Sign in to follow this  
dw1973

Need some advice for buying an RJ35

dw1973

I am going to look at what I believe is an RJ35 for sale tomorrow. I spoke to the seller briefly and he told me the following about it:

Hood is perfect / Has hole for gas cap - rule out RJ-25?

Has a 2.5hp or 3hp motor - he thinks it is a Clinton

Reverse does not work - mentioned a brass gear?

Variator does not work

Missing the belt guard

Tires are good

He is asking $400 for it. Is this a good deal? He started out at $600 back in December. If not, what should I offer tops? This will be my first RJ if I buy it and I am wondering how difficult and costly it will be to repair the problems listed above. Thanks in advance to all who respond.

dw1973

I forgot to mention POND is stamped on the transmission

clintonnut

If the pulleys and brackets are there for the drive system I would offer $375.

Charlie

rickv1957

Hello and :omg: Good Luck!!,Rick

clintonnut

Here's what you would want to see:

HPIM2936.jpg

HPIM2937.jpg

HPIM2938.jpg

Charlie

VinsRJ

First off :omg:

If the RJ is complete, fairly clean and has a nice hood, $400 is a good deal. There has been a couple RJ35s on e-bay over the last 12 months which looked as if both came off the deck of the Titanic. One sold for over $2500 and the other sold for over $1100.

Prices for these RJs are all over the place, and everyone will give you an opinion but if the unit is complete, clean and you want it..... don't fool around, get the deal done. The only reason its been sitting around since December is because it has been advertised wrong.

wh500special

....One sold for over $2500 and the other sold for over $1100.

Yes, but that $2500 one was an old, old, old example and had the cable steering still on it. I think its price was a bit of an exceptional case as the tractor was really an unusual find (no, I didn't buy it).

I don't like to give advice on pricing, but I doubt you'd be doing wrong at $400. Like any old piece of iron, prices are all over the place. $400 is probably close enough to "going rate" that you'd have to look quite a while to do any better.

Steve

VinsRJ

....One sold for over $2500 and the other sold for over $1100.

Yes, but that $2500 one was an old, old, old example and had the cable steering still on it. I think its price was a bit of an exceptional case as the tractor was really an unusual find (no, I didn't buy it).

Steve

Both ebay units were cable steers. One was in about half as complete shape with a couple broken/missing parts and sold for just under half as much.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to declare value here, but a RJ35 in fairly complete shape and fairly clean will sell for darn near $800 all day long.

smokin joe

if it were me.........it would be in the truck right now!!!you never know when youd have another chance to buy one!!! :omg::D :D

stevebo

I agree with Vince and Joe- somethimes you just have to buy it when you find one like that. Keep us posted.

dw1973

I bought it for $250 Here are some pics. As a newbie owner please let me know what it needs to original again. The motor is a Tecumseh 4hp HS40. How old is this motor? I hope I can find the parts for a reasonable price to put it back together right. Dave

dw1973

I can't post pics for some reason. I compressed my pics to 25kb. Can someone help?

dw1973

RJ11.jpg

RJ10.jpg

RJ9.jpg

RJ8.jpg

RJ7.jpg

RJ6.jpg

RJ5.jpg

RJ4.jpg

RJ3.jpg

RJ2.jpg

RJ1.jpg

smokin joe

Awesome buy :omg:

dw1973

Anybody have the parts I am missing?

RJ-3512.jpg

stevebo

That is a 55 for sure and an early model as it has the gas tnak stand. You will need to find a nice clinton 1200 to mount on that baby to be correct. :omg:

what parts do you need??

Ken B

Nice find eh. Just goes to show that there are still some sweet deals out there, the trick is being in the right place at the right time. :omg:

VinsRJ

I would agree, great buy.

The Veri-Drive may get a little pricey to repair but you are well ahead of the game. :omg:

dw1973

The left side lever is missing and I am not sure the lever on the right is the correct one. It seems to be missing a spring as it moves all over the place. I could use a nice parts diagram for the early models to see what I am missing or what is not correct. How much will the correct motor set me back? How does reverse work?

dw1973

I am not familiar with the veri-drive set up. Am I missing parts for it?

stevebo

You need a double pulley with a reverse disk on it I will see if I have a pic.

stevebo

pic of the double pulley with reverse disk

reversedisk.jpg

driver006

Nice tractor, there was a repo reverse pulley on ebay I think yesterday. Becareful it looks like and early model that came without brakes from what I can see from the picture. :omg:

wheelhorse551

Nice buy :omg:

rj35hunter

Hi everyone, I'm new here to red square, but not to wheel horse. I have been watching for a while now and decided to join! What made me join today was to share information about the post on the $2,500 cable steer tractor, since me and my wife are the crazy one's who drove to Indiana from Georgia to pick it up! :omg: