Sign in to follow this  
Trouty56

Coil on D series

Trouty56

Have a look at this picture (not very good, taken with my phone) of the coil on my D180. You can see the resin is melting out the side. It actually dripped on the engine. I figure on buying a new one. What caused this? Just age?? I guess it is 35 years old. Hopefully this is not the result of another problem. The engine runs good but smokes like heck. I am working on pulling the engine and replacing the rings. I saw a post by TT some time ago about a Harley coil and saved the ebay page.

23673_111363795560791_100000615138338_137052_6430560_n.jpg

rickv1957

Bob,have lots of Ds,cant say I ever seen a coil do that unless it is shorting and getting hot or the case is cracking :omg: ,Rick

Trouty56

Rick, I was hoping you'd say "This occurs when......." and then tell me what was wrong. Haha. Oh well, maybe somebody else has seen this happen.

Thanks Rick.

algrc120man

is that an onan if it is ihave seen the voltage regulator go bad and send to much to the coil not sure why the coil was affected in this way. the engine was on a pump on a fire engine not a :omg: may check your voltage if thats not it make sure there isnt a ground wire problem or the points arent out causing to much resistance or maybe it just gave up due to age :D

Save Old Iron

The resin you see seeping out of the coil may in fact be polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)

check out this website for some cautions as you clean up the spills and dispose of the coil - its nasty stuff - carcinogenic

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts17.html#top

Trouty56

This is a Kohler 482 engine. I checked the voltage at the battery a couple times over the winter. I had an ignition switch go out. It was a little over 14 volts. I figured this was ok...maybe not. The points and condenser are getting replaced in the refresh I am getting ready to start.

Chuck, thanks for the warning. I read the website you provided. I never gave it much thought because I don't fish much or eat that many fish caught here in the state but there has been warnings about the PCB's in the trout and other fish that are taken as sport.