Sign in to follow this  
km3h

Wheel Horse 18 Automatic

km3h

First post on this forum. I need some information on this tractor. Can someone direct me to where I can get the manuals for it. I will be picking it up on Sunday. Runs good but is rough around the edges. I will be restoring it.

Nick

stevebo

Nick,

Where are you from? Did you get it on ebay in NJ ??

rickv1957

Hello and :omg: Rick

km3h

Nick,

Where are you from? Did you get it on ebay in NJ ??

No, I placed an add in Craigslist to trade old tractors for a working JD. I had two of them to trade. I already picked up an MTD 18 995, an older Craftsman GT18 with 3speeds plus 2 speed axle and a case 220. Now someone wants to trade for a Wheel Horse 18 Magnum. Not sure I should make the trade. the JD is an LX188 and would bring anywhere from $700 to $1,000. but then I like the Wheel Horse brand and I am told that this is one big hoss. Has 3 point and deck but no other attachments. I am having second thoughts and would like to examine the owners manual and such to help me make a decision. I already have a Wheel Horse 417A with snow blower. :omg:

Any Suggestions?

Nick

rickv1957

The 18 auto is a big tractor,a 73 model,one of the first D-series tractors,they are a very neat machine with lots of power,parts and attachments are harder to come by than the smaller tractors but I like them well even though they can be a bit clumsey,Rick

stevebo

I personally would not use my auto 18 for mowing duty or any light duty chores. I got mine for the loader it has with it. If you are looking for a mowing tractor to use around the house for cutting and maybe snow removal I would stick to a 3,4 or 500 series wheelhorse like you already have. Good luck-

km3h

No I would not use it to cut grass either. I like playing with these things and making them look new again. I use a lowly little Craftsman with a bagger to cut grass. It does a great job. Right now I am restoring a 73 Ford LGT165. Down to the bare frame, Will start painting it next week and then the fun of reassembly begins. Has 3 point hitch, power takeoffs front and rear. It will probably never cut grass either. Don't like to get them dirty after all that work.

Nick

km3h

I personally would not use my auto 18 for mowing duty or any light duty chores. I got mine for the loader it has with it. If you are looking for a mowing tractor to use around the house for cutting and maybe snow removal I would stick to a 3,4 or 500 series wheelhorse like you already have. Good luck-

Now I remember who you are. I recognized your avatar. I have seen that add many times in my search for something. those are nice 3 points you build.

Nick

Roger from southern Iowa

If I put a deck under my 18Auto it wouldn't know what to do.

It is my lifting, loading, grading machine and it never complains.

They are kind of big and bulky,but I can't imagine not having a D around. :omg:

JimD

:omg:

km3h

I am thinking of all the money I will be spending for a loader for that 18 Auto If I get it. Maybe I should walk away now while I still have a few bucks left in the bank.

Nick