Sign in to follow this  
ron2681

SB-421?

ron2681

Just got a new addition lastnite. Its an SB-421 8 speed. anyone ever heard of one of those. Ive never heard of or seen one before. :omg:

rmaynard

Let's see some pictures if you got 'em. :omg:

Bob

Sparky

Your new tractor is a 1982, model# 01-11BH01. It was built using the leftover sheetmetal from the 70's series tractors and did not match the current 1981 tractors which were the Black Hoods at that time.

I think its sort of rare.

Mike........

ron2681

Is it a good tractor?

Sparky

Is it a good tractor?

Sure. Its just a "C" series tractor which are good machines. It still has a Uni-Drive tranny with hi/low. I think it has the 4 pinion tranny with 1" axles so its not the best candidate for the tractor pulling scene but it will mow/till/plowsnow forever with a tranny fluid change every now and then.

It will accept any attachment from the Attach-a-Matic era (1973 to present) so if you have any decks, plows,or whatever for your C series stuff it will fit right up to your new tractor as well.

The Briggs 11hp motor is probably its weakest link as they didnt seem to have the same lifespan on a Wheel Horse as the same tractor with a Kohler but if its running good now it could still have a long life ahead of it with good maintenance.

Mike.........

ron2681

Thank you very much for the input! I cant wait to start tearing down and cleaning up.

golfmike304

:woohoo: Ron, I too have an SB-421, I haven't got to do much to it yet. I did find that there is a member that has a full set of decals for the SB-421. They are 45.00 and look really nice. I plan to get a set when I get ready to paint. I will attach a link to his website so you can check it out. I have added a picture of my SB-421 the day I brought it home.

Would like to see your horse when you get it done.

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.redoyourhorse.com/servlet/the-1...dsh-486-/Detail

Attached Image

post-3-1309708806.jpg

zieg72

You learn something new everyday and at 11:03 today I met my quota for the day...

mavfreak

You learn something new everyday and at 11:03 today I met my quota for the day...

I'll help you to up your quota for today

There was several of these left over parts tractors form '81 and 82. SB-371, SB421, and SK-..6(not sure of the numbers)

SB stands for briggs

SK stands for Kholer

the SB 371 had a 4 speed 11 horse briggs

the SB 421 had a 8 speed 11 horse briggs

the SK ..6 had a 8 speed 16 horse kholer

Now I'm not 100% sure this info is accurate but is close if I'm wrong someone please chime in and correct it!

DrabHorse

^^ SK-486 is the model number mavfreak was trying to think of. I wouldn't mind having of them or the SB-421 or SB-371. I think they are different because you don't see too many and the model numbers are different sounding compared to wheel horses other models.

Good luck with it, Let's see some pics !

stevasaurus

I too have learned something... :woohoo: It is hard to tell from the picture...is this horse considered a long or a short frame???

gwgdog66

I too have learned something... :woohoo: It is hard to tell from the picture...is this horse considered a long or a short frame???

Looks like a long frame from here.

MikesRJ

The was made only one year, 1982, as model number 01-11BH01.

SPECIFICATION DATA:

Model Number.......01-11BH01

Serial #...........None - None

Model Year.........1982

Product Name.......SB-421 8-Speed Garden Tractor

Product Brand......Wheel Horse

Product Type.......Riding Products

Product Series.....Garden Tractor, 3/4/500, C, GT

Swath..............Deck Optional

Discharge..........Deck Optional

Engine/Motor Manufacturer......Briggs & Stratton

Engine/Motor Model #...........252417-0245-01

Engine/Motor Size#.............11 hp

Engine/Motor Type..............4 Cycle

Engine Starter.................Electric

Transmission Manufacturer......Wheel Horse

Transmission Model #...........5086

Transmission Speed.............8 Speed

Transmission Type..............Gear

APPLICABLE MANUALS:

Operator Manual.......810287R1.......28 Pgs.

Parts Catalog.......810290R1.......56 Pgs.

Toro/Lawn-Boy Quality of Cut Manual.......492-4763 Rev.......57 Pgs.

