Sparky

Axle seal replacing

nylyon

That stinks Mike. Wished I were closer, wouldn't mind getting in there and helping out.

kpinnc

This one has motor oil in it Kevin, so it shouldn't wash out as quick as it would with ATF.

Sorry Mike, and Terry. Both my Sundstrands use ATF, and I have a bad habit of keeping it on the brain, so to speak.

I keep forgetting most post 74-75 year model trannies used motor oil. I know the tranny repair manual says you can use it in the older trannies as well, but just warns not to mix the two.

Sorry again for running down the wrong road with this.

Kevin

Sparky

Allright guys, thanks for the input. The bearings seem to be still available so I'll be talkin to my WH Dealer tomorrow about gittin me a pair. I suppose as long as I'm up to my elbows in the tranny might as well swap out anything I can. I dont have any plans to "unload" this one so I might as well do it all.

This really sucks as my new D-160 decals came today and I was gettin all pumped up to start gettin it ready for new paint and decals.

Mike..........

kj4kicks

Better now than after it was all prettied up !!

glenn27

Following this thread w/ interest...

Good luck on ur tear-down...

refracman

Mike , if you have a Timkin bearing dealer around the bearings will be half the price, I go this route when getting bearings when I rebuilt my GT trans' it was about $50 for all 7 bearings and seals apeice. If you decide to go this route I;ll post the #s.

Also if you feel that spliting the case is too much you can install the bearing without spliting the case, by just driving the old bearing into the case, the O.D. mating suface for the bearing is approx. 1 3/4" and the bearing is 1 1/4". So the old bearing will still be captured by the case. I ve heard of this being done with no adverse effects.

But like TT said spliting the case is really no big deal if you can the hubs off. Pay close attention to the center shaft bearings as these are the ones most prone to wear along with the thrust bushing on it.

Good luck

Kaleb c120
On 3/10/2008 at 6:55 AM, glenn27 said:

I just replaced the R/R axle seal on my C-120 yesterday--leaving the axle intact--there's really not enough room to get in there to drill a hole in the seal for a screw, and second--there's not enough metal surface to even drill... :thumbs:

That seal number is also the same one for my tractor---

Luckily/ very , very luckily!! --after cleaning up the shaft good--I finally got the old seal out by prying w/ a small screwdiver where the tip was already bent. and tapping on it w/ a small hammer.. Apply a light film of grease on the shaft--slide the seal up on it. I didn't have a deep-well socket that big @home to knock the seal all way in--but a piece of 1-3/8" pipe and a hammer drove it right on home. Will pick up a new half-moon key- way today (old one was mushroomed where set screw goes)--clean up hub and paint. By middle of week--will have tranny refilled/filter changed and back in action!!

Next time I'll buy an extra seal--fits everything here.... :thumbs:

C-Ya!!

would you be able to let me know what the seal number is and where you got it? i have to do an axel seal today on my 1978 c120

JimSraj

Just as a little extra insurance, once you’ve cleaned up the edges, you might want to put a wrap of thin tape over the key slot before sliding the new seal over it. 

• Like 1