Sparky

Sloppy "D" steering

Sparky

Anyone know the procedure for gittin some of the slop out of a "D"s steering. I remember reading about pullin a pin and tightening up a nut but cant remember where I read it, or where the pin and nut are.

Mike.........

TT

I can't give you the specifics, Mike -- other than don't over-tighten the adjuster cap. :thumbs:

Here's a drawing to show the location on the end of the steering box:

05r20014.jpg

Brrly1

Hello Terry I believe this turns counter-clock wise and not suppose to turn more than a half turn at a time. I was also told that while you are turning this nut that you are suppose to rotate the wheel back and forthin the area of the sloppy ness. This is what I was told so don't quote me maybe somebody else can also help out here. John

TT

I'm not too sure on which way to turn it, John -- but I would imagine it needs to be turned up in to the gearbox farther so it takes the play out of the bearings. Maybe it has L.H. threads ?

You are definitely correct about wiggling the steering wheel back and forth too -- a guy at the alignment shop helped me do an old Ford truck box and told me to do that so the bearings wouldn't bind as I adjusted it.

kj4kicks

You probably won't be able to get all of the play out. if you make it snug in the "center" (where the most wear occurs), then the outer areas will be very tight.

$.02

Sparky

Well I did it. Pulled the pin and moved it (adjuster cap) less than a quarter turn and put the pin back.It didnt seem to want to go farther than that and I didnt want to overtighten it. Its better but still sloppy. While on my back under the "D" I noticed ALL the steering stuff is kinda loose or worn so I'll heat up the garage and tighten each piece this afternoon.

Thanks for the replies guys.......Mike.......

bowtieguy

Did you turn it clockwise or CC?...got to tighten up my D-160 before grass starts growing in MO....I also noticed someone tried to ajust the "toe"...or is it "tow"..lol can I assume the both wheels should tow "in" just a little for it to steer correctly.

Sparky

I went clockwise. As far as toe-in I have no idea but I would think you would just adjust it to be straight and not pull either left or right. Any kind of toe-in would probably just tear up yer grass. I mean we're only goin 6mph, not like a car that hits high speeds so it just needs to be close.

Mike........

.5racer

Wheel Horse book 803646R1 states

1. Set steering gear on center by counting exact number of turns of the steering wheel . Stop wheel in the center of travel.

2. With the gear centered adjust the draglink to 18" center to center.

3. With the gear centered and the bell crank set as in step 2 adjust tie rods as required to set wheels straight ahead with a small amount of toe-in (1/16- 1/8 " )

4. Turn steering all the way in both directions to see if the steering spindle arms are equally spaced from thier respective axle stops.

• Like 1

Dburnsnavy

Anyone know where you can get steering box parts?

Trouty56

I think Jon Dear still has parts for the ross steering box....maybe....

pacer

This Cub site has the parts - they fit the horse - almost at the bottom on the page.

http://ihccw.com/steering.html

Dburnsnavy

Thanks