Wheel Horse 6 & 8-Speed Mechanical Transmission.......492-4004.......56 Pgs.

Wheel Horse Electrical Service Manual.......492-4207.......49 Pgs.

RECOMMENDED ACCESSORIES:

Model/Part#.....Description

05-36MR01.......36" Rear Discharge Mower (Current Model Available: 05-36MR05/78305 Original Model Supersedes To: 05-36MR03)

05-36MS01.......36" Side Discharge Mower (N.L.A. Original Model Supersedes To: 05-36MS02)

05-42MR01.......42" Rear Discharge Mower (Current Model Available: 15-42RC02/78350 Original Model Supersedes To: 05-42MR02)

05-42MS02.......42" Side Discharge Mower (Current Model Available: 15-42SC03/78345 Original Model Supersedes To: 05-42MS03)

06-42BC02.......42" Snow/Dozer Blade (Current Model Available: 06-48BC03/79364 (79364 requires Adapter Kit 105-1501. Current blade is 48" wide.)

06-42ST02.......42" Snowthrower (Current Model Available: 06-42ST07/79362 Original Model Supersedes To: 06-42ST04)

07-01MC01.......Front Mower Carrier (Requires Side Discharge 42" or 48" Mower. N.L.A. Original Model Supersedes To: 79380)

07-05DC01.......5.5 cu. ft. Dump Cart (N.L.A.)

07-10DC02.......10 cu. ft. Dump Cart (N.L.A.)

07-10IP01.......Garden Implement System (Requires 85515 Type "A" Clevis Hitch. N.L.A.)

zieg72

I'll help you to up your quota for today

There was several of these left over parts tractors form '81 and 82. SB-371, SB421, and SK-..6(not sure of the numbers)

SB stands for briggs

SK stands for Kholer

the SB 371 had a 4 speed 11 horse briggs

the SB 421 had a 8 speed 11 horse briggs

the SK ..6 had a 8 speed 16 horse kholer

Now I'm not 100% sure this info is accurate but is close if I'm wrong someone please chime in and correct it!

Information overload... :woohoo: I never knew those models were in the line up back then. I always liked the oddballs, especially the 1045...

mavfreak

I like the odd ball stuff and have been keeping an eye out for any one of these!

BOWTIE

HELLO, I HAVE A 1982 SK-486 I BOUGHT NEW WITH A 42" SIDE DISCHARGE FOR $2100 OUT THE DOOR. IT CAME FROM SHARE TRACTOR CENTER IN COLUMBUS,OHIO. THEY ARE OUT OF BUSINESS NOW. IT'S BEEN A GREAT TRACTOR. I WOULD POST PICTURES BUT JUST NEVER FIGURED OUT. THANKS BRENT IN OHIO

Larry55

I just bought a SB421 also own a C120 and a C125. The C120 I do a little pulling at local fair. Trying to learn more and possibly find pictures of the SB421. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Kelly

Welcome to RS, and for pictures look in the gallery, what info are you looking for??

refracman

Heres a little more info for the over load, although not set in stone but the numbers were also for the deck that it was suppose to sell with it.

SB 371 37" deck Briggs 11hp

SB 421 42" deck Briggs 11hp

SK 486 48" deck Kohler 16hp

Not real rare around here I've seen a few of each

can whlvr

i could have bought one e few years ago but the tractor (sb421 )was in horrible shape,which doesnt scare me but he wanted a 1000 bucks,i told him 50 bucks and healmost threw me off the property,he thought he had a real rare tractor,not a 1000 dollars rare though

Larry55

Thanks to everyone for the info on SB421 ! My wife likes to research and she found quite a bit for me. RJ58 your reply really helped,Thanks again.

This forum is really helpfull. Looking forward to any other problems and solutions. Got this one for $3oo . My C120 came with snowblower, which I put on the C125 . I will have to try later to post some pics. My C120 that I pull with I had a friend airbrush Flames on one hood but still have origanal hood. The C120 I gave $400 for and the C125 my Dad had so I got it for $200. Looking forward to talking to everyone later.