Sign in to follow this  
dclarke

701 grinds into gear

dclarke

i can't seem to get the drive belt adjusted correctly. i can't shift into any gear with the engine running without grinding. i have a new idler pulley that measures 3 inches (same as the old one) i have a toro 9691 belt on it now. i have tried a napa 4l700 and a gates 6870 belt with the same results. the clutch rod is adjusted as short as it will go and still no luck.DSC00361.jpgDSC00366.jpg any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

TT

Have you tried it with the belt guard installed?

clintonnut

TT nailed it!

The belt guard should have a tab that would stick out below the engine pulley. When the Clutch pedal is pushed down the belt slackens and rubs on the tab. The tab pushes the belt up off the pulley allowing the belt to slow to a stop.

Charlie

dclarke

thanks terry and charlie. this has been driving me crazy.my belt guard has no tab on it. would anyone have a picture of one? mabey i could make it.

TT

Without going out and looking, (which I will probably end up doing anyhow B) ) I don't think the 701 belt guard had a tab.

The close proximity (of the open end of the guard) to the engine pulley forces the belt to lift out of the groove and allows slippage.

Later models also used a "finger" mounted in conjunction with the idler/tensioner pulley to help push the top "run" of the belt forward when declutching.

dclarke

i'll put my guard on and give it a try. thanks terry.

dclarke

that did it terry. such a simple fix, i feel like a dumda$$. i learn something new about these tractors every day. thank you very much.

TT

Glad to help, Denny! B)

sorekiwi

that did it terry. such a simple fix, i feel like a dumda$$. i learn something new about these tractors every day. thank you very much.

I felt like a dumda$$ when I did it too. I bet there's a couple of hundred people on this forum that have fallen for that one...

Glad you got it fixed! B)

Suburban 550

Denny, glad to see you got your problem solved. :party: We all learn something new everyday. B)