else only to have forgotten which date to use when I put it back together!!!

Go for it. If something goes wrong the people here will help you with it.

Butch

S. Jersey

KC9KAS

I used SEAFOAM on a 1978 Honda GL1000 that was rough running at idle and at highway speeds.

The SEAFOAM made it run much better, and the mpg went from 33 to 41!

HankB

Seafoam is pretty good. I put some in our push mower yesterday. It had been so long since it was used that the gas had evaporated from the tank. That's a bad sign because the gas evaporates in the carb and leaves behind gummy deposits. I sloshed an ounce or two in the tank and refilled with gas.

It was a while before I even got any fuel in the priming bulb. Then I found it would start after being primed, run a couple seconds and die. I finally tied the handle brake up so I could reach the engine and keep pumping the priming bulb to keep it running. (Safety Note: Do not stick fingers under deck while mower is running!)

Finally it stayed running without further intervention and I mowed the front yard w/out difficulty.

My suggestion is give some Seafoam in the tank a shot. If it doesn't solve the problem today, see if things are better after soaking overnight. If things aren't too badly gummed up, that might be enough. If not, don't be afraid to pull the carb and give it a better cleaning.

Good luck!

WheelHorse_of_course

Firemart,

Don't worry TOO much about the throttle shaft. In the long termit would be best to deal with that but many of us have not gotten that "round tuit" yet.

Go ahead and try some sea foam. Most auto parts stores carry it and it is not expensive. Good stuff to have around.

That reminds me, I need to put some in my Cushman I am fixing up. It is running but will not idle smoothly. Time to put some Sea Foam in it and see what happens. That has a monster of a complicated carb on it.

Best of luck. :D :omg:

junkman

seafoam is good stuff. i would try it. :D

mavfreak

I tried seafoam and may others products. I still have to run with chock on. A dirty carb is a dirty carb. I will use the seafoam to soak the carb in before reassembly but I don't think its a fix all. Good luck. by the way I spent about half the cost of the rebuild kit on " fix all" and still have the problem

dieselhorse

With the additives in todays fuel, just running Seafoam thru the gas at this point will not remedy the problem. If your running on choke to keep her going, then the carb needs to come off the engine, get soaked in the Berryman stuff(we use it at the shop I work at), the I take a fine piece of wire and poke thru every jet, blow them clear wtih carb cleaner, then properly reassemble the carb, replacing any parts that might be suspect. But I dont throw a rebuild kit at the carb if it doesnt need it. If its an older Kohler/Carter carb, a good cleaning, making sure the float is set correctly and then dialing it in once you have the tractor restarted is all you need to do. Sounds like a lot, but its really not. If you dont have the repair manual for your model engine, get one as this gives you a step by step proceedure to go thru the carb, with pics to assist you. There really isnt much to these carbs, compared to say an automobile carb with the acclerator pump and many more parts. If you have a digital cam, take pics of how all the linkages go before you remove them. I deal with so many carbs at the shop, I can clean them in my sleep. Good Luck. Mike T

hodge

I can relate to being intimidated by something. Kudos to you for being honest about that. You do need to take the carb off and properly clean it- spraying treatments won't do it. I do believe in Seafoam- this just isn't within its purveyance.

So, seeing that it needs to come off and come apart, do you know someone who is inclined to this kind of thing, and will help you? No doubt, if you could watch a buddy do it a time or two, you will be able to do it the next time.

I Love, love, love mechanical things. But, I let them psych me out sometimes. I have a close friend that can fix anything, so I let him teach me. Then, I own that experience, and can move forward after that. Not only am I much more capable than I used to be, but these confidences enable me to tackle new things without needing him looking over my shoulder. I just always know that he is a cell phone call away to get me out of trouble.

Buzz

I don't know if anyone noticed the starting date of this post but firemart sold the tractor on May 9th. Still it was a nice discussion on Seafoam........ :D

Save Old Iron

I don't know if anyone noticed the starting date of this post but firemart sold the tractor on May 9th.

Seems like only yesterday ................

hodge

HA HA! My wife is right- I never listen! (Or read).

hoppy

like Nike................just do it. it trully is the only way to learn. when you pull it apart you will see that there really is not much to these old bowl carbs. take it apart and put pictures up here and we can walk you through it. its simple!!

mavfreak

:D um...

Buzz

like Nike................just do it. it trully is the only way to learn. when you pull it apart you will see that there really is not much to these old bowl carbs. take it apart and put pictures up here and we can walk you through it. its simple!!

Uh Hoppy.......... Did you read my previous post? :D

"I don't know if anyone noticed the starting date of this post but firemart sold the tractor on May 9th. Still it was a nice discussion on Seafoam........ "

Any how here's the continuing saga of the C-120 (with a happy ending) :USA:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=18928

hoppy

i guess i missed that one! LOL my bad.

maybe somebody else with carb issues might just read this!!?? :D