Sign in to follow this  
truckin88

blade removal help!!!!

truckin88

I have 2 RD decks, and can not get the blades to budge help....any tricks trying to remove blades?

Tim

pb blaster and an impact gun

rickv1957

If they are the later decks with the 1-1/8" nuts,an impact will do the job,Rick

porkchop

:omg: Make sure you put a wrench on the back side of the blade or you will unscrew the nut on the top of the spindle. I use a big set of channel locks.

truckin88

5 days of PB Blaster, and a long 1 1/8" tow ball wrench they to not budge and I and stopping the blade with a block of wood.

Tim

the impact gun will do the trick

i think its because the impacts brak up the rust

give it a shot you won't be dissapointed

KC9KAS

Careful....a fellow in my town said his son just got 19 stitches after the wrench slipped off the nut while re-installing a sharpened blade!

Tim

Yes!!

KyBlue

You can also Smack the head of the bolt with a hammer a time or two...maybe with a bit of pressure from a wrench (trying to loosen it)

stevebo

Will,

On the collar of the spindle you need to put a pipe wrench and have someone hold it for you while you get a good socket or wrench and hit it with the hammer. If that does not work, go see your buddy that changed the 2 year old shocks in your Dodge and give him a few bucks to hit it with a good impact gun. If you plan on using the electric one in the future then buy it. Good luck-

can whlvr

i have a pipe that i put on the wrench,ive had to cut off the nuts even when an impact wrench woulnt work,when i get new blades i ALWAYS get new nuts,they always seem to get messed up and next time u will not get them off,just my 2 cents.

Audioshot

Impact gun. Throw the deck in the back of your truck and bring it to an auto shop. Those electric guns are just alright, but the pneumatic guns spin that nut off so fast you will be amazed.

mavfreak

Be careful If using an impact gun. Mine will bust bolts if you don't turn down the air. 850lbs in reverse torque with 90lbs of air

I used to work on a lot of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I really needed the big gun. I got the biggest foot lb air gun snap on had in half inch drive at the time. It is good if you remember to turn the pressure down but nice when you have a blot that pisses you off. Just turn it up and bust it off :omg:

tarcoleo

I agree with Audioshot. Pneumatic impact wrench at a local garage

rescued me. Also, you can simulate what an impact wrench does by

repeatedly hammering on a socket wrench handle and with patience

that will work. It did for me on a second deck with the same problem.

Tom in RI

Save Old Iron

Will,

grab the gun and a set of deep well impact sockets.

I have that gun, its going on 3 years old and its never leaves my bench.

So far, its never failed on anything I have attempted to do with garden tractors or auto repairs. It's 240ft lbs and will not shear bolts off, but it does hold its own when you start cursing a stuck nut on a garden tractor.

If you truly need the master blaster

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=94108

bring in a 20% off coupon and grab this one for less than $90.

tarcoleo

When you put it back together, be sure to apply

anti-seize lubricant to the threads so as to avoid

the problem next time.

Tom in RI :omg:

Wilsonrl48747

I use a 1 1/8 deep socket on the nut and then I bought a cheap 1 1/8 end wrench at Harbor Freight for about $5 to hold the nut behind the blade. I had to grind it down a little thinner for the end wrench to fit between the blade and the spindle, but it works great. A nice cheater bar on your socket wrench will help with the stubborn ones. Ditto on the anti-seize lubricant when putting them back on.

tophatbufflo

Try a carbon arc rod in a batter charger- it is supposed to heat it up like using a torch but no flame. Good luck :omg:

Wilsonrl48747

Tophat,

Can you elaborate a little more about how to use the carbon arc rod and a battery charger to heat something up? How do you hook it up to make it work? I have a stubborn deck pulley that is not coming off and would like to try using this technique.

Audioshot

I think I know what tophatbufflo is talking about. I've seen those. Pretty interesting. It focuses intense heat on a specific area. It's not an arc though. More of a heating element surrounded by ceramic insulators. Snap-on or Matco tool sells them.

Impact gun is still the best answer. Anti-seize is the solution in the future.