Sign in to follow this  
ScottC160

New 520H

ScottC160

Hi guys, just bought a used 520H and I have a small problem. the guy who had it could only start it with the key switch in the starting position and used a wire I think came from the starter and crossed on the battery. Anything I should look for. Thanks, Scott

stevasaurus

Sounds like he is jumping around the starter solenoid. B)

brybrychrismer

sounds like it needs a new solenoid or it needs a new key switch

Bryan

ScottC160

Well, thats a start. I havent got it home yet. Will be here this weekend. I'll check that first. It was good buy. Paid $600.00 for it with a 48" deck. I believe its a 91 thru 93. Thanks for the help. Scott

rickv1957

Could also be one of the saftey switches that was bypassed,Rick

KeithB

time to get your test light and multi meter out B)

802heath

i agree its probably the solenoid, and the po was just bypassing it with a hot wire.

its a simple repair! B)

ScottC160

Thanks everyone for the help. When I get it home, I'll check your advice first. Scott

TT

I highly doubt it's the starter solenoid (they aren't cheap for the Onans either) but would tend to lean more toward corroded wire connections - which is typical with these models.

Look specifically in the area at the back of the engine (below the battery) for a white-colored multi-pin connector. This connector is the source of a large percentage of the electrical problems, along with the fuse block connections and PTO lever safety switches.

B)

Jim_M

It's not the solenoid. He's bypassing the safety switches by using a hot wire to the solenoid, therefore the solenoid works. The onan uses an automotive type starter with the solenoid bolted to the starter. The solenoid engages the bendix, you can't jumper around it.

I'm betting it's a safety switch, you can jumper around them one at a time until you find the one that's causing the problem.

9 times out of 10 the plastic bushing in the pto engaging lever is worn and it lets the lever droop just enough to keep the safety switch from closing. That's the one I always look at first.

Irv

I agree with TT. I would look at that multi-pin connector. I had the same problem with my onan.

04fxdwgi

Agree 100% that it's not solenoid. Tried to include diagram, but file is too big. I'll send via e-mail if you contact me for it.

billyban1

When my neighbor's 520 did that, I found one of the fuses was corroded in its socket. Check the fuses for a good connection or possibly being blown.

546cowboy

I went round and round with mine last year. I finally got fed up and eliminated the main harness connector with butt splices.

I also got rid of that fuse block and installed in-line fuse holders with the newer bayonet automotive fuses.

From talking to dealers about 520 electrical problems those are the two places to start.

dandan111

My brothers 314 had wiring

problems,clean and use contact

cleaner on all you can.We jumped

the starter for more than one

summer before getting it right.

Check all fuses and switches!

Seat safety switches were a problem

on his.