Sign in to follow this  
grnlark

656 - good or bad?

grnlark

I'm picking up this 656 Saturday from a friend. I know that the overall concensus is not great regarding the Tech motors. I think I'm getting it for a good price. It runs, drives and mows. I'm not real interested in keeping I don't think. I was actually thinking about letting my friend Brian drive it around at the show in June with a for sale sign. Any thoughts in general on these machines? I know close to nothing about them.

Attached Image

post-3-1270687154.jpg

grnlark

pic 2

Attached Image

post-3-1270687201.jpg

WH nut

Put a Kohler on it then you have something

rickv1957

Looks like a pretty straight original tractor,the tecumseh HH60 is a good heavy cast iron motor,Rick

Indy w h

Well the tucky engines are a little short on guts I think

meaning there a little sluggish and don't have the low

end torque like a kohler. But it looks decent that's

just my .02

Indy

Kelly

If it runs good it looks to be a nice tractor, I have one in good shape and when it's running right I love it :D but that is not very often :omg: I plan to put a Kohler in mine from a beat up 857 I have :D .

BPjunk

I ain't never had any problems working a 6 hp Tecumseh.

Ifn's I need more then 6 horse power then I ain't got it in the right gear ! :omg:

Wild Bill

Buzz

I'd keep it just for the nifty seat........... :omg:

Coadster32

You can dial a tecumseh motor in pretty good usually. Clean the tamk, put an in-line fuel filter in it, THEN clean the carb. I find they run pretty well.

stevebo

I had a very nice straight 655 with deck that I could not get more than $115 after listing twice on ebay. I ended up giving it to my brother in law. I am not a fan of the tecky motors either. I have turned over a new leaf.... selective buying... :omg:

Michael Bullington

These are great little tractors...I have a 655 that works just as good as a kohler...so dont let everyone discourage you the kohler theroy....I agree with wild Bill...Heres mine

Picture.jpg

oh is that another Tecumseh behind it :omg:

daemon2525

Yup, that is Exactly the tractor that I am looking for....

Except I am going to cram in the biggest Kohler that will fit under the hood! LOL

sorekiwi

Looks like a nice straight old horse, I'd grab it and keep it.

For some reason I seem to have transitioned away from roundhoods, and towards the mid 60's square hoods.

I'm about to re-enter "Tecumseh Hell" again this summer, as I have a couple to get going. It seems to me that some people have the knack with Tecumsehs, and when they run right they love them. I would really like to learn the secret.

We'll see....

TheUnknownCat

Heck, Tecumseh's are easy. Loan 'em to a friend, who will invariably run it low on oil, who will return it filled with oil, and not mention the incident -and then your Tecumseh will throw it's rod at the most inopportune time -then you can put in a Kohler or a Briggs.

The trick to whether they'll run right or not is that sealed metering rod in the carb, if someone has cranked in (whichever. it's late, and I ain't gonna look it up,) carb adjustment screw, and bent the metering rod, they don't run so well.

A Tecumseh carb should have a nice little rattle when you shake it -the sound of the metering rod moving freely, (don't let the float rattle.) If it doesn't rattle it doesn't run right, and then it should be promptly drained of it's oil and run at the highest attainable RPM until it fixes itself.

:omg:

VinsRJ

Heck, Tecumseh's are easy. Loan 'em to a friend, who will invariably run it low on oil, who will return it filled with oil, and not mention the incident -and then your Tecumseh will throw it's rod at the most inopportune time -then you can put in a Kohler or a Briggs.

The trick to whether they'll run right or not is that sealed metering rod in the carb, if someone has cranked in (whichever. it's late, and I ain't gonna look it up,) carb adjustment screw, and bent the metering rod, they don't run so well.

A Tecumseh carb should have a nice little rattle when you shake it -the sound of the metering rod moving freely, (don't let the float rattle.) If it doesn't rattle it doesn't run right, and then it should be promptly drained of it's oil and run at the highest attainable RPM until it fixes itself.

:D

Don't hold back, please tell us how you really feel. :omg:

stevebo

It is very easy to get a Kohler to run good.... just add gas and start it! :omg:

Kelly

I would love to know how to make a tucky run right, I have a 603 that will keep the tucky and a few others that have good engines just never seem to run as good as the kohlers I have.

stevasaurus

I love the Techy's, (keep you thinking), I just don't like the pull starts. :omg:

earlleecliffton

i got an 856 with 10 hp tucky with electronic ignition. after having the carb off 3 times it runs pretty sweet now

Doubletrouble

My HH80 runs pretty well. I've never owned a kohler so I can't compare. I know over the winter my tecky started every time I needed it to with no starting fluid. She does have a little valve train noise but keeps chuggin along.

wheelhorse551

I have a suburban 551 with a 5.5 lauson/tecumseh that i just rebuilt and it runs great. :D Need to get a starter and paint my deck up. :omg: