Sign in to follow this  
faster

deck repair

faster

Some pictures of my 42" deck in need of repairs. I should buy a new deck but if I can get a few more years out of it with a big hammer and torch I`m game. The deck has been repaired long before I owned it and over the last 15 years it needs some work. As far as the deck I just welded up the crackes and hammered everything out as striaght as I could. The spindles housings I cleaned and blasted and picked up new parts bearing and seals and the spindle I got from Ebay for $40.00 great buy. Anyway have a look getting ready for the grass. :omg:

DSCF5079-1.jpg

DSCF5081.jpg

DSCF5092.jpg

DSCF5088.jpg

DSCF5089.jpg

DSCF5097.jpg

Roger from southern Iowa

Nice repair work.

That's doing what you have to! :omg:

rickv1957

Your deck will be ready for several more years! :omg: Rick

WH854

I remember the work I put into my 42 inch deck you are doing a good job get er done :omg:

Chas :D

Raider12

I have welded my older deck a few times over the years before it finally got to tired. Now is a good time to start looking for a bargin on a replacement deck. You have time to wait on a good deal to come by. Nice job. :omg:

tommy3horse

Hello Faster;

I am doing the same thing to a deck for my Charger 12. I have the older type spindles.

Weld em up and the last for awhile. I even got some 1/2" hot roll rod and welded it across the front edge for added strength. It will be good for another 10 years. :omg:

Tom

Coadster32

Good job on the repair, and :omg:

Wheelbearing

Great looking job.

Your lucky those spindle housings are in great shape. I have 2 sets that are eaten away like a zinc on a marine out drive.

I'm looking at the knurling on the spindle shafts wonder if that was repair work from before or is that factory repair on some under tolerance shafts.

I remember my father repairing my ATV rear axle by knurling the bearing surfaces then turning them back to the original size.

Really nice job.

faster

Great looking job.

Your lucky those spindle housings are in great shape. I have 2 sets that are eaten away like a zinc on a marine out drive.

I'm looking at the knurling on the spindle shafts wonder if that was repair work from before or is that factory repair on some under tolerance shafts.

I remember my father repairing my ATV rear axle by knurling the bearing surfaces then turning them back to the original size.

Really nice job.

I knurled the shafts 14 years ago to make the bearings a press fit. But not sure I needed to my new shafts are about .0007ths. undersize which makes them a slip fit. And when you think about it after everything is tighten down theres no need for a press fit.

PS. Still waiting for parts but hope to grind hammer and do some painting this weekend bought the IH red at tractor supply last night. :omg:

Butch

Faster how much to rebuild the mandrels? Did you get the bearings through Toro or elsewhere? Do you have the part numbers for what you bought? I have a 42" and am assuming the parts would be the same.

Thanks.

Butch

S. Jersey

faster

Faster how much to rebuild the mandrels? Did you get the bearings through Toro or elsewhere? Do you have the part numbers for what you bought? I have a 42" and am assuming the parts would be the same.

Thanks.

Butch

S. Jersey

Butch, I got the bearing from a company call The Big Bearing Store showed up today. The cost was just $2.70 ea and there straight from China which scares me but I hope they will last for a few years. I removed the seal from one side to have a look and they look ok but time will tell. Still waiting on a few more parts seals and spacers but did get some primer on it today.

PS. the bearing # 6203-2RS 3/4

DSCF5100.jpg

DSCF5103.jpg

Butch

faster it looks good! Wish mine were that far along. I just started tearing it down today. I have a dent on the corner but don't see any rust through. That's not to say when I sandblast it I won't tear though a weak point. I just hope I can get all the rusted hardware off. Those mandrels do have corrosion like someone stated earlier. I'll be able to get a better idea what they're like once I get them off.

Butch

I got it apart. I didn't realize how bad my mandrels were until I took them off and compared them to yours! Yours look good. Mine are pretty weak looking with all the corrosion that ate them up. The deck has several cracks. I have one big bend where the deck is pushed in. I couldn't get enough heat to it to bang it out. I don't wanna sink more than $100 into this thing so I gotta decide what I'm gonna do and check to see if the mandrels are useable.

faster

Shot some IH red with hardener from tractor supply today. Could have spent alittle more time on bodywork but all in all please with the outcome. Still have all the small parts to clean and paint but the hard part is over.

Need to get it finished some of the neighors are allready mowing.

DSCF5106.jpg

DSCF5107.jpg

DSCF5108.jpg

DSCF5109.jpg

Butch

Faster what the heck do you have tapped in to what appears to be your gas service? Don't tell me it's your gas grill!!

faster

Thats for a gas grill on my back porch only used it once but works get I just like my weber charcoal grill better.

PS. Butch post some photos of your deck I`d like to see it.

Butch

Thats for a gas grill on my back porch only used it once but works get I just like my weber charcoal grill better.

PS. Butch post some photos of your deck I`d like to see it.

My wife has me doing yard work with her!! I'm on a break right now. She most likely knows that helping her with her gardens does come with a price! She'd probably flip when I tell her 3 spindle assemblys are $300!! I didn't know that Toro no longer makes these style decks so I better fix it before the prices really go through the roof.

I'll take some pics today or tomorrow and post them.

Butch

PS The last few days have been excellent painting weather.

Butch

DSCN0088.jpg

DSCN0087.jpg

DSCN0085.jpg

DSCN0084.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg

DSCN0082.jpg

DSCN0079.jpg

DSCN0078.jpg

DSCN0077.jpg

DSCN0075.jpg

Butch

Faster my spindles are a different size than yours. Yours are 3/4" and mine is around .665 of an inch. So I don't even know what size bearings I need or what would be the correct spindles or spindle housings. I have no part numbers. Even though the housings look the same they very well could be different. You can see how corroded mine are. I may have to clean them up and reuse them.

I went to the Boca bearing site and tried to match up some bearings with my measurements. I couldn't come up with anything.

The Toro parts list doesn't state the measurements of the bearings and the spindles so mathing them is almost impossible with out the mower deck part number. The bearings I removed have nothing stamped on them anywhere.

Even if I were to buy similiar looking spindle assemblies I don't know if the portion of the assembley that goes through the deck is the correct size.

All the spindles I've seen on Ebay have keys. Mine do not. If I were to go to the 3/4" spindle I would then need the pullies that goes with them.

What a mess!!

Butch

Butch

Found info on the bearings.

9-7210 - Toro/Wheel Horse 109966 Bearing

Spindle bearing replaces Toro/Wheel Horse 109966. Fits 42" & 48" decks. Bearing No. 6203-RS, sealed one side.

Replaces OEM #: 109966,45-624

Size: ID 21/32", OD 1-9/16", Height 15/32"

rwilson

Whats your address? I'll ship mine right out!!

Butch

Ship what out? The bearings, the spindles, the spindle housings or a deck?!!!!!!!!!!!

Butch

Don1977

Go down to your local auto parts store and get 6203-2RS they are an old model Chev

alternator bearing. Just remove the inter cover from the bearing. The last ones I bought I had to go to three parts houses to find enough to fix my base.

Butch

Thanks Don! I have found them online plus on Ebay. They do vary in price depending on the quality. As low as $1.80 all the way up to $70.00 each!!

Butch

faster

Butch

Everything I see looks very rebuildable your deck is in alot better shape then mine. As far as the bend get a big sledgehammer and that bend will move just where you need it (without heat). And far your spindles even with the rot they should be ok just backup the bad threaded hole on the one with a nut and washer. I`m think less then $100.00 to get that baby back in running shape. :omg: