Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

big block Kohlers

Kelly

Ok I've heard of big base and small base 10hp kohlers but I guess I never knew what was ment by it till today, I visted Perry yesterday (about 4 hours wish I had longer nice guy) and I got a oil pan from him for a cub 10hp shallow thinking it might be the same as the pans on the 1045,1055 and 1075 ( and yes it looks the same execpt the drain plug is in the bottom but has bosses for the side plugs so can be drilled and taped.) but this pan is sqaure I put it next to a 12hp pan and it is not even close, so my question's are when did they stop using the small base blocks? and did they ever make larger hp blocks with the small base? I know 65 has the small base and my 68 electro has the large base but is a 12hp.

TT

Kelly, are you talking about all "earless" blocks with different sized sumps, or do you mean blocks with and without pan mounting "ears"? :thumbs:

TT

Here's the only two block base styles that I know of: :dunno:

The "earless":
noears.jpg

And the "eared":
ears.jpg

Kelly

I'm going to have too say yes the ones you put pics of.

TT

That's what I thought you meant, but I wasn't sure.

Both of those block styles were made in 10, 12, 14, & 16 hp. (I think all of the K-361 OHV engines had the ears on the block, but I'm not sure of that.)

Kelly

So I could find a 16hp with out the ears, and make a hybrid lets say 1653 or something like that? I'd like to try to put a big block in a round hood with the small pan like on the 1055's I'd like to see if it fit's with out any hood mods. any one know before I try? I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, by far.

TT

I had a K-301 from a Ford LGT-120 sitting on my 753 frame last fall. The Ford engine had the lower sump with the deeper center drop. (It fit between the frame rails of the 753 though.) It was not the flat sump like the Cub Cadet engines though.

It was VERY CLOSE to fitting if the spark plug would not have been there, but still needed about 1 1/2 inches. :dunno: A hood scoop "bubble" would have solved the problem.

The guy I bought my second 701 from was doing that to a 633 (low sump K-241) and had to raise his hood.

09d697cb.jpg

You'd also have to move the engine back some, (you can see John's 633 drive belt guard is cut out) redesign the air cleaner to stick out the side somehow (like a GT-14 maybe?) or cut a hole in the grille for a filtered velocity stack to poke through.

Kelly

I like that tractor, It's cool looking. After learning about the differnt blocks I went browsing ebay and found this duel bolt pattern block k361 Item number: 260219013231 Dang I'm still learning something almost every day here, some things big some not so big, but still learning.

TT

He did a full front axle/spindle flip on the 633. :thumbs:

I did an engine for a John Deere that was like that. The smaller oil pan bolted to the block base, and the two "ears" bolted to the engine mounting brackets.

kpinnc

Hey Terry,

Aren't the heads from a twin Kohler KT-17 and -19 the same bolt pattern as a single K? They have spark plug holes mounted from the side as opposed to totally vertical. Would save you an inch or two maybe? :thumbs:

Whether it would run or not? I have no idea....

Kevin

TT

:thumbs: Good question, Kevin....

I've only ever been around two KT-17's but never had them apart.

Somebody here should know that answer though. :thumbs:

kpinnc

I've always wondered about that. Planned a few (Ha-PLANNED) mods myself with a big Kohler.

Kevin

Kelly

No the heads from a KT are a diff. bolt patern, bummer. that would have been nice. This is one of those I'd like to do but...... you know, time, money and way too many tractors projects, work and a yard, house projects, ect.......... maybe some day. But I did learn about the blocks.

perry

hey kelly. i had the 10hp and that oil pan bolted up to a 856 last year. i think i only had 2 bolts in it. i have CRS sydrome right now.

i do know that the air cleaner was the only thing in the way of the hood. once i removed the air cleanr the hood shut fine. i quickly moved on to another project thou.

mess with that pan i gave ya and see how it lines up.

that engine came out of a 1964 springfield tractor that was later bought out by toro in 1965.

Kelly

Perry so far it looks like it's going to work. not sure what I'm doing with it yet, so many ideas.

Curmudgeon

I could be wrong, but wasn't both styles of blocks made for many years? The block style was dependent upon the oil pan style asked for by the customer. Just look in any big block Kohler parts manual, there will be several oil pans listed under different spec numbers, along with the blocks to fit.