KeithB

Capacity of 8 speed

KeithB

i know i read it here, searched and not finding

A fully drained 8 speed holds 2 quarts?

Thanks

TT

That's correct. :omg:

i have an 8 speed in an older tractor. i plugged the dipstick tude hole. i fill up to side fill port like a 3 speed. is this wrong? i pretty sure it aint holding 2 quarts. jimmy

TT

The first 6 speeds (model # 5060) had a close nipple / connector sleeve / square-headed pipe plug threaded into the rear corner hole to raise the oil level measurement.

If you don't understand, I can get a picture later.

terry, i think i know what your describing. an extension tube that screws into the side fill port. i would really appreciate a pic if you have time. i can pull the tool box off and fill it to 2 quarts. just hope i havent damaged it. since your here, what is the capacity of an old 3 speed? thanks, jimmy

TT

The 3 speeds are real close to two quarts. I always make sure they're level and fill them until the oil is about 3/8" below the top of the hole on the older ones. (so it doesn't squeeze out when installing the plug) A few of the newer ones have dipsticks, so they're a little easier to get filled to the correct level.

Honestly - I never really keep track of exactly how much oil I put in them. :omg:

TT

terry, i think i know what your describing. an extension tube that screws into the side fill port. i would really appreciate a pic if you have time.

tranzfiller010.jpg

thanks terry. that helped alot. i have these sleeve and and no worries now. thank you. jimmy