Sign in to follow this  
876wheelhorse

856 whining rear end

876wheelhorse

i have a 856 and i belive the rear end is whining. how do i check the fluid in and what do i put in there? the belt was slipping today so i will need one of those to anyone know off the top of there head what size drive belt goes on there? gonna need a set of rings too thing started to smoke alittle today too. also the chains in reverse are a bad idea it caught the rear fender and bent it under. i was cussing pretty loud. what a day.

876wheelhorse

i pulled the plug and it was i belive over full. it was a chocolate milk color though. it smelt like rear end oil though.........new belt tommorrow and engine oil

rickv1957

Sounds like you have some water mixed in with rear end oil,I would change it also,Rick

stevasaurus

Drain it good...and if it has been sitting awhile, I would tear it open and check it out. They are expensive to fix if you have to replace bearings and seal. :D A $5.00 gasket and some good cleaning is worth it. Put 90 wt rear end oil back in it. :omg:

876wheelhorse

what kind of belt do i get for this? i got one today it was for a mower they looked the model up and gave me a belt i was cool. got home and put it on and it wasnt 5 minutes later the belt was destroyed. went up to the place i got it, because they threw my other belt away to get the old belt, told them the story and they looked it up again well they gave me one that was too short. so they gave me another belt so called the correct one. came home changed them out and destroyed that one also. am i suppose to just get a automotive belt??? that is what it appears was on it........ :omg:

pfrederi

Have you checked your idler pulley is it spinning freely and relatively quietly. Does the belt disengage when you step on the clutch. Eyeball the motor pulley tran pulley and idler...are they in good alignment??

Buzz

You do not want an automotive belt, they won't last at all. What you need is a belt designed for garden tractors and other eqiupment. If you have a Wheel Horse/ Toro dealer nearby the part number is 1576. It's 1/2" x 70". The cross reference to Gates is # 6870 and to NAPA is 4L700W. As has been previously stated, make sure all of your pulleys are in line and that your idler pulley spins freely. Good luck.

876wheelhorse

yeah everything is in allign....the old belt still works on it it just slips every no and then. these belts carquest gave me suck bad.