Sign in to follow this  
HorseBreaker

Ransomes Rider 61

HorseBreaker

Hi Guys:

I know it goes against the grain a bit not to be talking about Wheel Horses but I recently aquired a Ransomes Rider 61 with a blown 16hp Briggs & Stratton engine, (horizontal crank)

Does anyone know of a diesel engine that will take the place of the Briggs.

I was thinking of using a 3 cylinder D600 Kubota which I think is about 14hp, but being diesel I think it would be powerful enough, the problem is that the engine turns the opposite way to the Briggs which turns clockwise when looking at the flywheel.

The flywheel end of the engine drives the Hydrostat & the other end drives the Cutting Deck, this would not be reversable.

I think the engine needs to be between 10hp & 20hp.

Can anyone help?

rustbucket

look into the single cylinder diesles that carol steam engine sells. if i recall they rotate the right way and all.

wh500special

I'm not sure how helpful I can really be, but here goes anyway...

I have a Cub Cadet 1512 diesel tractor that has a D600 Kubota. CC calls this engine a 15hp, but even with a 50" deck it seems to have plenty of grunt left even when mowing deep grass.

In this tractor, the flywheel end of the engine is coupled by a shaft to the hydro pump and the opposite - fan end - has an electric PTO clutch which drives the deck. From what I have seen of the D600's, D662's, etc there are a myriad of options for coupling to either end of the engine. For your application, you might encounter a situation where you might need to machine an adapter to couple to the Ransomes' existing hardware.

My point is, you CAN drive from either/Both ends of the engine. The biggest problem might be trying to accomodate the radiator, fan, and other sundries that hang off the side of the diesel and still maintain the packaging envelope of the original air cooled Briggs.

You might be able to find OEM adapter stubshafts, mounting feet, etc. To facilitate the swap. Other than repair parts, Kubota tractor dealers don't really support the other aspects of the engines. I don't recall the website info anymore, but you might need to search for kubotaindustrial applications.

Good luck!

Steve

Edit: http://www.kubotaengine.com/index.html This might point you to parts sources, distributors, etc.

HorseBreaker

Hi Streve: Thanks for your reply, you have obviously given this a lot of thought, my problem is that because the engine is in the back of the Ransomes driving onto the front axle the engine needs to go in with the flywheel facing forward towards the driven axle & the radiator at the back, which mean that the engine needs to turn clockwise when viewed from the flywheel end, am I right in thinking that the Kubota like most other engines turns the opposite way?

Regards

Bob