Sign in to follow this  
KeithB

oil for pulling motors?

KeithB

I been using straight 30 weight Cenpeco racing oil in my Kohlers.

i wonder why one could not use 20/50 racing oil?

Why straight 30?

Deere Hunter

I always ran straight 30 in my stockers, that never turned over 4000rpm. But on my buddies K-series he runs 0w-20 mobil1. Of course That motor is turning 8000. Now in my Kohler Command I use 5w-30 XPR Royal Purple.

As far as using straight 30. That's what these motors were designed to run with from the factory. But when you get to changing clearances in the engine and modifing them, guess you use what works :omg:

KeithB

mine are stockers so guess i stay with the 30 wt racing oil

mavfreak

my understandin of oil is that the heat is what changes the viscosty. So if your engine doesn't make it to the heat range to get to the higher viscosty then you may risk damage to the engine. Also the tighter the engine tolaraces determanes what weight to run. A full tilt pulling engine could get away with a lighter weight oil apposed to a stock engine with some age to it. Also I feel that to thick of an oil can put drag on interal parts witch can reduse power, maybe not be noticable but still what ever can give you an edge thats one reson I am a beliver of sinthetic oils after engines a broke in.

Just my thoughts if any of it matters :omg:

rustbucket

in my old cast iorn briggs engine on my alis puller im running the royal purple oil and my dad is going to do the same for his lawn ranger pulling tractor project.

KeithB

in my old cast iorn briggs engine on my alis puller im running the royal purple oil and my dad is going to do the same for his lawn ranger pulling tractor project.

I heard royal purple is good oil