Sign in to follow this  
522xi

522xi Tranny Oil Change

522xi

I have a 2002 522xi with the Eaton11 2 speed Unidrive Hydro transaxel and it calls for either 10W30 or 10W40 Detergent Oil. I'm planning to switch to full synthetic on an upcoming tranny oil/filter change (my 1st one). My question - is there any drawback to using a full synthetic and what harm could be had by using a non-detergent oil? I don't believe the synthetic is classified as a detergent oil. I plan on using Mobil 1 10W30 and already have the OEM WH transaxel filter.

Thx's

stevasaurus

First... :D I read and reread your post...4 times. My question...a 2002 year, they had synthetic oil but still recommend the 10w30/10w40 oil. You can't go wrong with what is recommended. Still if you are going to go syn on the first change, why don't you ask your Toro dealer for their opinion. (if you trust them). I would at least ask the "pros". :omg:

dgoyette

The only drawbacks are price and possible leaks if the seals are not in good condition. Synthetic oil flows easier and can appear to "cause" leaks because it can get though worn seals where conventional oils may not be able to. I would doubt it would be an issue in your 2002.

I doubt you would find a synthetic without cleaning agents added. I believe they all are detergent oils.

Good luck!

522xi

First... :D I read and reread your post...4 times. My question...a 2002 year, they had synthetic oil but still recommend the 10w30/10w40 oil. You can't go wrong with what is recommended. Still if you are going to go syn on the first change, why don't you ask your Toro dealer for their opinion. (if you trust them). I would at least ask the "pros". :omg:

Thanks for the welcome! Been lurking for a long time and only posted once before. Anyway...I should have been more specific. It's MY first tranny oil change since I bought it used last year with 165 hours on it. I now have about 218 hours and noticed during the heat of the summer that my temp gauge would get to about the 1/4 - 1/3 range on my meter. I figured that the synthetic would resist the heat better than the dino oil would.

The tractor itself was very well maintained by the PO and is in excellent condition. The oil that is in there now looks to be in good condition (color and viscosity) and has no burnt smell to it at all. Are the seals in these Eaton trannys know to leak? From what I've read in my travels, these trannys are fairly bullet proof and reliable. I did ask my Toro dealer about switching to synthetic oil in the tranny and he said it should be fine. The manual calls for a tranny oil and filter change at the 200 hour mark which is why I am going to change it out.

Your responses are appreciated. :D