Sign in to follow this  
faster

deck repair

faster

hey im currently trying to pull off those two pulleys at the moment. the smaller one is on the bottom.

whats the trick to getting the pulleys off? im replacing all the bearings

Plowmaster, Mine came off very easy but if your having ahard time you might try some heat and a bigger hammer. The shaft should pound out from the top pulley side striaght throw the bearings and out the bottom side. Don`t use a puller you`ll bend the pulleys. Good luck post some pictures. :omg:

Wait, You may have trouble with the key but it should loosen it up.

Butch

Duff thanks. Most of the bolts I took off I think had 3 hash marks which I think might make them a 5. Depending on what I'm putting back togther I always use anti-sieze compund. Just gotta watch it around the brakes!!

rjr

Just adding my 2

rjr

Couple of more pennies. I second not prying or using a gear puller on those pulleys. You could do that on the old cast iron pulleys but not the sheet metal ones. I also had trouble getting the spindles out until I removed the 'O' rings. Once I got them off they came apart pretty easily. I held the pulley in one hand and tapped with a hard plastic mallet.

plowmaster

i had to cut the sucker off with the torchies. i tried everything too. i think i can get the pulleys at tractor supply

WH854

:) what is the easist way to get the bearings out of the mandrals? They don't go all the way out the other end. Is there a special puller for that job :thumbs:

Chas

Butch

Chas it's been a few months since I did it but I do remember using a series of different size sockets as drivers to drive them out. Then you can buy the bearings cheap on Ebay.

WH854

:) For the reply Butch That is the way I did it, but there has to be a better way than that. :thumbs:

Chas :wh: