Sign in to follow this  
Raider12

Is this even Legal in any state??

Raider12

I was driving down the road today and I past the green tractor by the road side being used a "mail box" support. Now I have traveled this road many many times and have noticed this green tractor in the past. BUT.... I did not notice just what kind of "green" tractor this really is. What year and model do you all think it is?

Denver

IMG_9041.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

IMG_9039.jpg

smokin joe

its a suburban of some sort.makes for a good mail box support.dont think i would do it though.

Kelly

Looks like what's left of a 1960 suburban

Looks like it still has the foot rest on it

C-Series14

From what I have gathered, here in Ohio, you can't use farm machinery or anything that if someone were to hit it, it would cause possible severe damage to the vehicle or serious injury to the driver. In other words, common sense and just use a darn post and mailbox, not a 3' x 3' brick outhouse with the mailbox buried in the middle!!!

I have seen some things I wouldn't want to hit in my big truck let alone a smart car!!!

mowerman1193

Not sure about the green tractor but if you get a chance stop and see if they have any relatives that live in Delton MI..The person I am talking about has a old Wheel horse as a mailbox stand/post wachamacallit, A few years ago the tractor looked pretty nice with fairly good paint but I went past there the other day and its all rusted..Looked to have had pretty straight metal too..I always used to think it was kind of cool but now I think what a shame to use a classic tractor like that..

Kevin

mowerman1193

Hey where did you guys see the pictures at? I thought this was going to be a trivia post as I seen no picture..Then I reply and then see you all posted while I was typing..I never seen the picture?

clintonnut

Oh MY GOSH!!!

I saw that tractor coming back from Summit Racing 2 years ago and almost bought it. It is definatley a 1960 400 suburban. Looks rough and someone should save it and preserve it and maybe make it their MAILBOX. If it still there next time I pass by I will try to make an offer on it.

It looks like a replacement hood and remanents of a gastank hanging on the frame.

Funny you saw it! :omg::D:D

Charlie

Raider12

Oh MY GOSH!!!

I saw that tractor coming back from Summit Racing 2 years ago and almost bought it. It is definatley a 1960 400 suburban.

Funny you saw it! :D:D:D

Charlie

You are right about the location Charlie. It is just about 2 miles down the road from Summit Racing. I am an insurance adjuster and I travel a lot of back roads and see a lot of all kinds of things. I have seen this mail box for years and never really realized it was wheel horse. I bet I have seen this sitting there for close to 30 years now. But..... 30 years ago I chasing girls and driving fast cars, I didn't give a crap about and old tractor. :omg:

Rollerman

From what I have gathered, here in Ohio, you can't use farm machinery or anything that if someone were to hit it, it would cause possible severe damage to the vehicle or serious injury to the driver. In other words, common sense and just use a darn post and mailbox, not a 3' x 3' brick outhouse with the mailbox buried in the middle!!!

I have seen some things I wouldn't want to hit in my big truck let alone a smart car!!!

The brick mailbox containment units are popular here in IN.....as are old farm implements, aircraft radial engines, if your into roundy round raceing....more than likely you'll have a mail box post made out of engine parts in my area.

East of the Elkhart County fairgrounds a guy has a decent looking Pond Walk Away made into a mail box holder.

Gene_S

Thats pretty interesting Denver...

If you stop and ask if its for sale Charlie they might want $225 for it!

Roger from southern Iowa

I don't know if it's legal or not, but the tractor deserves to have a different home.

rickv1957

That 400 is the first wheel horse and maybe the only one used as a support for a mailbox,Rick

horsefeathers

THEM BUCKEYES HAVE SOME CRAZY STUFF! TRACTOR AS A MAIL BOX! I'VE SEEN A MAILBOX AS A TRACTOR IN OHIO! A REAL HOT BED FOR RODDERS. HORSEFEATHERS

Save Old Iron

In other words, common sense and just use a darn post and mailbox, not a 3' x 3' brick outhouse with the mailbox buried in the middle!!!

I put up a pressure treated 4 x 4 - plow knocks it down - I put it back up again - they knock it down again.

I tell them the new posts are two rebar reinforced 6x6 poured concrete posts dug below the frost line - somehow they miss it this year !

Funny how that works

rickv1957

Chuck,nobody seems to hit them when they kick back!,Rick

BPjunk

Folks,

Ya' is missin' the point here .......... the Wheel Horse used for the mail box was painted green 'cause a John Deere garden tractor could not support the weight of a mail box ! :omg:

Wild Bill

wh1257

nice post

wheelhorse551

Folks,

Ya' is missin' the point here .......... the Wheel Horse used for the mail box was painted green 'cause a John Deere garden tractor could not support the weight of a mail box ! :omg:

Wild Bill

You're right.

past7971

Denver

I remember when that tractor (1960 Suburban) was in MUCH better shape but he wouldn't sell it. The road salt from Rt 532 through Mogadore has definitely taken its toll on it. He told me he actually found it BURIED in his field after he noticed the top of the steering wheel sticking up through the ground.

For what it's worth, I have a complete 1960 550 with deck and snowplow if you're interested in one of those models for @$250. I'm between Hartville and N. Canton off Mt. Pleasant between Cleveland & Market Ave. Look for Buttonshoe Ave and stop in sometime. First driveway on the right-7971.

Have a "few" others out back that might interest you too.