Sign in to follow this  
Helmer

C85

Helmer

I picked up a C-85 for the deck that was on it. Ended up with a real nice deck. Now I have an extra tractor without an engine. Are the C series all the same except the engine? The tractor is in good shape so I can't resist making it complete. Already tearing it down for restoration. Should make a nice tractor. I'll replace the plastic fender with a steel fender from an earlier C or a 300-400. So now I'm looking for a Kohler 10-12 hp to power this tractor ( I guess that will make it a C-105 or C-125). I'm not sure about what to be looking for as far as oil pan or mounting flange. I've seen some tractors that the engine mounts right on the frame and others like this C-85 that the engine mounts on a plate that is mounted on the isolatolation mounts. What's the difference? Is it the block or the oil pan or both. What should I be looking for? Thanks for any input.

c1651980

Hello! Not sure if the info. I have is completely helpful, but the operators manual for the c85 showed a engine model of K181s which is an 8hp Kohler. Hope this can at least get you headed in some direction.

Helmer

4402186308_88a06fe647_o.jpg

4401420747_7a114919a3_o.jpg

Here are some pictures. Everyone likes pictures B)

whfan74

Just put some motors up for sale in the classifieds...........check them out and let me know.

Kelly

You can put what ever engine you want on that machine, it will except both styles with no mods, yes the blocks are diff for the two diff. pans the PTO end of the crank is the biggest thing to look for you need a 1 1/8" but you can use a 1" crank and if you have the orig. 8hp engine you have the crank sleeve to make the PTO fit as the 8hp has a 1" crank, a few blocks will take either style pan but not many like that out there,

I belive mostly on JD's

Kelly

By the way if the fender is not broken bad I might be interested in it if you want to sell it??

rickv1957

10 thru 16 hp will bolt on easily,Rick

TT

I hear Briggs & Stratton Vanguard V twins fit pretty good too B) :

C18562609001.jpg