Sign in to follow this  
Skook

Opinions on 244 H, Please

Skook

Hello,

I am going to see and drive a Toro Wheel Horse 244 H tomorrow. It has a 38" mowing deck. Based upon the one picture and brief description that I saw on CL, it appears to be in great shape. The owner is asking $650.

Any opinions on this model to serve as a basic yard tractor are appreciated. Also, is there anything in particular that I should look for, ask about or be concerned with?

Alternatively, my dad's neighbor is selling a Cub Cadet (MTD) 2155 for $500. I am not sure of its condition yet. Which of these two tractors would you rather own for basic yard duty?

Does anyone know what a 244 H sold for when new?

Thanks.

stevebo

IMO I do not get excited about the 200 series as they are verticle shaft and not a garden tractor rather a lawn mower. If you are only looking to mow your lawn that is fine. If you are looking to spend $650 you can find a nice 300 or 400 series. I would not be willing to pay more than $200 tops for a 200 series. Patience in the process and you will find a nice tractor. Good luck with whatever you decide.

rickv1957

Steve is right about a 200 series,you can find a good 300 series tractor for that kind of money,Rick

rickv1957

By the way :omg: Rick

Roger from southern Iowa

I agree, the WH is overpriced.

:omg:

d200

:omg:

Skook

Thanks for the welcome. Based upon the advice received here, I decided to pass on the 244 H. I also looked at a Cub Cadet 2000 Series for $500. It had 1,074 hours and wheel weights. I figured it probably lived a pretty tough life, probably moving snow too, and so I'm going to pass on that as well. The seller (not the original owner) only owned it for a year or so.

The 244 H doesn't have an hour meter from what I've been told, and so it would be difficult to guage whether its expected useful life has expired.

I'll keep looking. Any advice is appreciated. Mowing season will soon be upon me!

Docwheelhorse

Skook where are you located....????

Tony

Skook

Schuylkill County, PA. Hence, the name "Skook".

wh500special

I think $650 is probably a bit much for that Wheel Horse, but I wouldn't sell it as short as most guys here might be willing to do.

Sure, it has just about ZERO collector potential. So resale later on down the line won't play to a large audience. But given that it probably was in the $2700 neighborhood when new (I'm guessing based off of prices for older/newer comparables), the $650 asking price probably isn't that far off the mark.

Although it is a vertical shaft tractor, this particular example falls in the "240-Series" of Yard tractor and NOT in either of the 200-Series offerings.

The frame in the 240 is surprisingly stout and is nearly as hefty as that used in the B/C/300/400/500 series. The 14 hp Onan in that tractor is a great engine. The 38" deck is a wonderful cutter. There is no center "hump" to fight when climbing on and off. The turning radius is tight. The long wheel base rides smoothly. Everything about them is pretty user friendly.

They were actually called a "Yard Tractor" in the marketing literature. You can't pull a plow or disc a garden, but the transaxle in them is probably on par with the lightweight Eaton 700 used in many other WH applications. I'm under the impression that some of the implements from the later 260 series will fit (thrower and tiller). But, of course, none of the true garden tractor implements from the bigger tractors will work with it.

I wouldn't pay that asking price, and I'm glad that you didn't either. But if you don't have gardening on your list of chores to accomplish with your tractor I think you might be pleasantly surpised at how nice the 240 series really is.

Steve

truckin88

they are an eaton 700 series tranny, very good cutter, if it came with a snowblower and bagger, I would pick it up for $600-700, otherwise accessories can be a pain to find. I had one, do not sell them short, they are very easy to maintain and work on, and use!

But I do agree and 310-312 same price is a better investment

johnnymag3

There is a 244 here in Upstate NY for sale, price is 375.00, tractor is in nice shape, and its a one owner....just offering this up for price comparison. very clean tractor too. If your not mowing acres of lawn, make them an offer, provided you are not looking for a collectable.

Good Luck, and certainly get a red machine, not a yellow and white......or GREEN !!

;) All in good fun.......

jOHN       

T-Mo
2 minutes ago, johnnymag3 said:

There is a 244 here in Upstate NY for sale, price is 375.00, tractor is in nice shape, and its a one owner....just offering this up for price comparison. very clean tractor too. If your not mowing acres of lawn, make them an offer, provided you are not looking for a collectable.

Good Luck, and certainly get a red machine, not a yellow and white......or GREEN !!

;) All in good fun.......

jOHN       

You're over 8 years behind - this thread first started and was last discussed in March, 2010.

johnnymag3

Sorry, was browsing in some free time, never looked at the date !!!

Silly Me

T-Mo

I understand.