Sign in to follow this  
peyton

1st post look out

peyton

hi, i am not realy into wheel horeses, i like the simplicity and allis 1st. but while on the hunt in geting a allis big ten, this older man i bought the big ten from threw in this 702 wheelhorse, and the way it looked siting there i had to give it a home. now geting back to my question whilecleaning and fixing the tractor, ther is two layers of paint ond the 1st layer is yellow and the last layer looks likeit was brushed on but that is red. when i took the tank of to clean it was yellow under there also. did not find much searching the net, but i found this nice site and thought iwould like to ask the wheel horse guys. wish i could post pics. thanks for taking the time to read this peyton

Roger from southern Iowa

Hi Payton :party: The 702 was originally red, I'm sure.

Haven't checked yet, but where are you located?

The question has to do with your primary interest brands. B)

Roger from southern Iowa

Misspelled your name, sorry Peyton... B)

rickv1957

Hello and B) Rick

fabricator2009

B)

Kelly

This is interesting, I know there is a guy on here that has a 701 that was yellow under the red paint, and I just seen another tractor at least parts of a round hood that looked like it had been yellow under the red :party: I emailed him to check closer, maybe they had a run of yellow ones that we don't know about?? Wheel horse did not keep very good records on prodution numbers, or anything else for that matter, so it is very hard to pin down things with out guessing.

When you can post up a few pictures B)

802heath

hello and B)

peyton

thanks guys.

i live in hayward wi. ialso have 3 allis big tens and a 101 land lord 2 farmall cub and farmall A, and now the 702. hope i am not making enamies by talking about my other toys. i peeled of the corner of the 702 and it is yellow under there aswell. I was wondering if maybe someone knew if they would paint then yellow for town or county use. i have never seen a yellow wheelhorse, gust asking for grines. also am looking for allis simplicity pasts implments. What i need now is a complet carb for a big ten and the starter geb and brackets side covers also. my 702 did not come with any atchments maybe someone could help me out there, maybe deck blade or??????, well thanks guys for yor time

Kelly

I'm in MI. and have a few Sim / Allis parts send me a PM I also have stuff to stick on that 702 Kelly

Roger from southern Iowa

Maybe I was wrong....... B)

Maybe there is a corner of :party: world we will soon learn about.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Ole MN

:party: yellow B)

KeithB

Greetings and B)

rustyoldjunk

i have heard of a few models of other brands that were bought and used by state park services and a couple that i know of were bought by the U S air force that were painted colors specificly for those buyers.edit:after thinking about it,may have been navy not the air force.

MikesRJ

B)

VinsRJ

B)

Suburban 550

:clap: Peyton. That's the second Wheel Horse that I have seen that was painted yellow under the red paint. Was the company doing something we don't know about back then? :party: Could it have been special order horses painted yellow? B)

JimD

B)

Operator

:party: Fellow Wisconsinite B)

Randy

tgranthamfd

:party: I've seen a couple of pictures that was spotty yellow with red over them. Maybe they were toying around with some sort of sealer or etching primer. B) The ones I have seen pictures of, were of the same era. within a year or two of each other.

Coadster32

:party: I had a yellow 551 at one point in time. (doesn't help much I know) B)

dr74go

I am still new to the Wheel Horses, but have been around antique tractors most of my life. I remember at least two tractor companies that made "special" yellow tractors. John Deere and Gibson made yellow industrial tractors. The John Deere industrial series were designated by an "I" added to the model number, i.e. MI and LI. I cannot remember exactly what they were used for. The Gibsons were painted yellow instead of their normal gray. If I remember correctly, they were used by the military and ship yards. It has been over ten or fifteen years since I knew the specifics about the Gibson tractors, so this may be incorrect.

This is just a possibility for the yellow horses that show up from time to time. I have seen mention a few times about yellow paint under the red. When I see it I remember the other yellow tractors that were normally other colors. That's just my two cents worth.

peyton

thanks for the replies. i looked the tractor over good and there is yellow paint every whare. still not sure what to thnk. thanks

smokin joe

well.......im currently restoring a 701.it was also yellow under the little red that was left.my guess is it was some sort of primer.when i took the yellow off i was down to bare metal.heres a pic.

701.jpg

wheel horse 1045

the 701 i had also had yellow paint under the red

CasualObserver

Duke's 701 was also yellow underneath. http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=8470 Perhaps there was a brief attempt at using yellow primer? :omg: