Sign in to follow this  
hoosier

What is it?

hoosier

Can a tractor be identified by serial number alone? I've been messing around the Toro site with no success. Problem is I can't positively make out the model number on one, the other I can't find any tag for model no., only serial no. on frame. Thanks

GlenPettit

Hoosier:

At the home page, click on the "Wheel Horse Picture Galley", you should find a tractor like yours, that should help a lot.

Lay a piece of thin paper over your serial # plate and try rubbing it with the side of a pencil lead (like grave-stone rubbings), that should help get some of the numbers. Post those here with about what tractor you think it is, we can find the rest of the correct numbers for you. All of your manuals are available for a free download through the Links here also.

Good Luck, Glen javascript:emoticon(':thumbs:')

hoosier

Thanks Glen. I'm guessing one is a Suburban 401? Serial no.60304. The other is a vert. shaft I'm guessing Commando V7 or V8. Serial no. 601236. Model number I'm a litttle concerned about. I can clearly see 1 484 -- T or something. Actually it looks like a backward 1. Not a T, but not a one either. Thanks

CasualObserver

Some eloquent descriptions of the tractors could help us ident them for you. The 401 should be the easy one. Obviously it must look like a Suburban to begin with... if it has push/pull choke and throttle knobs, it's a 401/551... if it has levers it's a 400/550. If it has a battery box it's the 5 series, if not it's the 4. There's many other features unique to each, but those I think are the quickest and easiest to identify. The vert I can't help so much with... you'll have to wait for Joel to get back online. He's the local "vert expert" I'd say. :thumbs: And of course... Pics are worth a 1000 words!

edit: just for kicks I checked the list... and there is a vert listed with a 1-4841.. the 1969 Commando V8. should have a KV-181S Engine... Type number 37108B. Check it out and let us know what you find! :thumbs:

hoosier

Thanks Jason. Push pull knobs here on the maybe 401. No battery box. I was wondering mainly about year of manufacture. As for the other, no engine for now, but I expect you are right on the model and year for this one. Thanks, Jim